Ocotillo to plaster city\Superstion chu chu

cleartoy

Reaction
Ocotillo to plaster city\\Superstion chu chu

Who here has done the run from Ocotillo to Plaster city and or Superstion?

Im told there are nice washes and some dunes in the area south of 78.

Whats the deal?

94 Toyota stdcab 2x4
99 Yamaha YZ250

Got Sand??

yotatech

Reaction
Re: Ocotillo to plaster city\\Superstion chu chu

I ran this years protrux desert challenge, and we did a loop from the town of ocotillo, went through some washes, and canyons came out by plaster city , and then went over to the base of the superstition mnts. and back, is this what you are talking about. It was alot of fun. Ill see if can can get the map onto here. I dont have a scanner so ill get my friend to do it for me if you want.

deleted

----
Reaction

are you talking about Ocotillo Wells (not the town of Ocotillo) to Super or Plaster. that is a lot of fun. the section from the Blu In to San Dam is great.

Matt Scaroni
SMD Motorsports
Flat-Bill Up

sirhk100

Reaction

From ocotillo wells to plaster along choo choo is great. Pretty much wide open. To get there the easy way from Ocotillo Wells is to go down split mtn. road and take it almost all the way to the mtns. About 100' before the rail road tracks hang a left on the dirt road. That's choo choo road. There's some small dunes if you hang a left down the 1st or 2nd tressle. Basically turn left at the "party naked" tressel (It's got "party naked" spray painted HUGE accross it.

The fun way to get there though is to start in San Felipe wash and run it all the way down to the 78 bridge at Bluu Inn. Or just run 78 down to Bluu in and get in the wash there. Anyways, follow it under the bridge and keep going. It'll narrow down to just a couple car lengths in width and start winding around. This is a fun power sliding section. Follow it all the way to the pole line. At pole line hang a right. A word of caution here. When you get on Pole line Rd. look back and notice what the wash crossing looks like. Some times it's a 10' cliff into a wash 20' wide and then has a 10' wall. Just think coming the other way on the way back what's going to happen if you don't slow down there!!!!! Remember that spot for the return trip!!!! Sometimes it's fine but other times you'd total your truck there if you don't notice it. Anyways, like I said turn right outta the wash on pole line. Now this is a fun road!!! Rolling 1-4' jumps about every half mile. You can follow it till it makes a sharp right and you'll eventually cross a HUGE wash. At this wash hang a right and follow it to the rail road tracks. You can get onto Choo Choo there....

Well hopefully that didn't get you lost. If we're out there and I have my bike I'll show you the fun route if you can carry gas for me. If you just want to run split mtn down, I'll take the limo across...

Khris

'92 Ford Exploder (AKA Dezert Limo cause it's loaded)

TrucksR4Girls

Reaction

I tried to run to ocotillo wells from plaster city, it got WAY to sandy for my 2wd, had to turn around =(

DESERT SLUT'S....GOTTA LOVE UM!!!

sirhk100

Reaction

Yeah, about half way down it gets REALLY soft. I have 4WD but have never engaged it going through. I just keep the speed up around 50mph and it keeps pushing through. Also in some of the SOFT sections you can run up real close to the tracks and sometimes find some harder stuff. But, you have to watch out cause sometimes they have extra tracks sitting up there that if you hit would probably not be too good for the truck.

Khris

TrucksR4Girls

Reaction

Yeah I was thinking about going up near the tracks, but we were pretty far out and It was just me and a passenger no other trucks so i was kinda sketched about that. Hopefully I can do it again sometime but with a 4wd so it wont matter if I get stuck or not, hehe.

DESERT SLUT'S....GOTTA LOVE UM!!!

cleartoy

Reaction

Mss, yeah, i meant from Ocotillo Wells to Plaster and Super.

Sirhk, thanks again for the directions. Im printin it out for next time. Just got back from Ocotillo this morning(park side) and had a blast!!! 7psi got my truck up Blowsand the steep side.

94 Toyota stdcab 2x4
99 Yamaha YZ250

Got Sand??

sirhk100

Reaction

Oh [censored], that 2nd to last sentance is wrong where I say follow it till it makes a sharp right and you'll eventually cross a HUGE wash. I meant the road will make a sharp left. You'll be going forever if you're looking for a sharp right!!! Sorry about that, everything else looks right though...

Khris

Ryno

Reaction

I have done it a many times, from both directions (Ocotillo Wells-Superstition, Ocotillo-Hwy8-Superstition). I like taking pole line...but the tracks are fine too....You just cut across at the trailer (going south, left hand turn)...and you're there. There is some soft stuff...but a truck with 32's should do fine as long as you're not running 40psi. On bikes, there are as many ways to go as washes..I need to start programming them into my GPS. I'm going out this Sunday for the day...first day back on the bike in 2 months since my knee went out. I'll be doing the ocotillo wells-superstition ride probably around Feb.

Ryno

Build it like a Rhino, and Leave it be.

sirhk100

Reaction

Not sure how your knee is doing but if you want to hit up the track at Elsinore sometime, preferably on Fridays, let me know. I'll let you run the CRF around, that is if you want to?

Khris

cleartoy

Reaction

Im shootin for this weekend if i get my resivoir fixed.

94 Toyota stdcab 2x4
99 Yamaha YZ250

Got Sand??

Ryno

Reaction

Khris-

I am waiting to see what happens with work. I used to ride Elsi on Wednesday, but then people started getting on me about it, so I had to cut it out. If I can make it work, we'll see, but I don't think the Union likes their guys out on dirt bikes when they should be working =) What was wrong with the CRF?? I am looking into an 02 after I figure out what I'm doing vehicle wise.

Ryno

sirhk100

Reaction

Ummm, basically nothing. After having the entire motor gone through and the shop and I were completely outta ideas, they took some gas outta it to put in a bike right next to it at the shop real quick and then it wouldn't start. Hmmm, put fresh gas in it and it started right up...

I went back to Chevron in Ramona and asked WTF... They said they had a bad delivery of gas that day (day before turkey day) and had all the pumps bagged so people wouldn't use it. Well, mine wasn't bagged. I told them they are luck that I didn't get billed for the service and that I didn't put it in my vehicle too!!!!!!

Khris

Ryno

Reaction

WOW...that's so simple it's stupid. I always get my gas @ Hi way market. Bummer deal that the bike was down that long. I'm going to try to ride every other weekend...just to get back in shape...Coors is showing me who is boss!

Ryno

sirhk100

Reaction

You know what's funny is I usually get my gas there too. The problem was that they were closed and I need ice. If I hadn't needed ice I would've just swiped the card and got gas there but instead went to Cheveron. That'll teach me. Stupid is right, oh well, one thing is that I still have faith in it since it didn't really break.

Khris

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction

All so cal Arcos recently got bad gas too, it was on the news a few days ago....although arco is always bad gas anyways.

Kris
"Buy American before it's too late"

fishd00d

What A Joke
Reaction

Aw hell The Piece runs on Arco 87 and has for years! Nothing but the best for the piece!

Go Big Or Go Home
United Jumping Truck Society

dcman008

Reaction

my friends team, street bikes, took samples from each local gas station arco,76 ect. they found that arco gave them the most hp but left more resadew in the cylenders then the rest. i'll see if i can get a copy of the dyno print out and post it.

"on a scale of one to ten...i think im at least a bagillion!"
live long 91 cors-a-truck

mxjeremy

Reaction

That makes sense. If you figure that arco is the cheapest because the additives they use are cheaper than others. Obviously they don't burn well because they leave residue, but they do effectively lean out the fuel/air ratio. Hence the performance boost. Didn't they used to add gasohol? What in the he|| is gasohol?

I've never had any luck with arco gas. Seems every time I use it in my DR350, I have to clean out my carb after the tank is finished. My old toy never liked it either. It would always suck going up hills with arco gas in it. That stuff is never going in my Tundra.
late.