OEM 2WD front uprights and spindles

atomicjoe23

Reaction
OK. . .if you were limited to an OEM front 2WD upright/spindle combination what vehicle would you choose as a donor??? Make and model don't matter. . .for a 2WD buggy let's say around 3000 lbs. and 35-37" tires.

Let me know why you think what you think or why I should avoid certain ones.

85yota

Reaction
I would run some 4x4 IFS toyota knuckles. Cheap and easy to get, 6x5.5 pattern which is pretty common, bigger 2" snout, and 4 piston breaks all stock. Ran them on my 4200lb toyota with 35" tires for over a year, and on my new truck without any problems. Also they are forged so you have weld or do whatever you need to without having to preheat or anything like that.

Bajated

Reaction
I agree, we've been running them on our 7S truck for years and I'm amazed. Never had a failure and the wheel bearings last forever.plus a LOT cheaper than Pro-Am or other high end stuff, and you can get service parts in Baja.

atomicjoe23

Reaction
Cool! Thanks a lot guys. . .

. . .does it matter which truck I get them off of? Tacoma or Tundra??? What about which years are preferable???

Thanks again!

85yota

Reaction
you will want some off of an 86-95 toyota pickup or 4runner. or a 4x4 t100 has the same. If you get them off a 90"s v6 truck the brake calipers will have 2 big pistons and will work slightly better. if yo uhave access to a machine shop get some 79-85 bolt on snouts and run the newer hubs and brakes, then make the uprights yourself. heres a pic of my old truck spindles.

atomicjoe23

Reaction
That is kinda what I would rather do. . .make my own uprights so that I can have double sheer tie rod mounts and set my own geometry. . .but right now I'm thinking budget. . .so I think that I will be looking for some '90's V6 uprights/hubs.

Thanks!

atomicjoe23

Reaction
85Yota. . .I thinking of going with the '79-85 bolt on spindles and make my own uprights. . .

. . .if I were to do this what would you suggest (or what did you use) for making the snout clevis that the spindle bolts onto??? I would like to make the uprights so that I have double shear tie rod mounts, a 1" UCA vertical uniball mount, and a 1.5" horizontal uniball mount (double shear). . .what I'm most worried about is the strenght of the bolt-on spindle backing and the LCA clevis mount. . .I've looked at some and they are 3/4" thick plate (of course they are 1-pc. billet also, but I won't be able to do that) and that is a little thick for what my welder is capable of (3/8" max. for single pass) I could weld 3/4" plate if I bevel the plate and do a multi-pass weld (something I am not at all uncomfortable doing. . .I've been doing multi-pass welds with GMAW-dual shield flux core and SMAW 7018 and I have had my welds put through destructive testing. . .full penetration and fusion. . .no problems that could be picked at with root and face U-bends anyway) but trying to weld the clevis mounts onto the snout looks like it would be pretty tight and with chunks of metal that small I would have to be really patient (and make sure that I had everything clamped extremely well) and allow plenty of cooling time between passes and between welding each piec onto the snout. . .

. . .this would be the first time I would have done this type of fabrication before. . .I have built a full tube chassis, A-arms, trailing arms, and IRS driveshafts previously but nothing with this much riding on it (literally). . .I'm a little nervous about and just want to make sure that I know what I'm doing before I start. . .

Thanks for the help!!!

atomicjoe23

Reaction
Hey guys. . .is there anywhere that I can get either the '86-95 Toyota 4WD pick-up knuckles or the '79-'85 bolt-on snouts new (besides a dealership)??? I checked the Autozone and Kragen (Schucks or Parts America. . .still have to check NAPA though) websites and didn't see them on there. . .

. . .I can always go junkyard scavenging as well. . .I'm just figuring out my options right now. . .

Thanks!