Off grid solar

43mod

Reaction
Any of you guys good at this ? Battery selection is looking to be the hardest part . So many options . From fork lift batteries to Lipo . Then there is the build yiur own Lipo deal ? Seems strange that you can buy parts cheaper than a manufacturer , if thats really the case . So far 8000 w of used San Tan 250w panels , 6000w sun gold 240/120 inverter to allow small mig welder loads or AC . Batteries are the next large step .

Klaus

Administrator
Solutions
Reaction

Big fan of their product lineup. The FlexPower 2 / 4 is what I use for a grid on/off system. Buy/sell to the utility company. Switch to batteries when the grid goes away. It scales well to your needs.
very customizable in its configuration.
I went with Trojan 6v lead acid batteries as they at the time offered the best Amps/$ value. Its a 48volt system. In a residence fancy modern higher density batteries have no advantage as floorspace is cheap. Maybe they are price competitive today in 2021. I went the lead acid route and dont mind checking water levels regularly.

Fairly easy to repair. I had to switch a circuit board on an inverter a while back for a second 24v setup bought used to experiment with. It was out of warranty and support was amazing.

This is the vendor I recommend any day.

43mod

Reaction
The more i dig the darker it gets in my hole ! Learning a ton . Fork lift battery actually looking pretty decent at this point

ScoobyMike

Reaction
I live off grid 6 months out of the year. IMHO living off grid is more about lifestyle than technology. I have a 12V system with 460AH of FLA and a 700W inverter that runs my whole house. I run the generator if I need more than 700W, which is rare. Four 300W panels take my batteries to float every day.

Check out Northern Arizona Wind and Sun, it is a great resource for solar systems.

43mod

Reaction
Have that covered as well . One of our lovelies . 500 hp at 1200 rpm . About 30 trophy trucks worth of torque . Back solar now mg this is not purple

Attachments

• 570F9E59-4132-4ECC-889E-DBF9BF6C8703.jpeg
    570F9E59-4132-4ECC-889E-DBF9BF6C8703.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 39

JDDurfey

Reaction
Growing up in South America we only had electricity about 8 hours a day. It came on at 6:30 AM till noon and then again from 5:30 PM to 9 PM. We had 12v and 110v wired through our house. We didn't have an inverter to run 110v items if the electricity was off. In the afternoon we tried not to leave the fridge open long and everything would still stay cool. We had a solar panel to charge our battery, and also a trickle charger that ran when the power was on.

Thankfully for us the climate where we lived in the Andes Mountains did not necessitate heat or air conditioning. Of course AC is not required anywhere...people lived for thousands of years without it, but living off grid and needing to run a furnace would take some planning for sure.

43mod

Reaction
We are wishing to be able to run 1,2 or 3 12,000 btu mini splits at times . August is pretty brutal . Ordered new fork lift battery 48v w 94 KWH . Will know in a couple of months if it works , anything over 6 years will be a bonus .
Charge controls and fuses are next on the list .

JDDurfey

Reaction
We are wishing to be able to run 1,2 or 3 12,000 btu mini splits at times . August is pretty brutal . Ordered new fork lift battery 48v w 94 KWH . Will know in a couple of months if it works , anything over 6 years will be a bonus .
Charge controls and fuses are next on the list .
I saw a guy on Youtube that put a Tesla battery pack in his sail boat and enough solar panels to run a full size fridge with an icemaker. He had to be concerned about weight and square footage, but he really had his system dialed to be able to live comfortably off the grid and not need a generator.

43mod

Reaction
Lipo for sure goid when weight is an issue . We were looking at $15k plus vs $8k for a good bit more in lead acid capacity . Half the life more or less . F lift batteries are a far better unit than other lead acid batteries .