Off-Road Future

deleted

----
Reaction
THIS WAS FORWARDED TO ME SO I WILL PASS IT ON.............

A story completely made up (by an anonymous reliable inventive source) and not based on any actual events ..........

A well-known Trophy-Truck team owner spent some big bucks ($85,000+) and got a bunch of other teams to pitch in to make a TV program of a major race. They had 2 helicopters and 11 ground crews and a couple of really good commentators. They put together a great show. Actually several shows. They focused on Class 1, Protruck and Trophy-Truck. When they went to pitch it to different television programs/channels they pitched the show from the 3 different angles. Not surprisingly all the people who saw it were only interested in the Trophy-Truck show. Protrucks were boring to them and "What the hell is that contraption" was the comment for the Class Ones.

The only way desert racing is ever going to get mainstream is for someone to make a very serious commitment in $$$$$$$'s to produce quality television and pay to have it aired until (if ever) it gains enough of a following to justify the investment by a network.

Until then we have a great hobby that we spend lots of money on.

If desert racing ever goes mainstream there will be varying degrees of coverage for classes. Just like Nascar racing, there is room in the sport for a ton of classes but not on television. The slow classes would be like the local Street Stocks while the T-Ts are like the Winston Cup cars. I don't think (reducing the number of classes to) a few large classes is going to have an impact on our sport, or draw television to it. I, personally, would prefer fewer classes to increase competition ... but I don't think that would change anything outside the sport.

A. Non

Matt Scaroni
SMD Motorsports/ Protruck 27 / Excursion 4111

Mike_McCluskey

Reaction
Would it really be better for the sport if offroad racing became mainstream? I'm sure there are some positives that would come with bocoming a mainstream sport but at what costs? I'm not bashng either side of this issue (to become more popular, get TV / stay an expensive hobby, no TV) so please don't hammer on me. I'm just asking the question. Also isn't there a big meeting of the simpletons in Henderson real soon because of all the hype surrounding the race they just had. Now they want to ban all offroad events in that area. I read it on go-desert.com. Up until now these simpletons never knew there was offroad racing going on in their fine city but the advertising and hype was so good for the Henderson race they now know racing is going on and they want it stopped. I'm gonna leave my opinions out of this because I don't actively race a vehicle (proud pro-spectator here!) so I may see things lopsided.

Catawampus

Reaction
Again, here is the issue of getting off road racing on television, and again is seems we are putting the cart before the horse. I cannot imagine why any television programmers would want to show off road racing. Who would the audience be? Most people know nothing about the excitement that off road racing can provide. Television is all about making money. What advertisers would pay for a “spot”? What monetary return will the network receive? It is a numbers game. We need to get the public involved. Off road race cars need to have more exposure at local events, children hospitals, childcare facilities, schools. We need to give children and adults ride at special events, grand openings, or after races. If we can do a better job at public relations then people might start calling their television stations and start requesting off road racing.
I have been involved in off road racing sense 1973 as a spectator and a racer, and all the years as a spectator the off road racing community was distant. We (my family) watched the cars race by, and we went home – year after year. I would have been thrilled if a racer drove up to us and offered thanks for our support or just to say hi. Racers – we have many opportunities to get the public involved. Getting on television will only happen when there is a demand. Sure – someone might give it a chance – but what will sustain it? If anyone has money, I believe it should go towards public relations and efforts to get the public involved. Race promoters must promote the races and racers must promote the sport. I never see anything in the local newspapers about upcoming races, and I never see any fliers. Who is promoting off road racing?
Ideas??

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
If it became "mainstream" then they would start selling flatbill hats and SCORE jerseys at contingency! Every "prerunner" around would have a SCORE sticker because it is the"cool" thing to do even though they have never been to a SCORE race nor do they even know what SCORE stands for...hahahah. I like desert racing the the way it is.

Kris
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dmsrace.com>www.dmsrace.com</A>
"Jesus loves you, everybody else thinks you're an A-hole"

pciscott

Reaction
The dream of racing a Trophy Truck has become a reality for me, for how long though? Trophy Truck racing as a Hobby? Maybe for a few of the elite, but unless something changes and makes our sport more sponsor friendly my racing will come to a end soon. The cost is astronomical. A question for the spectators would you rather watch 3 to 5 trucks race, or see 43 trucks that qualify for the main event? We need manufacturers and good television in our sport! Also an open invitation to anyone who wants to see a Trophy Truck up close or have your kids sit in the front seat. We will be at Primm on Friday with the truck on Display from 1 to 3 pm, see you there.

God Bless America

Scott Steinberger Trophy Truck #7

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
Reaction
Good luck Scott and hope to see you in the desert (in a Trophy Truck) well into the future!

See ya in the dirt!

JasonHutter

Reaction
I know that I am 28 years old, but can I still qualify as a kid!?! I don't feel old!

Jason

IDRA_CRB

Reaction
SCORE does not "stand" for anything.

It hasn't been an acronym since the '70's.

Reese King

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
But do you know what that acronym is? I know you do.

Kris
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dmsrace.com>www.dmsrace.com</A>
"Jesus loves you, everybody else thinks you're an A-hole"

Gabe Lara

Reaction
Alot of valid points here...

I think the issue at hand for the television coverage is $$$. Big time $$$. That is one of the reasons that NASCAR is so sucessful with their campaign. Something else to take into consideration is the structure that NASCAR has in place. How many sanctioning bodies are there for desert racing? Do they all view SCORE or BITD as the "big time"? Granted they are at different levels, but its clear that BITD wants to take a closer look at putting on races in Mex, as is evident with their schedule. My feeling is that Mex has always been SCORE's territory, after years of hard work and built relationships. I think if, and I say IF , desert racing was to ever go "mainstream" structure and organization would have to come first and foremost. It is remain to be seen if it is a unification of sanctioning bodies/ organizations, or otherwise that will move it forward and make that step happen.

Sponsors will be reluctant to invest into something they will not see a return on. Period. Thus, no TT's on the idiot box.

My $.02 worth.

I love this sport...My hat is off to ALL racers from class 9 to TT's.

-Gabe

Tom_Willis

Reaction
If the races were to be broadcast on network TV the publicity would get us "spectators" like the a$$h0le who opened fire from the grandstands at Irwindale Speedway last week, because nothing attracts lowlife like a free event with no rules, fences or law enforcement. We would find tons of their trash after each race, too. And, what about all the spectators wandering off and getting their BMW M3's stuck in the siltbeds.. We would have to tow them out, then kill them all.

Gabe Lara

Reaction
I beg to differ a bit there, Tom.

The general populace is a bit timid to venture out into 100+ degree heat, to see their favorite racer/ racecar
zip by, doing the "whoop-de-doo cha-cha" WFO. And as far as venturing out in Mex, alot of people don't even want to go there in the first place, let alone for a race... trash is still an issue sadly enough within our own spectating community from time to time.

If they do decide to venture out, its our job as enthusiasts and fans of our sport to properly "educate" our M-3 non-driving brothers the proper extrication procedures from the said sand washes and silt beds... at their own expense, of course... I can hear it now, "Its not my fault the tow strap took out the front clip off your ride. That looks expensive to fix... maybe you should have a proper vehicle out here next time, buddy."

Mind you, we don't have to kill them, either. Just drink all their beer. (Urrrrrrrrrrp!)

-Gabe

DougM

Reaction
Ive been involved with and spectated off road racing for 27 years and have been following this thread as of the past day or so. Im no expert on organizing a race but have been around long enough to know what works and what doesnt. Nobody in any sanctioning body is promoting off road. its not a professional sport anymore, it a rich mans hobby as PCIScott stated. W/O factory backing only a "few" elite will survive the Trophy Truck classes. Look at all the TTs built then sold after only 1-2 races.

I feel that eventually the way that the sport will go is short course. Yes there will always be desert racing in Mexico no matter how small the desert gets in the U.S.(were losing more land everyday with all the kooks in office here in CA).
If SCORE or BITD (really the only two sanctioning bodies who are big enough) were to put on something like the old "Off Road World Champinships" at say Ontario Speedway or again at Phoenix Raceway, it might attract the crowds it needs.The Riverside races drew the largest crowds of any events (besides the Mint 400 of the late 70's) granted shortcourse isnt as greatand you dont get as dirty as in the desert, but the ability to film it for TV is much easier, more $$ for promoter and more folks would/are exposed to this form of racing. Alot of you may not be old enough to have ever gone to Riverside in the heyday, but it was a fun 3 day event. You could also camp there, wander thru the pits and you were sure to see ALL the big factory teams. I'm unsure if a yearly event like this would attract the throngs of spectators that it used to, but I for one would show up if it was anything close to the Riversides of yesteryear. Granted off road will NEVER be as big as roundy-round, but unfortunaely in my opinion, short course is the only real way to attract big name sponsers and the coverage that it deserves from media outlets.

Attachments

• 5-29298-gordonRside.jpg
    5-29298-gordonRside.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 125

MNotary

Reaction
SCORE does not "stand" for anything.

Taken in the wrong/right(?) text that may be a fairly accurate statement.

Marshall

Reaction
I think even one race a year (Navada 1000 or Baja 1000) would be a great show, Simalar to how they show Dakar Rally. But I don't see Desert racing being main stream for the simple reason its a west coast thing, not everyone has a desert in there backyard so its hard to relate. The sponsers what to promote events that apeal to the masses, short course would be that. The American people are lazy and want to sit, buy beer and hot dogs, and watch races. Look at the Euros, they hike all day just to see a rally car fly by once. MW

Donahoe

Reaction
Dont even get me started on this Topic.....

NEVER LIFT!!!!!

Gabe Lara

Reaction
Marshall,

I hear you, but WRC is absolutely HUGE in Europe... Probably bigger than NASCAR her in the states. We know of many WRC drivers, but you think that they even know of one NASCAR driver?

I think CORR has the right game plan... The cowds that gather in Crandon for the races there are getting bigger with every year. Its promoted with the right idea of bringing sponsors in, and they are seeing a return when their sponsored vehicle is winning.
Whos to say the same can't happen here on the west coast in the desert?
Its a matter of the right formula.

Honestly, I think desert racing is constantly on the rise. I can't tell you how many friends I've influenced here at work to get out to a race... And the Expo is going to be excellent this year!

-Gabe

martininsocal

Reaction
gabe- you are right and wrong. no- desert is not always on the rise, it is very tied to teh southwest economy specifically because 99% of the participants pay for racing out of their own pockets. when the econmy is poor in the southwest, car numbers drop, and vice-versa. corr odes have something going for it and something going against it. notary can correct me if i am wrong, but i would guess that car counts were higher prior to corr when it was the brush run, etc... and they raced all the classes like they used to at riverside. it is not a high dollar truck extravaganza which is alright and serves its purpose, but many racers were alienated when they repackaged the program and left out the little guys who were at the time getting occasional tv exposure.
pciscott and kreg can attest to costs to run in tt. i cannot, but i do know how much it costs to run in teh less expensive classes, and it is still a lot! if we had a series that combined shortcourse and desert in one series and required the entrants to run the same vehicle for both, i think it would work. in the '70's , when a shortcourse car and a desert car were the same thing with only a tire change made to help with different terrain demands, lots of people did both. now each type of racing is so specialized that it is costs so much to do both, you have to chose unless you are rich.
i think it could be done on the west coast, and then you could combine at the end of the year for a national champion, but then rules would have to be solidified between 2,3,4 even 7 different organizations. politics, personal egos, and end results desired will probably never let this happen.

and didn't S.C.O.R.E. originally stand for short course off road enthusiasts when mickey started racing in the riverbed?

martin

If your gonna go, go BIG