• Forum membership has its advantages....

Off road hiatus

Jorge Rodriguez

50% tortoise 50% hare
So I've been on an off road hiatus for a few years now. I used to be the co-driver for Elias Canchola Jr. in class 7 and we had some pretty good success. My last race was with Yiro in class 16 about 3 years ago.

I then got married, I now have an 11 month old son and I haven't raced or been to a race in a few years now.

I still love it more than most people as it was and continues to be my passion and has helped form me to the person I am today.

I plan to return one day and hopefully it'll be with a car of my own or even better, a race car for my son.

Point is, how many of you have taken a hiatus from off road and how long did it last and how did you get back into it.

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today

JDDurfey

My last race was in 2010. I was a bike racer until a scary crash in 07. I was a co-driver in the 07 1000 in a Class 1 car, and that was my last Baja race. I love Baja. I raced numerous times between 2000 and 07. I was at all the races several of those years. A couple of times both riding a bike and co-driving in a 16 car in the same race.

I moved to Texas and co-drove a few races out here in a friends 16 car, and got married and started a family. I still love the sport and would like to get back into it, but I don't have the monetary means to do so. Even if I had a free ride, I can't take the time off work with my current job to go to the races.

Someday I hope to get back out there and have my own vehicle. But until then I will be a keyboard racer and comment on this site. I have no idea how long my "hiatus" if you want to call it that will be.

Everling

20 years (1993 - 2013) Its just like riding a bike. I was comfortable the first time I got back in the car. The biggest difference is, now I'm one of the old guys and overall the cars are better and more competitive. We just finished building a new 10/12 car last week to solve issue #2 and we'll be racing the VORRA 225 this Sunday at Hawthorne. A solid 12 or 10 car is a good place to start. There are some good buys in the classifieds for buggies.
13227339_1205720462826849_2369539148284397135_o.jpg

Last edited:

bajafox

Accepted
Last year was my first year back even spectating since 2009.

Ill be chasing a heavy metal at the 500 this year and maybe help a 5/16, 5 open and 16 with visuals too

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

ACME

5 yrs from '93-98 due to lack of funds to do it right and family; the kid conned me back into it when he turned 16. We haven't raced since SF last year due getting new car ready and I think the wife is jonsing more than I am...

Fourstroker

Last race in the 12 car was V2R 2012. Sold our car in 2014 and started racing my bike again. Only do a couple of races each year. A Natl Hare and Hound and Parker(religiously) on the calendar. Gonna try to redeem my V2R gremlins next year on the scooter. Hope to get back in a car with the kids and nephews sooner than later

PDANK Racing

I've taken a couple breaks from racing for a couple reasons. 1st time was because I bought a house and had a baby, second time from selling the car and starting a business. I never had a long term plan to stay away though. I guess the nice part about it was that I got kind of a fresh start after the haitus. On the flip side, you also realize the sacrifices that you make for racing, because those experiences are aren't buried in your memory.

For me, it really comes down to the fun factor. As long as I'm having fun, and enjoying my time before, during, and after the race. Racing is worth the hard work and sacrifices. When it isn't fun anymore, I'll go do something different.

Jorge Rodriguez

50% tortoise 50% hare
It seems that even HUGE teams have taken hiatus from racing. Hopefully I'll make a comeback as they did.

1wayne

Been out since the 1000 in 1990. Miss it yes, just can't afford it anymore. Had a four seater for Baja. Couldn't get anybody to go anymore. Play around up here in the US, then had a accident at Parker going to the Desert Bar. Car got bent real bad. Started building a new 4 seater.about five years ago. Start going back to Baja about 5 years ago Just got the new car running and took it out to Plaster City last weekend for testing. Hopefully get her buttoned up this weekend and start going to Baja. Then come January, I am entered in the Baja 4000 Off Road Rally! Can't wait. 2971 miles of Baja should be interesting has been a long time since I put those kind of miles in behind the wheel.

Attachments

randy s

bottom line is regardless of the reasons, you can leave desert racing but you'll never get it out of your soul...suerte to you and your boy

AZ1000

2009 DRIVE CHAMP
Moved to FARGO, yes like the movie, and the TV show, and found the 1800 - 2000 mile one way tow was too much, sold the 1600 car into California, then a year later sold by SS Jimco to a guy in Canada. We've found lots to do up here. Some awesome SXS riding. One day we may do a rental before we call it done for good though.

Last edited:

1wayne

That dyno looks familiar! What engine are you running?
LC Engineering in Havasu. Toyota 3RZ 2.7L engine, stock with custom header, intake, SDS fuel injection. 140.4 @ the rear wheels. With 33X10.50X15 Yokos.

dsms motorsports

20 years (1993 - 2013) Its just like riding a bike. I was comfortable the first time I got back in the car. The biggest difference is, now I'm one of the old guys and overall the cars are better and more competitive. We just finished building a new 10/12 car last week to solve issue #2 and we'll be racing the VORRA 225 this Sunday at Hawthorne. A solid 12 or 10 car is a good place to start. There are some good buys in the classifieds for buggies.View attachment 169779
that's a good looking car

retroblazer

I'm on one of the longest forced sabbaticals in my 58 years. Last driving was the 2010 NORRA event, and last co-dogged with Bob Morton in his Class 3 Kia in May of 2014. I don't have anybody to blame other than myself for not racing, but my business is finally moving again, so I will be returning to do limited races. I will enter the Baja 1000 this year with my Blazer.

Jessaca

We have been out 2 years now. Blew the motor at the 1000 in 2014. Since then I have had a pregnancy and a broken ankle. Funds were hard to come by. Def plan on being there next year.