• Forum membership has its advantages....

off road jack

mexracer10

Ok if you have the money you buy an expensive aluminum race jack to mount in the race truck/ prerunner, but if you don't have that kind of money and don't want to buy the cheap harbor freight jack then whats next? I have a prerunner which is heavy, i have a hi-lift for general purpose, but for just changing flats i was thinking of using this set up, http://www.amazon.com/Powerbuilt-640912-All-In-One-3-Ton-Bottle/dp/B003ULZGFU anyone have any experience with this jack in particular?

mexracer10

I have a HF aluminum jack and it works awesome at the shop but it wont lift my truck, i did once and blew the seals out. So i just put in new ones but in the desert i would not want it to leave me stranded, my truck has a cummins in it hence the over weight problem lol.

Zambo

What I'd like is a simple telescoping bottle jack that operates via an attached rotary pump driven by your electric impact.

HF jack works well for me with the Total Chaos skid plate. but i agree with Mexracer, its mainly to change flat tires. nothing more since its small and compact.

Zambo

Yeah its cool but not strong or big enough for a truck. Also, I think it only goes from collapsed to full extend rather than intermediate positions (I could be wrong). I think it would be great on a race buggy.

motochris

This may be a solution:

http://www.off-roadweb.com/tech/1007or_foa_race_jack_quickest_jack_you_can_afford/

The real downside I see for this jack is that you have to have jack points already on your vehicle, which means its useless for helping another vehicle....
I've probably jacked up more stuff that DOESN'T have the mounting points than those with them. I just stick the snout under anything it'll stick to. Lifted my dually by the hitch receiver, lifted the forklift by the holes in the side....etc. No question for the most security, using the proper mounts is the way to go though.

loufish

I've probably jacked up more stuff that DOESN'T have the mounting points than those with them. I just stick the snout under anything it'll stick to. Lifted my dually by the hitch receiver, lifted the forklift by the holes in the side....etc. No question for the most security, using the proper mounts is the way to go though.
Like to see some pictures of that...:)

How well does your jack with an air powered gun?...I carry a CO2 tank and a 1/2" air gun....

CZRMAG

That jack by Powerbuilt looks like it would work good for prerunner trucks. It has a wide base so it wont sink in the dirt/sand, looks like it goes pretty high and can lift 6K lbs. The price is also good. I have a 12 ton bottle jack I use for my truck that has worked good so far.

SoCalRally

HF sells 2 aluminum race jacks: the more common 1.5 ton unit, and the less common 2 ton unit. The 2 ton unit is heavier duty, and more suitable for the front of trucks with diesel engines. Probably still near or over the jack specified weight rating, but a lot closer, and therefore less likely to blow seals.

Having said that, while I have the 2 ton HF, which I usually carry with me (though I haven't used it to lift the front of my truck), I also always carry an HF bottle jack. Since I have a diesel Excursion with an 8" lift, I bought the HF bottle jack that had the highest extended lift height that met the weight requirements with a decent safety margin (maybe the 12 ton version?, I don't recall exactly). The max extended height was still a couple of inches too short, so I went to my local big box hardware store, and had them cut an 8' x 1' x 2" thick plank into 8 1' x 1' squares, each of which are 2" thick. That way I can stack them, or even bolt a couple together for added height & to spread the load e.g. for when wanting to change a tire on sandy ground. The bottle jacks are cheap enough one could buy 2, one for each side of the axle, to lift a whole axle at once, instead of just one wheel, if necessary.

HardCharger81

Lets just say I "know a guy" that lifted the corner of his raised floor house to re-level it with a couple HF bottle jacks and an HF aluminum racing jack helping out too.

Zambo

I use a bottle jack in my pre runner. I have the Swag off road adapter welded to the end of it.

arqangel67

i just got a HF coupon for their aluminum jacks and was wondering which one everyone is using. The coupon lists (2) 1.5 ton jacks, one is bigger than the other and the 2 ton jack. So who's using what?

f1sleepy

Get the larger one if you can afford it, the smaller one is really light duty and will blow seals if you try to use it at it's max rating.

arqangel67

The smaller of the two is 14+ and the larger one is 17+ if I remember correctly. My truck is a mid size Chevy Colorado so it's not that heavy @4000 lbs.