• Forum membership has its advantages....

Off-Road love in Car and Driver!

JimmyD

the problem with the Ram Runner (although cool) is that you have absolutely no warranty once you purchase that add on kit. and in a circumstance like mine, the dodge dealership is the one who installs the kit, which in my opinion, is less than ideal. i want a guy who knows what the "F" an internal bypass shock is, and thats going to be the problem with about 97% of the dealerships across thhe county.

also, you can't put down the Raptor, considering it came first. Ram Runner is simply following in the path that Ford blazed. Also lets compare apples to apples here, a more logical 'even' comparison would be the limited edition $99k Ford Raptor race truck ford released against the ram runner, other than the off road only badging....

Kent Kroeker

the problem with the Ram Runner (although cool) is that you have absolutely no warranty once you purchase that add on kit. and in a circumstance like mine, the dodge dealership is the one who installs the kit, which in my opinion, is less than ideal. i want a guy who knows what the "F" an internal bypass shock is, and thats going to be the problem with about 97% of the dealerships across thhe county.

also, you can't put down the Raptor, considering it came first. Ram Runner is simply following in the path that Ford blazed. Also lets compare apples to apples here, a more logical 'even' comparison would be the limited edition $99k Ford Raptor race truck ford released against the ram runner, other than the off road only badging....
Actually, you will have a warranty - 3/36 on suspension when it's installed at a "4 Wheel Parts". There are 55 4WP locations across the country. They've been doing this stuff since 1962 and know about shock technology. The rest of your factory Ram warranty stays intact. 4WP is a Mopar WD and we're working with them right now to facilitate this.

You'll never hear me put down a Raptor. I've said many times, the Raptor the most important vehicle of this century. Ford had the balls to release it in a bad economy and now it has brought Baja (high-speed off road) to people in Florida and Ohio. What could be better than that?

Ford was following a trend that was set by our desert culture. Mopar is now following the same trend. Chevy will soon follow as well.

Eventually, guys in Arkansas and Texas will see that you don't have to drink a six pack of Pabst and go muddin' to enjoy off road. There are off road alternatives - unless you live in a Louisiana swamp - then you're just f'd anyway.

And I agree, a more accurate comparison between the RR and Raptor would actually be Ram Runner to the Raptor XT - the RR is closer in travel numbers and performance. Except the theoretical Raptor XT is not street legal and has no VIN. Let's not forget: the XT is just a fantasy. Ford won't produce it. Latest official info from Ford says "release date 4th Quarter 2011".

I'll make a bet we'll never see an XT in private hands. It's not a race car and it's not a real prerunner; it's a converted 4WD utility vehicle, just like the Raptor and Ram Runner.

Besides, Ford has some bigger problems right now. Problems with bent Raptor frames...

This is all about evolution and creating a vehicle that actually works off-pavement! It's going to take time to get right, but at least we have two manufacturers engaged in the idea of creating a more durable off-road inspired vehicle. Help prove the model and go buy one. When you are at the dealer look him in the face and tell him you bought one because your are an off-roader and this vehicle speaks to you.

KaiserM715

Kent, thanks for the info on the Ram Runner. Is there any video of it in action? I hope Chevy decides to get into the game. The more manufactures who get into this, the more the consumer wins. Good stuff!!
Besides, Ford has some bigger problems right now. Problems with bent Raptor frames...
I don't think I would put it quite like that. Ford has a set of customers that over drove their vehicles on unfamiliar terrain with one of them pushing all of the publicity trying to blame Ford. Speeds averaged 80+ mph and topped out around 125 mph on the tuned trucks. They were hitting 12" kickers at full speed due to their unfamiliarity with the terrain. Going out and blasting down a trail you have never been before is a bad idea and it bit these guys in the butt. The Raptor is NOT a trophy tuck (just like you said - not a race vehicle).

4x4nutz

The factory raptor is basically a crappy stock full. Wouldn't place in any race against competitors. The dodge is the same. You have to go the limit on suspention to make either truck a viable race vehicle.

Kent Kroeker

The factory raptor is basically a crappy stock full. Wouldn't place in any race against competitors. The dodge is the same. You have to go the limit on suspention to make either truck a viable race vehicle.
That's true. But I've seen much crappier Stock Fulls on starting lines. One year at V2R I saw a SF with a single white Rancho on each corner.

On the front of our Stock Full Ram, we've got a 4.4" and a 3.0" Fox bypass on each corner!