Off-Road Magazine

John Bitting

Administrator
Reaction
If you have not gotten the latest issue of off-road it has great race coverage. This is the second issue with the new editor Joel Mollis and the magazine is taking on a different look and feel. I think good things are happening and I wish them the best of luck. I am paid up for three years on my subscription so I hope it continues to get better.

fishd00d

What A Joke
Reaction
Ya I like the cover statement....wonder where they got that :)

Go Big Or Go Home
United Jumping Truck Society

Donahoe

Reaction
hmmmm? Fish I dont know probably in the 60's when someone first coined it.......

NEVER LIFT!!!!!

fishd00d

What A Joke
Reaction
Ya probley....just havent heard it much in my lifetime heh.

Go Big Or Go Home
United Jumping Truck Society

Brian Mapes

Reaction
The cover statement is Go big or Go home! Yea the last few issues have been pretty good. Been putting some desert stuff in the mag. I just got mine the other day.

You gots to pay da cost to be da boss. - Snoop

martininsocal

Reaction
I like the fact that they still run some race coverage and throw in a prerunner or race truck every issue, but they are heading towards the "bigdumbtruck" era they left when Sieman(sp) was in charge. And the whole lift a truck so much that you have to make a fake frame to get it to pass muster in the eyes of the state lift laws is pretty stupid if you ask me. (imho) I really like the back to basic stuff like the James Gang early f100 prerunner awhile back.

If your gonna go, go BIG

Brian Mapes

Reaction
Yea I think that they are turning too much towards big trucks too much. but what are you going to do about it. THe majority of people that buy the mag want to see the 20 inch lifts on 44's so that is what the mag has to give them.If they did all desert trucks and stuff then they would go out of business, Like what happened to dirt pilot. And building the drop down frame for it to be street legal is actually illegal. it has to be the original frame. not an add on like what that 4paly ford has.

Jerry Zaiden

Reaction
I think Off-Road is doing a great job for desert racing. They are one of the only ones to bring us to a national level. Lately we have had big ones like Motortend and Road & Track. I feel that any Mag coverage we get is only good for our sport. If Ford sees that we are there and the readers are there then Ford will be there. Joel keep up the good work!

I know of a better Silver F-250 for the cover though:)

dcman008

Reaction
workin are you talking about the 4play in simi valley or is there another shop with the same name?

"on a scale of one to ten...i think im at least a bagillion!"
live long 91 cors-a-truck

DougM

Reaction
Yeah its really hard to find any coverage on off road racing beside Off-Road and Dusty Times.
Back in the 80's there was 4-Wheel and Off Road and they covered the new Trophy Trucks from about '89-'92 but then they completely stopped coverage!

The Yellow F150 in this months issue is nice.

Im suprised they moved Randall Jachmann to Photographer instead of Editor, wonder if it had anything to do with the Jeepspeed incident and his truck?
I'm sure editor is a difficult job though ..

my .02

Brian Mapes

Reaction
I dont know where 4 play is located but i assume it is the same one. They got a 22 inch lifted silver f250 on the new off road mag.

Waldo

Safehouse
Reaction
Off-Road Mag is probably the only national magazine that runs any dez racing coverage. The editor only has a certain amount of control these days. When Rick Seiman was the editor, he ran mostly race related (Score/hdra, Mickey Thompson, etc.) tech and editorials. The powers at be didn't like it and dumped him when the circulation numbers went down. Someone stated above that it depends on what the public wants and is interested in. That is very true. Hopefully Joel will reperesent the magazine better in print than he has in the past on this board.

yotatech

Reaction
I know four wheeler does the baja 1000 every year and maybe other mexico races ocassionally but that all.

19Ranger97

Reaction
its the 4play truck in simi alright...I guess those lights on the bumper were for show - they changed it back to stock....I stopped by that shop off easy st to get a quote on some lights.... nuthin but huge trux riding on 44s....hey, DCman, what do you drive? maybe Ive seen you around town. - late.

-xXx-
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.kraproom.com/teh/Site/index.html>97 Ranger 4.0</A>

DougM

Reaction
<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

trophy trucks started in 94.

<hr></blockquote>

Yes but they(4Wheel &OffRoad) covered all the class 1 trucks that eventually went on and became TT.

TRDshaunTRD

Reaction
From what I understand, there is a legal maximum that your headlights can be from the ground, and that’s why nosebleed trucks have lights lower like that. So its not just for looks.

"Those who risk nothing, are nothing."

Brian Mapes

Reaction
Yea you are right. they have to be a certain hight from the ground, that is why they lowered them.

Im gonna waste away my life cuz i really dont care, jump every bump in my truck all tires in the air

19Ranger97

Reaction
ok, you guys don't seem to understand....Its back to stock, and the truck still drives around town... in the mag, is when it was setup w/ the light on the bumper. =P

-xXx-
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.kraproom.com/teh/Site/index.html>97 Ranger 4.0</A>