Off Road Racers Hand Book

MARXICO

Reaction
I started this thread so our community can share suggestions and experiences that will be useful as a template or guide line to make an Off Road Racers Hand Book that focuses on all aspects of racing participation from driver to chase crew safety. Hopefully it will grow into something that promoters will add to their tec requirements. They would develop their hand book from our suggestion’s and include a written test for all race participants before being banded for an event ,testing would be annually when you pay your membership. As mentioned before by racers we need to be licensed ,this would give it some meaning as offenders could have theirs suspended because of repeated stupidly by them or chase crew, all the way down to leaving trash in the desert .So far there is no system to make people accountable for there behavior, this would be a start.

Topics would be in different chapters from driver proto call, radio use, fueling procedure and chase crews and basic first aid procedures.

ndvalium

Rescue Director
Reaction
Good Discussion Topic:

Here are a couple things I would suggest that I do for our medical teams as well as the other agencies that we may be in contact with at events. The concept could easily be transferred to individual teams:

Develop a very detailed operations plan that is at the very least given to every chase team as well as a team representative that isnt at the event to refer to:

Include-

Race Overview - where it is going with maps - highway conditions for access roads being planned. Pit stops - Hotel Info with rough estimated timelines.

Contact information sheets- Not just a one call number for one person - a phone number, email, sat phone - for every team member. For a person in the states removed from the race that will be available during the race. For drivers, co riders everyone involved. When something bad happens, you want your communication from your team, not what they read on the internet or hear from weatherman.

Individual truck overview sheets - You already are doing inventory sheets for mexico usually, have each truck have a book that have the info. what the truck has for inventory, what the capabilities are - what planned stops it will be at. and then have your representative have a copy of all so they know the entire plan.

Have a page for each team member - Medical History, Meds, Allergies - Emergency contact information. Have someone removed from the race have a copy as well as each team truck having this info for there team members. Each truck should also have this info for anyone in their race car.

Have an Emergency Action Plan - When things go wrong - Have pre determined meet points. gather points or directions who is going to contact too with a back up in place as well. What to do when someone is missing. Include emergency contact information for hospitals, law enforcement and medical resources. I produce these for every BITD race and if you are interested in what one looks like PM me and I will send you a copy.

Include your radio use. This should include not only call signs but expected language, procedure and in some cases channel / frequency that people will use. Always have your actual frequency number available. All of the Race Relays for every series have the ability to dial on every channel and while you may be in a canyon a mile from your race car unable to talk to them, the relays have a great coverage and can talk to anyone if you have that frequency available to give to them.

For First Aid - Let me see if I can find a down and dirty guide - Bleeding - Make it stop / Not Breathing help them breath kinda thing that would help for the purpose of this discussion.

MARXICO

Reaction
All Race cars should have a strobe light mounted on the roof to be used when stuck on course.

Chase vehicle’s should be registered each event to the car competing and held accountable for all actions during the race and should also be required to run a strobe light on the roof when on course.

Any car that requires a Blue light should have turn signals to notify the vehicle behind that it is aware of their presence and intention of what direction it intends to pull over. Nothing more dangerous than approaching an a slower car and they are trying to signal you with a couple of fingers waving thru the hole in the window net ,that’s when they need both hands on the wheel and focus on where they are going to pull over .A directional signal would be a definite form of communication .Some will say race cars don’t have turn signals, we have a wide range of vehicle’s on one course that are not evenly paired, something to consider after all we use horns to communicate why not a light .

Widow nets should have a secondary release besides the usual top latch. The bottom of the net should be mounted on a bar so a hitch pin (large cotter pin) can be removed so the bottom of the net can be removed also if the occupant is having difficulties with the primary latch system. The small seat belt latch type is a joke when trying to open with big fingers while wearing gloves. Some have a knife to cut their way out but who here as practiced cutting a window net, seat belt or test fired their fire suppressing system, we are all relying on theory rather than experience.

CRAIG_HALL

Reaction
No matter how simple it may seem a few need to be written down.

• Never remove your helmet. Only if you have complete unobstructed view of course and are 100 yards from active course or possibly active race lines.

MARXICO

Reaction
Sober up race community we are only one race from extinction .We cannot afford another tragedy at any race here or in Mexico whether it happens on the track or in the pits

Race vendor’s if there is no racer there is no vendor, step it up and provide safety information and hands on support

Racers this is a limited time for your suggestions and input, after all you have all the experience.

Race Licenses advocates, what makes determining factor if a licenses holder A Black Amex card or passing a test pertaining to practical racing sustainability?

Currently there is no standard operating procedure in the event a dump can develops a crack and starts to leek, yet we allow pressurized refueling systems with assumed trained personnel. How do you neutralize petroleum or deal with a spill? Come on Vendors Contribute

You don’t always get to choose who pits next to you, wouldn’t you feel better knowing they passed a test that made them aware of how much fire suppression they are required to have for the amount of fuel they are storing next to your pit .Currently there is no rule saying a competitor cant pressurize a fuel drum with an air compressor to fuel his car …this could be parked next to you because you allow it.

Everyone is a rookie at one point race teams and course workers are volunteers that come and go with no prior experience, it is our responsibility to have a hand book that all new and old can refer to for standard operating procedure.

If our community publishes a hand book on line competitors could be required to have a copy in the pits so everyone involved could be I on the same page and have banded personal complete a test on line prior to the event

Any one holding back from posting because they are afraid of environmentalist groups trolling this site, can’t assume the liability or just don’t want to hassle with more rules keep your head in the sand .Our history is to talk up a storm of good will after a tragedy and it slowly fades away lets change that now

As a Racer You and your team are your liability, how would you feel if you were the contributor of a tragedy that harms someone or ends our sport?

You are either the cause or the cure; your efforts and acceptance could make a difference.

Bryan Racing

Reaction
Sober up race community we are only one race from extinction .We cannot afford another tragedy at any race here or in Mexico whether it happens on the track or in the pits

Race vendor’s if there is no racer there is no vendor, step it up and provide safety information and hands on support

Racers this is a limited time for your suggestions and input, after all you have all the experience.

Race Licenses advocates, what makes determining factor if a licenses holder A Black Amex card or passing a test pertaining to practical racing sustainability?

Currently there is no standard operating procedure in the event a dump can develops a crack and starts to leek, yet we allow pressurized refueling systems with assumed trained personnel. How do you neutralize petroleum or deal with a spill? Come on Vendors Contribute

You don’t always get to choose who pits next to you, wouldn’t you feel better knowing they passed a test that made them aware of how much fire suppression they are required to have for the amount of fuel they are storing next to your pit .Currently there is no rule saying a competitor cant pressurize a fuel drum with an air compressor to fuel his car …this could be parked next to you because you allow it.

Everyone is a rookie at one point race teams and course workers are volunteers that come and go with no prior experience, it is our responsibility to have a hand book that all new and old can refer to for standard operating procedure.

If our community publishes a hand book on line competitors could be required to have a copy in the pits so everyone involved could be I on the same page and have banded personal complete a test on line prior to the event

Any one holding back from posting because they are afraid of environmentalist groups trolling this site, can’t assume the liability or just don’t want to hassle with more rules keep your head in the sand .Our history is to talk up a storm of good will after a tragedy and it slowly fades away lets change that now

As a Racer You and your team are your liability, how would you feel if you were the contributor of a tragedy that harms someone or ends our sport?

You are either the cause or the cure; your efforts and acceptance could make a difference.

Bryan Racing

Reaction
Mark, I applaud you.Somethings need to be done.If you recall I made an effort a few years ago,I got some interest from a few professionals in the fire,medical aid,and communication's (weatherman)arena.Sal fish and I had a few discussions,but it never got off the ground. Now maybe with the latest tragic incidents some action can take place.P M me and I will give you my direct contact info.

zjohnson

Reaction
From my experience in mexico I would say a lot of the emphasis needs to be put into the crews behaving safely. I like the idea of all the pit crews having a base understanding of safety procedures, but it is mexico and how can that be policed. (I think the best way is to hold all other chase crews accountable for policing ourselves, don't drive like a richard cranium).

With the teams I went to mexico races with we had a couple universal policies that worked out -

#1 - Don't put yourself in danger to support the racecar (don't speed, don't drive when you are tired, take risks, or anything bob bower talks about in his letter).

#2 - Exercise common sense. If you wouldn't do it in the us, or at your house, or in public, don't do it in mexico. Don't pit on the outside of a corner (or a dusty dry lake bed).

#3 - Radio use - Have a frequency that is your own, don't have useless conversation.

#4 - No alcohol for anyone on the crew until all racecars and chase members are safe and back at the house/camp/hotel.

Some other useful pieces of information that I'm not even sure that I know -
- Hospital locations, along with police locations that are close to the race course and chase roads.
- Maybe some sort of a general checklist/procedure for an accident on the highway, what to expect from the local police and what to have ready.

Another thing that could be super useful and I think it was mentioned above is a rough timeframe schedule, know when your car should be at a given location, along with how long it should take you to get there with normal race day traffic. I feel that this is something the race organizations should be able to provide as they have very good knowledge of the course and the chase roads.

***LAST THING - Everyone in a chase truck, racecar, should have basic knowledge of first aid, its not a hard class to pass, doesn't take much money and time, just a couple hours. This should be the first part to getting in a chase truck, not everyone can rebuild a shock, or change a third member, but everyone can help someone hurt, save a life, etc . ..