Off-Road Racing class

Terrie_Tavis

Reaction
I was asked by our local middle school to teach a four day course on Off-Road Racing. I will have FOUR hours to fill. I thought about safety issues, equipment, videos, maybe even tire changing (if their safety rules will allow it). Any other ideas?

Bad Ass Toys Aren't Just For Boys!!!

01_el_tiburon

Bait Fish
Reaction
just give the kids a couple of good race videos !!!!!!

just kiding

el tiburon

BIG_FAT_LOSER

Reaction
You can mention how off road racing can be a family activity. Either 2 wheel or 4. Do not forget to mention some positive veiws on eviromental issues. I have found that our childrens school only mentions the negitive side of things. No mention of the cleanups and other volunteer help / assistance that the of road community does.

<font color=red>PAT KAPKO</font color=red>
<font color=yellow>Self appointed King of ghetto fab</font color=yellow>

bpthirteen

Reaction
Tell them that if they want to go off-road racing, they need to choose a career that pays very, very, very well.

www.prepbyjake.com<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by bpthirteen on 05/14/02 11:42 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

orvacian

Reaction
Tell em about the hot chicks! JK :) And tell them if they want a really nice off-road truck, not to get married! he he Oh, tell em to get a Toyota too. Lastly,warn them about the dangers of having a Disco truck without protection(roll cage), and what the early symptoms of Disco are.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by orvacian on 05/15/02 00:22 AM (server time).</FONT></P>

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
Reaction
Very cool Terrie. This is what our sport needs. Definatly point out the postive things off-roaders do for the enviroment and how it is a family activity as Pat has mentioned. If you need any video I would be more than happy to help.

Tony
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.y-not-productions.com>www.y-not-productions.com</A>

martininsocal

Reaction
terrie- I would start with the history, how it evolved from the experience the folks came back with from WW2 and the jeep. that is what really got people out there. how people weer racing motorcycles here in the US and how they started running Baja. expand it from there, the growth, the heydays of the '70's, how offroad racing directly affects the vehicles they drive through factory R&D, how safe it is, how fun it is as a family sport. look how tread lightly was developed with a lot of racer involvement, how stadium racing developed out of the desert...that should keep you busy.
don't forgetto drop some big names like parnelli jones, ivan stewart, the mears brothers, dan gurney, ted nugent, and throw in the modern day stuff like robby gordon and jimmie johnson. mention how the nascar drivers are looking to do the 1000 this year.

martin

If your gonna go, go BIG

Waldo

Safehouse
Reaction
Terri, what school and where is it? That is an awesome idea for kids. If they are actively participating they will be excited to learn more about your program. Are you presenting to the enitre school or just one or two classes? Every year I bring one of my dirt bikes into my own class for an informal presentation. Sometimes there are a couple other classes included as well. Many of the topics you mention are what I cover. It sounds like you have been invited to do this by the school personnel. That it great! I would recommend the following:

*Tie the some part of your presentation to the curriculum. For example, Math required for engineering of parts / suspension travel / engine displacement / etc.

*History of off-roading and racing - Base this on the students' prior knowledge. Ask them who "off-roads" or "rides dirt bikes". I am sure some of them have or know someone who does. Actively engage them or they will be bored!

*Include the Skills necessary to campaign a successful team - Organization, testing / practice (like when students do their homework, they need to practice also!!!!).

*Finally, talk about the hard work that needs to be dedicated in order to have the "fun" things, like off-road racing, in their life.

Hope this is helpful.

BRAAAAAAAAP!

Rory

Crayola Killer
Reaction
Terrie, What a great idea! Nice to see some people out there making a difference. The ideas coming in are a step in the right direction. Someone touched on the enviroment, I think that would be one thing you want to hit on first. Ask them what they think of when they think of off road racing? I'm sure most of them think like that we just run blindly out across the desert. Let them know we run on exsisting dirt roads and washes. Also, tell them to bring trash bags out to the desert with them while they are enjoying the outdoors and "keep it cleaner than you found it". If they don't have a place to ride or race, whats the point right? Good luck on the class and let us know how it turns out.
P.S. How did you get asked to do this anyways?

Racers Only

Paige

Reaction
Terrie - I have some curriculum from the BLM on off-roading for school kids. I think everyone's ideas here sound good - I will add that you might emphasize safety first and proper use and maintenance of equipment. Learning how to ride/drive before they go our and tear it up. Then proper use of lands and how to care for them and be a responsbile visitor to all areas that they will recreate, desert, forest, etc. Make sure to go over how they shouldn't go into areas that have been closed for habitat or other protection. But most of all emphasize the great fun they can have.

I'd say do a powerpoint presentation or get the videos as mentioned, and bring your car. Take a driving suit, helmet etc and let kids try them on (you might want to bring your husbands since your so dinky). If you bring your car, let them get in side and belt in, see what it feels like. I bet they'd dig it if you got them outside.

The other ideas included in here sound great, with the curriculum inclusion and history, R & D and famous names, I think you can fill 4 hours

<font color=yellow>Paige<font color=yellow>

Terrie_Tavis

Reaction
Once a year, the local middle school has an "exploration week". The school has mini-courses that are of interest to the students such as photography, art, swimming, sm engine repair, gardening, theater,etc. The school called me and asked if I would be interested in introducing a course on off-road racing (since they know I race). All of your ideas are greatl And you're right...its a good way to integrate topics such as drugs, education, environmental issues, etc. I'm not very familiar with the history of off-road racing tho. If someone would like to e-mail or pm we with a little history, that would be cool! I will take my shortcourse car as well as John's a-arm car. Mine will be in the shop being prepped for the Nevada 1000. I plan to have a tire changing contest, if the school allows. Pls keep the ideas coming....

[url]www.tavis-racing.com [/url]
BAD ASS TOYS AREN'T JUST FOR BOYS!!!!!!

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
I think I can get you some Davis Motorsports Key chains. PM me.

Kris

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dmsrace.com>www.dmsrace.com</A>

FABRICATOR

Reaction
Paige went right up to the line, why not cross it a little bit.
You might mention how there have been strong political pressures that have closed many areas and are trying to close many more. And that these pressures are brought about by certain small groups of uninformed people. And that some land closures have been made by some politicians just over money and not because of damage to the environment. Bring up the NBC poll!

This might be considered by some as crossing over the line just a tad, but this is exactly what is at stake and would really be the most powerful and eye opening information that can be passed on. It would be based on facts instead of propaganda as others use. It is also miniscule compared to what the liberals do everyday to kids of all ages, every chance they get. Depending on the school and teacher, you would need to be careful in this area if you ever want to be invited back.

<font color=orange>The best ideas are the ones that look obvious to the casual observer.</font color=orange>

jimpat

Reaction
Terry....send me the address. i have boxes of stickers going back 25 years......
i'll send you some and some photos of the old days
jim
dont forget to explain to the kids: always engage your brain before you move your hands...... think before you act....

when everything is under control, you are going to slow!!!!!

jimpat

Reaction
Terrie....sorry about the mispelled Terry..
jim

when everything is under control, you are going to slow!!!!!

Terrie_Tavis

Reaction
I have received quite a bit of help from CORVA. They are sending me a stack of news letters, as well as 40 books (I don't need that many, so I'll save some for next time) entitled, 'Taking The High Road' which dispells many myths of OHV and recreational land use (I hear it has lots of pictures in it, which kids like). CORVA is very excited about this class (taught to kids) and has talked about doing something like this for a long time. They want feedback after the class is over.

http:// [url]www.tavis-racing.com [/url]
BAD ASS TOYS AREN'T JUST FOR BOYS!!!!!!

Paige

Reaction
Terrie,

I have an article I wrote on Taking the High Road - ORC never ran it - but once I get my computer at home fixed, I can send it to you if you want it for reference. I read through taking the high road - It has some great info that I tried to summarize.

<font color=yellow>Paige<font color=yellow>