Off-Road Racing class

JenDiggityDirt

Terrie...What fun! We'll send you some stickers and information, too! When is the class happening? Paige...maybe Terrie could get permission to copy that very cool CORDR coloring book you made?

<font color=red>JEN!</font color=red>

Terrie_Tavis

Jen, that would be great! They would love those stickers! We don't have Pre-runners around here(near Yosemite Nat Part) but we definately have 'dirt'. Most everyone around here has an off-road vehicle of some kind. The topic of pre-runners will definately be covered, tho! They're a very important part of racing!!! The coloring books sound great...except that these kids are 13 and 14 years old ...might work if I do this again with younger children. As a matter of fact, a month ago, I was invited to go and talk to a preschool. I took my shortcourse car, all my saftey equipment, and I was amazed at how interested they were!!!! They could not take their eyes off the video (nor could the parents, ha ha). The class starts on May 28th, there will be 16 kids

www.tavis-racing.com

BAD ASS TOYS AREN'T JUST FOR BOYS!!!!!!

offroadaction

Terrie,
Congrats on the opportunity! As a volunteer Child and Youth Counselor, I know that the kids will love it! I have done a few classes like this in the past. When I was living in BC, the club I was involved with did a lot of work with the local Big Brother and Big Sister chapter. While we were officially a 4x4 club, we put on a lot of distance and short course races. About 4 times a year, we would take the kids and their BB or BS out on a trail run. Not a hard one, but something that was fun and scenic. We stopped for lunch at a lake and made hot dogs over the fire, etc. The kids had an absolute blast. Twice a year, we would do a race car day in which we would take them out for a few hot laps in the buggies and trucks. Everything was covered under the clubs insurance. A few years after we started this, I saw some of the kids coming into the 4x4 shop I managed to buy parts and inquiring about the how to get involved in the club.

In Calgary, I did something that I got in a lot of trouble over. I was working with a group of 16-17 year olds and happened to mention that I was into racing and four wheeling. A couple of the kids showed a lot of interest. I invited everyone to a local show and shine with a RTI Ramp, some monster trucks etc the following weekend. More showed up than I expected and they brought some of their friends. We did a lot of talking about 4x4's and racing over the next few months at our group sessions. It actually worked out very well. If you talk to children about what interests them, no matter what it is, you can somehow turn it around so that they learn from it. Geometry and 5 link suspensions is a perfect example. Anyways, I approached the group I was volunteering for as well as the school about building a tough truck...like how the high schools have drag racing teams that build the car from scratch, prepare it and race it. After six months of getting no where, a friend and myself rented a shop and picked up a beater blazer. We invited some of the kids to come out on their own and help us build a tough truck. A few showed up and we started stripping it down. The deal was that they had to help in every aspect of the team...from building, to cleanup, to seeking sponsorship, attending trail clean ups, etc. No drugs and No Alcohol. We helped them write up sponsorship proposals, but they had to approach the potential sponsors. That was really tough for them after the first few flatly refused these teenaged kids looking for money to build a race truck,but you should have seen their faces when one of the local speed shops donated some used parts. Talk about building self esteem! Then we got broken into. Luckily, everything was covered under my insurance, but the kids were devestated. They had worked so hard and now the tools were gone, the walls were spraypainted and the somebody took a hammer to the almost finished Blazer. We sat down and had a meeting...some were talking about revenge as they had an idea who it was. Then the person I least expected stood up and said that he was pissed, but now he knew how it felt. He had done some B&E's and never thought about the people. He put his heart and soul into building the truck, like all the kids had. He said that is what hurt the most...that somebody had damaged something that he had worked so hard for. We then talked about that for a long time. To be honest with you, I think this was a blessing in disguise. This is when the high school found out about what we were doing. I got into a lot of trouble because I had invited these kids without getting authorization...I told them that this was totally unrelated, but the disagreed and I was not allowed to volunteer with the Calgary School Board any more. Or most other volunteer counseling organization either. We rebuilt the Blazer and got it ready for the first race. You should have seen the kids faces. We drew names out the hat to see who would drive...we by far had the loudest cheers! I have moved on to Toronto and am working for CASCAR (Canadian version of NASCAR). We do some little events geared towards kids, but I am currently working together with one of the driving schools and the Ontario Goverment for a future event.

By the way, the fellow that stood up after we were broken into is now working on the counter part time at the local 4x4 shop and another is going to school to become a counselor. :)

Sorry for the long post, but this is something that really hit home. I believe that the children are our future and that with our help, they will survive. I do not post here very often as a lot of the talk is about racing "down south", but I do read the board every few days.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://offroadaction.8k.com>Off Road Action</A>
Canada's Largest Off Road Racing Site<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by offroadaction on 05/19/02 07:14 AM (server time).</FONT></P>

Terrie_Tavis

The donations for this class keep pouring in...its incredible!!!! Shirts and posters from BITD, Posters from SCORE, cool key chains from Davis Motorsports, tons of literature as well as some really cool books from CORVA, Dustytimes, Off-Road Advertiser, Videos from RDC, course markings and some really cool teaching materials from MDR, and so much more! I will post the names of ALL the wonderful organizations and individuals who have contributed to one of the first ever, Off-Road Racing Class for kids, as well as the follow up story, on my website. Hopefully, this is the first of many more classes to come!

www.tavis-racing.com
BAD ASS TOYS AREN'T JUST FOR BOYS!!!!!!