Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Parker

Votes: 5 9.6%
  • Other spots

Votes: 5 9.6%

• Total voters

MTPyle

RDC Crypto
So we got to run our truck at Barstow this weekend. I was amazed at the terrain and great trails for testing the truck. You can find every level of whoops and even some really big stuff.

We have now been to most major test areas and I think Barstow is the best that we have been to. I did not know it would be that good.

What other areas are popular for testing?

We have been to Plaster,Jean, Apex, Parker, and now Barstow.

Is there anywhere better than Barstow or should that be our new go to?

BTW- do not go there on Saturday. LOL

Mike

Attachments

• IMG_1422 2.jpeg
    IMG_1422 2.jpeg
    4.6 MB · Views: 142

Borracho Cantina

RDC Crypto
So we got to run our truck at Barstow this weekend. I was amazed at the terrain and great trails for testing the truck. You can find every level of whoops and even some really big stuff.

We have now been to most major test areas and I think Barstow is the best that we have been to. I did not know it would be that good.

Mike

McMillins said San Felipe was good testing.
Especially for suspension.

MTPyle

RDC Crypto
So a few people are picking Plaster City over Barstow.

what do you like better at Plaster? Or is it because Plaster is closer to where you live?

they are all super far for us so it all the same

only thing I didn’t see at Barstow was a flat stretch for top speed runs like a lake bed.

Mike

J Prich

RDC Crypto
Proximity is one of the biggest factors IMO. I would venture to guess that most teams pick from your list based on what’s closest to them.

MTPyle

RDC Crypto
Proximity is one of the biggest factors IMO. I would venture to guess that most teams pick from your list based on what’s closest to them.

yeah that would be nice. Haha

closest actual whoops for us is Apex but it’s hard and I think abuses the truck too much. Barstow seems to have different levels of whoops to decide how rough you want it. I didn’t feel like we were trashing the truck at Barstow.

but our truck is as dialed as it’s ever been so that might change how it seems.

Mike

J Prich

RDC Crypto
yeah that would be nice. Haha

closest actual whoops for us is Apex but it’s hard and I think abuses the truck too much. Barstow seems to have different levels of whoops to decide how rough you want it. I didn’t feel like we were trashing the truck at Barstow.

but our truck is as dialed as it’s ever been so that might change how it seems.

Mike
Jean is better than Apex in terms of variety of terrain IMO if you’re coming all the way to Vegas anyway.

Dezert00Taco

RDC Crypto

Mike
Never test in Barstow on a weekend haha. Most people who test there go during the week. There is a lot of different terrain there. There is a few washes you can go all out. But definitely not on the weekend

E.Hagle

RDC Crypto
We made the mistake of going to Barstow as well right at the height of shutdowns in California. I can’t believe some people are allowed to have children. Kids stopped in the middle of the main drag so small you can’t see them. Awesome area during the week.

tapeworm

RDC Crypto
I don’t think there is any better place to test than the actual race you are setting everything up for.

With that being said, Barstow is a great place to setup a vehicle for an off road race BUT there are very few roads in Barstow that are not rough, even the access roads are whooped out. I wouldn’t setup a truck in Barstow for a race like Silver State (I’ve never raced Silver State but from what other people have told me.) If you can go fast in Barstow, you can pretty much hold your own anywhere else. Barstow “main” seems to be the go to spot, but I’ve had better luck at Slash X or even Hodge Rd. Less people seem to show up at those two spots.

JDDurfey

RDC Crypto
I don't know about the other areas, but Plaster City is cool because you can film from the paved road while the race car is pounding the whoops. When we tested there the suspension tuner road in a pickup and watched how the car handled and made adjustments from what he saw.

Tom_Willis

RDC Crypto
I don't know about the other areas, but Plaster City is cool because you can film from the paved road while the race car is pounding the whoops. When we tested there the suspension tuner road in a pickup and watched how the car handled and made adjustments from what he saw.
In Barstow a drone can safely "watch" you through even the roughest terrain. And I'd bet you could find someone with an expensive, professional quality drone who'd be happy to do it just to get some crazy video.

MTPyle

RDC Crypto
I think Jprich is right that most people will go to the closest area. But I think there are many that have gone to all of them.

We go out for different reasons. Since SDG set up our truck we really don't need to tune the suspension anymore. Its just set up right and no need to mess with it.

We mostly go out to shake down after prep, verify any changes, or to just get seat time. For all of those we need rough race type terrain to push the truck and us.

We had the Stig come out and drive our truck to make sure its doing what its supposed to do and nothing weird. The Stig was happy and so are we. Haha

We do still have some fuel system issues we are chasing. but I think we have it figured out.

Mike

EL ROMAN

RDC Crypto
Proximity and accessibility is key. I think you are forgetting Johnson Valley on the list, too. People love whoops, or should I say, social media loves whoops. Whoops are just one part of tuning suspension. In general, you want various terrain to truly test. I also like an area I am familiar with. If an hour or 2 is taken just to get to know the terrain or course, it is time taken away from true tuning. Seat time of any sorts is good, but making fine tune adjustments comes from comparative and repetitive runs. I also like an area where you can really open it up to test other car functionalities (cooling, electrical, braking, tracking, etc.). I voted, do I get an "I voted" sticker?