Off-Road Trivia Pic

TDORSloppy

Reaction
I came across this picture a couple months ago and thought it was really bada$$, but I didn't want to post it until I knew all the details. I've had a bunch of people tell me different things but I found a news article written about this crash and now I know the whole true story, do you?

We all know that its Ivan and Walker but what race? what year? and what happened because of this accident?

Attachments

John Bitting

Administrator
Reaction
95 maybe. Walker ended up running down an ESPN camerman in a corner and ESPN, Dodge and Walker left after that.. Truly a sad event.

Jerry Zaiden

Reaction
I was standing about right where that picture was taken and saw the whole thing happen! Very Scary, I did not know I can run so fast.
I also have some great video of that race. To bad it is on VHS. There were 20+ TT's and a bunch of laps. That race was also on a Friday. It was a great race.

Reaction
That was the beginning of the end of full factory involvement in SCORE Off-road Racing. It was the 1995 SCORE Tecate Fireworks 250 Trophy Truck Race at Barstow. It was held on a Friday the day before the regular race for all the other classes. It was by far the best and the worst Trophy Truck Race ever! The best because there were 18 trucks that ran 12 laps around a 21 mile course. Spectating was pretty much open and there were lots of great places to watch the race from. The action was intense! Jimmie Johnson had the physical lead most of the race in Larry Ragland’s Class 8/TT (that now belongs to Penchansky Bros.) but never had the actual lead. On lap 8 Jimmie Johnson and Jimmie Smith (in what is now the PCI #7) came together after both passing one of the Walker Evens Dodges (Jack Johnson or Steve Kelley) and Jimmie Johnson rolled very hard.

It was the worst race because on lap 9 coming into the Start/Finish area Walker was trying to pass Ivan Stewart and ran up over the back of Ivan’s truck then veered off to the left and hit ESPN cameraman Mark Gleckl, killing him. This resulted in several lawsuits and Dodge pulling out after the end of the season. As a side note, the next time you are sitting/standing along the course, as we did this last weekend at Primm, realize that you are only fractions of a second away from disaster. Just ask Craig Stewart, a la the Baja 500 incident with Jason Baldwin.

Dave and Paul Simon, Jack Johnson, Robby Gordon each lead the race at various points but in the end the Simons won, Jason Baldwin was second and Ivan was third. Other than the accident, I would love to see racing like that again.

Donahoe

Reaction
You go Ramsey!!!!!! Jeese I was at the race working for Walker and I dont even remember that much stuff about it. I just remember Walker sitting in the Race trailer after the Race sobbing... It was Really hard on him. I could only imagine. Dangerous sport sometimes. There by the grace of God go all of us.

racer951

Reaction
you sure it was 9 laps? I riember fireworks laps were about 64 miles. I was at that race as a kid and heard about the cameraman getting killed. Walker was passing in a strict nopassing zone coming up to start finish. From what I've heard from old times in the sport, he's taken out many cars and trucks with no remorse. The old school Billy Bunch of the sport i guess.

klaus

Administrator
Reaction
OUCH Production has a video f the 1995 Fireworks.

Order it from him (see video section on links). Its Trophy Trucks only. Good stuff.
Or borrow it from me if you know where I live...

Reaction
No, it wasn’t 9 laps. It was 12 laps around a 21 mile course as I stated above. The race the following day (Saturday) was four traditional laps. That race was interrupted by a brush fire that bunched us all up together for 30 minute and we lost the time advantage we had and ended up third. Acts of God (flash floods and fires) can ruin an otherwise good race and give the advantage to a back marker who is lucky.

Walker’s mistake was not as cut and dried as you make it sound. The Start/Finish Area as all Check Points is a “No Passing Area” but the contact was just outside the marked Start/Finish Area. Walker was obviously close enough to Ivan to be in his dust and was probably focused on his amber light and not able to see the entrance to the Start/Finish Area. After a review of the situation, Walker was DQ’ed. Both Walker and Ivan are Pillars of our sport and I wouldn’t be second-guessing their actions.

Kreg, those were good days and good races, and great racers! You were lucky to be so associated.

Jerry Zaiden

Reaction
This was a pain in the ass but I was able to pull it off! I had to transfer a VHS tape to a mini DV tape then into the computer. Then edit it. 3 hous later and here it is. The quality is not that great but it is fun to watch.

CLICK HERE TO SEE IT

JPDesertsports

Reaction
Thanks for the vid. I enjoyed that. It is nice to see how fast those trucks were with the, "antiquated" technology of yesteryear.
-JJ

blazersracing

Reaction
I, too, was right there when the accident happened. We had just pulled up to that spot and we noticed the cameraman right outside the turn befor the finish line. I was sitting on top of a fuel cell in the back of a baja bug when I heard everyone yelling "their racing." By the time I got my head out of the baja, I saw that exact picture heading straight for me. All I could think of was Walker barrell-rolling on top of the baja so I ducked my head under the roll-cage and kissed my ass goodbye. Then I looked up in time to see Walker fly by in front of me still on 2 wheels and thats where the cameraman was hit. Just befor the accident my friend Tim had just told that cameraman that he shouldnt be on the outside of a turn and he just shrugged it off and said "I have been here all day with no problems". That was definitely unforgetable and one of the saddest days in Off-Road history. I still remember Walker sitting in the drivers seat 20 minutes after the crash. He didnt move for at least 10 minutes in the truck.

blazersracing

Reaction
Thanks for the video Jerry. Thats some awsome footage. I was at the Stoddard Wells RDXing jump at the same time you were. That was the first time I had ever seen a TT was on that turn and hitting that jump. I never thought I would ever see that again. Thanks again Jerry. you da man!!!

JeffS

Reaction
Awesome Jerry !!! Thanks !!
You even got the old PCI 7s Ranger in there at the end. Very cool.

Baja_Seve

Reaction
Jerry,

This is classic video - thanks!

Ramsey,

Thanks for the accurate first-hand account, it's something to think about prior to every off-road race. I think Mexico is really ripe for something similar, if not worse, to happen next. Baldwin-Stewart incident should've been so much more catastrophic.

Seve

Tom_Willis

Reaction
The turn was marked with snow fence on the inside to establish the boundary of the course, then again outside to establish a safe runoff area. The cameraman elected to stand IN FRONT of the inside fence. He left himself no place to go. If a spectator had stood there we would have chased them away, or thrown rocks at them.. If a child had been there someone would have grabbed them by the ear and dragged them off.. This guy had a wife and two kids. He should have known better.