OFF ROAD TRIVIA RETURNS!

buggyracer1677

RDC User
Reaction
martininsocal said:
hey rory-wasn't that great watching roger wheel over the line with only 3 wheels and the lower a-arm plowing the ground! you are right! barstow in july(at night) was one of the best, most traditional races there were. having been a northern california native back then, the summer months were when we did most of our venturing south for offroad races. and the folks of barstow and v-ville were great too! who went to any of tom moesners pre barstow parties? everyone drinking except norm shaw(didn't like to wet his driving suit!) the night before the race. pitting in the college parking lot, who remembers the petrified coyote at the exit of the parking lot that someone spray painted flourescent green about 1982? boy, miss those races.

If your gonna go, go BIG
The race with Roger and Manny batteling hard all day and Rodger loosing the wheel and finishing on 3 wheels was in Sloan nv, dont remeber the year but it was one of the first Gold Coast 300 that scaore put on.
Silent Jay

Chase 2

Reaction
highonthai said:
Gary and Duane jones.
Cooper,Moto Islo,amex2, Jislo something like that. Jeez..long time ago.

Nope, but Gary & Duane are a good guess, I don't think that Duane ever raced Baja, The riders were Tommy & Cordis Brooks, the bike was a 125cc Carabella!

Rory

Crayola Killer
Reaction
Website
www.racers-only.com
buggyracer1677 said:
The race with Roger and Manny batteling hard all day and Rodger loosing the wheel and finishing on 3 wheels was in Sloan nv, dont remeber the year but it was one of the first Gold Coast 300 that scaore put on.
Silent Jay

Jay, it happened twice. First time was in 85 or 86, the second time was at the 87 Goldcoast 300. I remembered it rained all morning, Bob and Robby Gordon Overall in class 2 and Ivan won class 1. Roger actually lost a wheel and tire coming into the finish and just keep the throttle down and Manny caught and passed him within sight of the finish line. Ends up Roger beat him by 2-3 seconds on "Corrected time". Great race, one of my favorites!

Chase 2

Reaction
AZ1600 said:
The Brooks Bro's rode a 100cc Harley Davidson Baja.

Sorry but the 100cc Harley Baja (Dean Goldsmith tuned/built) riders were Terry Clark, Mitch Mayes and Larry Roeseler.

Team Carabella tried to break into the US market in 1970. EC Birt was the tuner along with Tom Brooks Sr. (I was working for EC porting cylinders at the time at Precision Cycles). Tommy & Cordis rode the dez, Bob Brooks (no relation) rode MX, and I got to ride as an “alternate” MX rider with Bob for a while (I never did get along with MX tracks!). Tommy & Cordis did both the 500 and 1000 but DNFed both times. I’m pretty sure they also rode the Mint 400 on the same bike and also DNFed.

After the Carabella ride, the Brooks’ got the DKW rides and then moved on to Bultaco after DKW pulled the plug.

I went Shark fishing with Tommy a couple of months ago. He’s the current California record holder for Mako Shark at 980 lbs.!!

Chase 2

Reaction
Chase 2 said:
The company was owned by Norton/Villers, and it wasn't a Greeves.

Triumph/BSA, LOL!! That's like saying Ford/Chevy!

1970 Baja 1000, the rider was Whitey Gregery the bike was a 1970 AJS 410 Stormer!

buggyracer1677

RDC User
Reaction
Rory said:
Jay, it happened twice. First time was in 85 or 86, the second time was at the 87 Goldcoast 300. I remembered it rained all morning, Bob and Robby Gordon Overall in class 2 and Ivan won class 1. Roger actually lost a wheel and tire coming into the finish and just keep the throttle down and Manny caught and passed him within sight of the finish line. Ends up Roger beat him by 2-3 seconds on "Corrected time". Great race, one of my favorites!

Rory Yeah that race was the race I was thinkin of, Iknow I still have it on video somewhere, but It was a great race, When Manny passed Rodger there was just inches betwwen the two trucks it was pretty wild. That was my favorite course, I never got to race on it when it started in Sloan, but I got to watch alot of good races there watchin guys like Jack Johnson make history there in the Frontier 250 days, alot of great memories.
Silent Jay

Chase 2

Reaction
Did these brothers have some acomplishment that caused them to stand out? After all if you weren't riding a Hodaka in the trail bike class in 1972, you were riding a Harley Baja.

Last edited:

Chris_Wilson

Reaction
Well it is now time for "Off Road Trivia" to return, mainly because I like coming up with the questions, but it would also be nice to stump Tony B. as well, so here goes.

1. What was the title sponsor of the 1988 Baja Internacional?
2. Who won the 1983 HDRA point standings in the Nissan Cup Class?
3. Name the only 2 drivers to have had Bill Stroppe as their regular Co-Driver, or co driver at all for that matter?
4. Name the off road magazine who's slogan was "If it throws dirt, we'll cover it"?

Good Luck!!!!

PMC Racing
Was searching for some old history and came upon this old thread. Anyone have trivia questions to revive it?

Bro_Gill

Reaction
How many times has a race car WON the Baja 1000 peninsula run and were then driven back home to the United States? (by the way, I don't know the actual answer but know of at least 2 so far!)

Rory

Crayola Killer
Reaction
Website
www.racers-only.com
I know Mike Horner won in a Chevy S-10 class 7 4x4 in the mid 80‘s.........not sure if that was a peninsula run though 🤔

M.Harvey1600

Reaction
How many times has a race car WON the Baja 1000 peninsula run and were then driven back home to the United States? (by the way, I don't know the actual answer but know of at least 2 so far!)
I think the man above your post Mr. Chris Wilson drove his truck to the race, raced and then drove the same truck home after winning his class...

Bro_Gill

Reaction
That's why I asked it. Want to hear of others as well. Imagine doing that and then driving to work on Monday in the same ride. And when people ask what you did that weekend...

Chris_Wilson

Reaction
I've always liked the idea of racing street legal vehicles. I did drive my race truck (a prerunner) to work the Monday after winning Class 8 in the 1000.
Ramsey and I drove a Stock Full from my shop to the start line of the 1000, raced to La Paz, then drove it home but we did not win.
I'm entering two street legal trucks in the 1000 this fall, in class 3, a bronco and a Kia. It's kind of a shame that few people build production based racers anymore.
Cheaper and easier to race a UTV, and why build a Class 8 when a 6100 has better bang for the buck. Times change. Anyway we are old school.