Off Road Trivia

Rory

Crayola Killer
Reaction
This is a very interesting question that I just found out, lets see how many of you guys out there are TRUE off road racing buffs:

Who was the FIRST to race a VW BAJA bug out in the desert?

Marty Fiolka, you are not allowed to answer since the answer will be in your new book "1000 miles to glory" out soon....I hope! Good luck to all.

Rory

Crayola Killer
Reaction
Nope, good guesses so far.

Rory

Crayola Killer
Reaction
Nope.....Hey Tony B, Have you been tearing through your Hot VW's magazines yet?

martininsocal

Reaction
ok, now that I have reread the question, I will have to ask you to define Baja Bug. If you mean a real baja and not just s stripped down beetle, then I would have to say Miller and Havens.

snoreracer

Reaction
Warn Stevens from beetle barn in Vegas he raced the 1st snore club race in april 68

martininsocal

Reaction
Drino Miller and Sanford Haves. The first Baja Bug is credited to Gary Emory who chopped the sheet metal off his daily driver to lighten it up. He couldn't afford a manx, so he did the next best thing he could at the time. Miller and Havens asked him if he was gonna go forward with it and do some production stuff. He wasn't, so they produced the first baja kit. Drino was quite the driver too.

Tony_Barraza

Reaction
Drino Miller or Vic Wilson would have been my guesses.

An no, I haven't had time to research the HotVW's archives to find out.

Rory

Crayola Killer
Reaction
All very good guesses. The correct answer would be Cartoonist Dave "Big" Deal. This is the same guy who us to do all the artwork advertisments for Jackman Wheels in the Hot VW magazines in the 70's. He has also set a world record for the 1973 Transpeninsular Baja race from TJ to La Paz that still stands. If you don't know who I'm talking about, check out his web site @ www.bigdealart.com and I bet some of his work will look familar to you. Right now a movie is in production from PIXAR (makers of Toy Story, Monsters, and Finding Nemo) in which he designed all the caracters (cars). Should be out in 2005. You'l know who he is then...trust me.