Off Road TV Coverage

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
Reaction
Question for RDC members: if unlimited TV funds where available; what should be different and what would be the perfect time to watch it? Keep in mind network’s are not so interested in what you want but what new viewer’s want to see. So maybe a better question is what is it that makes you care so much about TV coverage. For a racer it is simple TV= Sponsors but for the networks fresh new viewers have to be found. It would help me a lot if I knew what attracts you to desert racing. Knowing this would help multiple people and I design a new style of desert programming to appeal to a new generation of fans.

Just because nobody understands you ......that does not make you a artist

TimHayosh

Reaction
I suggest you watch the coverage of the FIA World Rally Championship on Speedvision (while it lasts). Multiple camera angles, tons of high quality in-car camera's (with audio), extremely knowledgeable commentary, continuous manufacture and driver points championship updates, PROFESSIONAL presentation. No offense to Todd Harris or Larry Roeseller, but the Shoemaker productions lack most of the above.

BTW: You can catch about 18 hours of this programming on New Years Day. Speedvision has historically replayed the whole season Jan 1.

desertratt

Reaction
to put it simple, its fun and challenging. i have been racing out in the desert for years. in the past i have raced stadium. i always kept going back to the desert. i would rather spend several hours racing some one than 15 minutes. i have also found that most of the desert people are a lot friendlier! what i would like to see as far as coverage is more of the smaller car classes. if i had never seen a desert race before all i would know about is the TT's and class ones. i know these are the premiere classes but showing some of the excerts from the other classes would let the new guy see that there is a place he could get started in if so desierd. which would mean more people in the sport. more people = more money, more money = a stronger sport. which could attract potential sponsors.

get on the gas or get out of my way!!

Jimmy8

Reaction
First off, the way off road is presented gives no drama to the people watching. I mean look at the drama in nascar every race, and what about when they first returned back to daytona after earnhardts death. that was drama. If off road is ever going to get a huge fan base, there has to be some sort of drama. Watching the herbsts win their 50th class 1 title in a row is not drama, It just doesnt sell. There is a lot of drama in off road though, you just have to find it. I think for the presentation it needs more helicopters and stuff, and how about interviews with the drivers from a chopper during the middle of a race. My dad gave a few of those when espn was around, all while he was driving. I think showing maybe a little of the lower classes is ok, but sorry guys, there will never be a lot. People want to see the fastest and the best. Its like showing clips from the local 1/4 mile in the middle of the Daytona 500, it doesnt fly. Maybe they could do something like they do for CORR. Show the faster pro classes on one air date, and then the slower and sportsman on another. If the right things were done it could make off road on tv rival any other major form of motorsports.

"We've done so much with so little for so long, we can do anything with nothing!"

TRDshaunTRD

Reaction
I totally agree with Tim, the FIA rally coverage on speedvision is the way to go with our sport. I am more interested in desert racing, but when the rally coverage comes on, I am hooked! Like he said, multiple cameras are needed as well as a helicam. In car cams, and truck comunication audio can draw you into what the drivers experience. Also, look at when they cover the x-games and how they cover all the entrants, but then for like 3 minutes go into the life of one entrant. That is cool, and will give more drama, and will draw new viewers into the personalities of the offroaders. Also desertrat said to cover more of the little guys, like buggies (which I would like to see), but for new viewers, they want to be impressed, and the big bang is with Trophy Trucks and class 1's. People who are into the sport are interested in the other classes, but I feel that people new to the sport are more interested in the big boys. Also, ask the the people who mark the course where the sketchy sections of the track are, and cover those areas because people love to see motorvehicals on the edge of disaster!

rdc

Reaction
What time do you feel would have the best viewer ship? thanks for the replies

Just because nobody understands you ......that does not make you a artist

TRDshaunTRD

Reaction
Well the best time to air the offroad racing is obviously durring prime time 6-8pm start time durring the week to get the most viewers. But that would be competing with the major networks sitcoms. So, that is not an option. So I would say 9-10pm or 4-5pm start time durring the week to oviod the competion. Think about what age group will be watching and when they will be home. Most likley they have a job/school and are in the age range of 14-40. Most likley they are active and will be gone or out on weekends and home week nights. I would recomend airing comersials for the offroad TV series on sports channels such as ESPN, FOX sports net, Speedvision, Outdoor channel, and so on. Even advertising on the youth oriented channels such as MTV might be smart. I know that Cable companies have certain packages which cover a particular catagory of channels.

pciscott

Reaction
Billy,

I think you need to build heroes in off road racing like Nascar. Jeff Gordon, Dale Earnhart jr., and Tony Stewart are household names. These teams all have huge images and millions of loyal fans. Some of us love to watch anything off-road fly through the desert, but the average channel surfer cannot relate to this gets bored and flips the channel. Ivan Stewart, Robby Gordon, and Walker Evans were all huge names in off-road racing, but have all moved out of off-road racing. We need new Heroes like Troy, Tim, and Ed Herbst, Doug Fortin jr., Damen Jefferies and all the hot new and old shoes that stomp on the gas and hall ass. To get a huge fan base that will elivate this sport we need baby steps. I feel creating heroes in off-road racing would be a great start. We need exciting camera angles, helicopters, and crazy camera men who are not afraid to get there equipment dirty. Billy good luck I hope you can pull this off.

God Bless America

Scott Steinberger Protruck #270

poolman

Reaction
Tim, I'm with you the rally stuff is informative,all the manufactures get air time,you get to know the drivers and each show makes you want to keep up with whats new and how the season is progressing.Its just plain good action.Who would have bought a Subaru 2-3 years ago?

poolman

John Bitting

Administrator
Reaction
Billy you know RDC is behind you 110% and we dont mind getting "dirty" or putting in long hours to make sure that everyone gets to enjoy every aspect of off-road racing...

rdc

Reaction
Shaun Writes:
"I would recomend airing comersials (?) for the offroad TV series on sports channels such as ESPN, FOX sports net, Speedvision, Outdoor channel, and so on. Even advertising on the youth oriented channels such as MTV might be smart."

Let's think this one through a bit more clearly. Obviously FOX isn't going to accept commercials that promote a TV series on rival channel ESPN, And ESPN isn't going to run commercials that promote a series on FOX. Same applies with MTV. FOX now owns Speedvision, which is being rebranded as the SpeedChannel, and will soon carry mostly NASCAR shows, following the FOX/NASACR multi-year package. ESPN2 has dropped the CORR Offroad Series, so we know that ESPN2 isn't much interested in offroad, especially as they are now targeting a different audience, through the creation of their own Property, the XGames, Winter XGames, B3Games, and has dropped the CORR Series. This leaves desert offroad to compete for available time on Speedvision/Speedchannel, with the CORR Pro Series, the CORR Sportsman Series and with WRC. We know that each of these properties has sponsorship funding to cover the production costs and to buy the airtime.

If you didn't see it on TV, did it really happen?

rdc

Reaction
Re: WRC TV Coverage

The WRC TV shows are broadcast quality productions. There is a fulltime production crew of approximately 65 personel, with several purpose built tractor trailers of editing and camera equipment, that are airlifted to each event around the world. The WRC series also has the support of several manufacturers, who are obligated to enter multi car teams, including Ford, Subaru, Mitsubishi, Seat, Citroen, Hyundai, Peugoet, and Skoda. MG is planning to enter a two car team, plus several other manufacturers have announced that they are considering the series. Toyota is no longer competing in the WRC after they were banned for several seasons by the FIA and stripped of their points, following what the FIA WRC technical inspectors proclaimed was one of the most ingenious devices to circumvent the turbo boost rules that they had ever seen, or words to that effect. The auto manufacturers enter into contracts with the FIA to compete in the series and to contribute to the TV package, unlike Desert Offroad Racing in the US, where the factory truck teams that used to compete, were under no obligation to support the TV shows, or to even race all the events in a series. Look for even more improvements in the production quality of the WRC TV shows next season as the WRC production company and rights holders have announced that they intend to improve the technical aspects and innovations in the WRC TV shows over the next two seasons.

If you didn't see it on TV, did it really happen?

Ryno

Reaction
I agree with Tim and Shaun has some excellent points as well. However, showtimes, should be thought about. Most of us are out in the desert, or doing stuff Saturday, home about 5-7 pm on Sunday. Friday is most of the time pack night. So, I think early week slots, like Monday-Wed....then maybe a race on Sunday night, maybe about 7-9pm. Thursday nights are primetime, My girlfriend won't let me near the TV!!

As far as what attracts people to desert racing....I'm one of those people that believes that if you have tons of $$$, but you don't respect the desert, it'll eat you alive. I like it because you can race, and you never know who's gonna win. There are always favorites, but stuff ALWAYS happens. I think the Herbst boys change tires more than they do their own underwear. =) All in all, it's damn cool to see a truck do 110, and ride like a cadillac through 24" whoops.

Speedvision does OK at commentary right now Roesler knows his stuff...but they need to get someone in there who can explain the differences between the classes for first time viewers. I think alot of people new to the sport think all the trucks are 4wd. I'm going off what I saw from the BITD Vegas to Tonopah race. There was a chopper there, are a couple in car cams. I think with camera crews, they will always have to be moving, like the start line crew goes to pit 6, etc...Just had to get alot of cameras out in the sand and silt. I'm sure that stuff plays havoc on equipment. Thanks for taking the time for opinions!

Ryno

Build it like a Rhino, and Leave it be.

scott

Reaction

Thats what it takes to have quality production, and a quality product. NASCAR is a perfect example. The bottom line is sponsors getting their name on T.V. Big Time sponsors equal, Big Time Teams, Big Time Production, & Big Time Television coverage.........

Gabe Lara

Reaction

Well, I guess its time I put my 2 centavos in......

Alot of good points have been brought up, and some ideas are very valid. BUT, IMHO, I believe with any type of production work related to such a tight knit group of racers, we'd have to start off a bit smaller.
We can pull off just about anything these days given the technology at our disposal, because look what a well motivated crew did for the 7s Shootout @ Primm. (Yeah!)

We learned so much that weekend on how we could do it so much better the next time, and pool our resources together even tighter to create better content for the viewing audience.

I guess the point I'm trying to make here is, well, has anyone given the thought of "Public Access TV" to start with? I know of a few music video shows and the likes here in LA that seem to be aired a bit more and more, and I'm not just talking about "Colin's Sleazy Friends", either...

Back to the table for more turkey, now...........

rdc

Reaction

Thanks for all the replies, we appreciate your support., any further idea’s and comments please email at: billy@hi-techvps.com"]billy@hi-techvps.com[/url] or billy@hi-techsports.net"]billy@hi-techsports.net[/url]

Take Care
Billy

Just because nobody understands you ......that does not make you an artist

firedog

Reaction

I'm waiting for the 7s shootout video from PRIMM and when I get it, I'm pretty sure I can get it on the local channel here in the Snowmass/Aspen, CO area as long as all the legal issues can be worked out with the producers ect. I do like the WRC coverage and I also agree with Scott Stienberger, we need some heroes!

God Bless America!!

JenDiggityDirt

Reaction

Gabe...funny you should mention that. I know someone who is working on a public access show as we speak. He was practically overflowing with excitement when he told me about it...I'd mention his name, but I don't know if he wants me to. I'm not even sure he comes here. I'll tell him to, though, so that anyone who can help/wants to be involved can talk to him. "Extreme Sports" are all the rage. Why not show some of the "cooler" aspects of offroad racing, like the jumps, and gnarly stuff to hook the young kids? Someone may have already mentioned that. I don't think I've read all the posts on this thread.

<font color=white>JEN</font color=white>