• Forum membership has its advantages....

Off-Road Vs. WRC TV Coverage

Off-Road Vs. WRC TV Coverage?

• The off-road coverage we get now is just fine, don't change it.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't give a crap, I get all the coverage I need here on RDC!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
<font color=yellow>I know that this may be a ridiculous poll to take but you never know till you try. Beside, it may help send a message out to those who can make a difference in the way we get to watch our sport on the tube. Take the poll and post your comments.<font color=yellow>

<font color=red>Used Car Salesman<font color=red>

DougM

Look back to the late 80's to the 90s

ESPN & ESPN 2 as well as Fox Sports West had well informed folks who knew what they were talking about. I havent seen one Shoemaker produced race that was really good or knocked my socks off. (I guess thats why I kept all my race videos from the 90s until today) Even when it was SCORE NEWS with Jorge Jarrien, Ivan, and Charlie Englebart, it still sucked. Granted at LEAST there was racing on TV, but...

Names like Jerry Garrett, Marty Reid, Bob Bower, Dave Despain were on ESPN. Plus they were much more informing , took film from ALL OVER the courses (not just the start) and had generally a better vibe to them with more info on upcoming vehicles/shops/teams.

Who is that Todd guy anyways on Shoemaker production? I think Rosselar is OK but they all sound like they are reading from a script in a high school speech class! I think Ivan is no longer on the Speedvision crew at this point which is OK. Maybe a different racers perspective each race??
I know they have a limited budget and I know Sal probably pinches them pretty tight, but cmon, if your going to do it, do it right..

my .03

rdc

Doug, I'll just say this..........WELL PUT!

HTTP404

Doug,

You forgot to mention the fact that Speedvision is viewed in a fraction of the households that ESPN is. I haven't seen a television broadcast of a desert race since they were on ESPN.

Doug, I'll trade you my 91 Baja 1000 video for your 89 Nevada 500 tape. heh

Jimmy8

I still say that someone needs to talk to TNN because they talk about having POP if you have heard their comercials, and there is no more pop than what happens in an off road race. Off road would fit in perfect with their other programs: monster trucks, roller derby, nascar, rodeo, wrestling. In my opinion it would be a good home for off road. I dont think you will see off road on espn ever again especially the SCORE series, due to the Walker Evans incident.

bubnel

i have to agree doug. shoemakers coverage sucks. you can see more action at one spot in a race than they show in an hour program all over the course, i hate waiting for the air date then it sucks

mustafa

Victor,
I don't know how Jorge fits into the world of racing, but he was a helicopter reporter for one of the local radio stations here in LA and his dad is Jaime who has been a
sportscaster for the Dodger's organization for many years.

send more money, guns and lawyers

rdc

Like I said at the beggining of this poll, it is ridiculously lopp-sided. You would think someone would see these results (so far anyway) and start considering some alternatives to the status-que when it comes to broadcastin of off-road racing but then again.......... this "is" off-road racing.
http://www.race-dezert.com/cgi-bin/wwwthreads/images/icons/tongue.gif</A>">

rdc

ooops, lets try that again.

Like I said at the beginning of this poll, it is ridiculously lop-sided. You would think someone would see these results (so far anyway) and start considering some alternatives to the status-que when it comes to broadcasting of off-road racing but then again.......... this "is" off-road racing

scott

Wide World of Sports on ABC covered the Baja 1000 back in the late 70's and its better than what we get now. WRC is Primetime, and their doing it right. Its to my understanding that shoemaker isn't a big outfit. They only have like 6 employee's. If they needed a cameraman out there for good covererage, give it to me, I'll get them good footage, and they don't even have to pay me just strap a camera on my back.

rdc

.......they can't, you always have some chick on there while doing face plants on the floor at Papa's & Beer!

Jimmy8

sounds like fun to me, and probably more interesting than some race videos I have seen.

rdc

LOL, you have not had fun in Mexico until you have been to Papa's & Beer with Scott after he has had a few and chicks start getting piggy-back rides! That on video would be price less!

rdc

Well so far.........

<font color=red>
I want off-road coverage to be more like WRC coverage on TV! -(58)
The off-road coverage we get now is just fine, don't change it. -(1)
I don't give a crap, I get all the coverage I need here on RDC! -(2)
</font color=red>

hhhhhhmmmmmmmm.

Jimmy8

There is an awesome rally magazine I picked up today at Hastings. It is called Rally XS and is imported from England. It cost me $8.00 because of it but is one killer mag. Great pictures and articles and it is pretty thick. Check it out if you can find it because its totally worth it.

TimHayosh

Anyone out there watch "MotorSport Mundial"? Great show for those of us on this side of the pond. Usually a mixture of clips and stories from WRC, F1, DTM (German Touring Cars), Middle East Rally, Motorcycle Trials (indoor and outdoor. Can you say "Dougie Lampkin Show!!!"), and etc. Great 30 mins.

Watch for Juha Kankunnen (sp.) in the Hyundai in Finland. I think it happens this weekend. He's like the Rod Hall of Rally. He was World Champion 3 times. He's helping Hyundai straighten out their cars. He is the nominated point scorer for the Finland (his home) race.

As great as all that is, I'd still rather be in Kurt Puhl's 5-1600 at Lucerne on Saturday!!!!!

See you there, Tim