Off road wheelchair!?

redracer

Reaction
I'm not sure if this is the right section to put this in, but I'd like to know if anyone has info on making an off road wheelchair. My mother-in-law was diagnosed with stage 4 breast cancer just before Christmas 07. She successfully beat it with chemo and surgery and then was immediately diagnosed with brain cancer that was also in her spinal fluid. She has been in the hospital for 5 weeks now and has had chemo and radiation and has the brain cancer under control. Being in bed for 5 weeks has left her unable to walk, move, stand, sit, pretty much she can't do anything. She's going through physical therapy to regain her strength but whether or not she'll walk again, we're not sure. She's supported me in off road racing both financially and morally and her one request of me was to build her an off road wheelchair so we could take her to the races with us. My wife and I have 4 boys and my mom-in-law has been one of my biggest fans and I want to do whatever I can to get this chair made for her. Not many mother-in-laws would support spending hard earned money on a hobby (especially one like this!) If anybody has any pics of anything they've built or modified or has any ideas, I'd appreciate it! With 4 kids we don't have a lot of extra cash so I can't really just buy something that a company might make so I need to be able to build or modify.
We appreciate any input! Thanks!

Reaction
I just saw a story about a paraplegic that made it to the top of Kilamanjaro on an off road hand powered trike. There's probably video online.

But with 4 boys to push, what about one of those big tired PVC beach chairs?

DSRacing

Mini Metal MOD
Reaction
Used to be Southern California, Good Riddance!
Last year at an MDR race at Plaster City, I saw a guy with an electric wheelchair equipped with mountain bike tires for the drive wheels and smaller diameter knobby tires on the front. (similar to the tire you sometimes see on pit jacks or customized red ryder wagons) It worked fairly well for going over uneven terrain. Sorry no pictures though.

shrek

Reaction
I have an uncle that is retired and all he does is repair wheelchairs at Casa Colina in Pomona........volunteers 6-8 hours a day fixing wheelchairs.

I will talk to him and see what he thinks and what he might have...........How tall is she?

Best bet would be to modify a used Quickie for off road use........might not be too hard, either..........add some knobby tires, maybe some stabilization bars on the bottom............and your off.

Shrek

PLS

Reaction
This came up on one of the threads about Coco and his problems. Just do a Google search and there are plenty of sights where you can check out the proffessionally made ones for sale to get ideas.

big ed

Reaction
Check out PARAPROS in Sun City, Ca . They make a nice offroad chair. They made the bike for Bailey and Ricky James.

wheezy

"PRO PHOTO"
Reaction
Used to race downhill mtn bikes and have seen several variations of the "off road wheelchair" none of them were powered. They used Fox bicycle shocks on all four corners and disc brakes all the way around. VERY SLICK fab work on them.

http://www.purplelizard.com/GI wheelchair.htm

fabnahorse

Reaction
Website
www.supermotors.net
Used to race downhill mtn bikes and have seen several variations of the "off road wheelchair" none of them were powered.

And they are no slouches. I got behind one for a while during a practice run before a race. He drifted almost every turn, roosted me hard and then threw a block when I went for the pass at 40+. It was awesome to see! Kudos to those guys.

redracer

Reaction
My mom-in-law is about 5'6". She's lost a lot of weight throughout this whole thing so she's very thin now, too. I was thinking it might have to be an electric chair because I doubt she'll have the strength to push herself around.
Thanks for all the info!

2prerunIL

Reaction
I was watchin a motorcross video, i think Appetite for Destruction, and i saw a guy with a wheel chair that looked a lot like those off road wheelchairs, but it looked to be motorized.

bpthirteen

Reaction
Website
www.bajahq.com

Attachments

• tremor_pic_03.jpg
    tremor_pic_03.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 161
  • bounder.jpg
    bounder.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 176
  • quickie xtr.jpg
    quickie xtr.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 163

MEYERS1631

Reaction
Hey i have a GOOD chair i could give to you for a starting point. Email me bryanmeyers@sbcglobal.net. ItS electric!!! ITS IN GOOD SHAPE( ON THE NEW SIDE )ILL GIVE YOU MORE DETAILS IF YOUR INTERESTED.. IF YOU CAN GET IT BUILT FOR YOUR MOM ITS YOURS..

DEZERTSUB

Straw Man
Reaction
Hey i have a GOOD chair i could give to you for a starting point. Email me bryanmeyers@sbcglobal.net. ItS electric!!! ITS IN GOOD SHAPE( ON THE NEW SIDE )ILL GIVE YOU MORE DETAILS IF YOUR INTERESTED.. IF YOU CAN GET IT BUILT FOR YOUR MOM ITS YOURS..

What an offer!