• Forum membership has its advantages....

offroad videaos and tv

martininsocal

just watched(for about the 100 time since i have gotten it) the mickey thompsons offroad warriors video. what a shame we lost that man. if you have not seen that video and the amount of effort done to make a real, quality item that is great to watch, then you have been missing out. as i sat watching it, i thought about the conversations on this board about waht it would take to sell this sport to the public. mickey had the right idea. plenty of in the air footage, lots of in car stuff, every class from 1 to 11 and motorcycles. early days and up to date(back then) footage. this video is at least 14 years old and it is better than anything i have seen before or since. he spent the money to put together a video and a racing program that the people wanted. too bad, his loss from this world was a huge loss for the rest of us. decades of progress went with that man.

If your gonna go, go BIG

Jimmy8

I have the tape as well. Dad is in there a couple of times is the main reason, but I can never get tired of watching it. It is a classic.

"We've done so much with so little for so long, we can do anything with nothing!"

Klaus

Administrator
What tape is this ?

where can we get it ?

klaus

Junior

How about some video recommendations for us Dezert People. It is X-mas time you know. Isn't there a Crusty movie that has some desert racing in it? Is it Crusty 2000 or the one after that? Are there any others worth buying that have desert action?

Junior
EJR Racing #244

Rory

Crayola Killer
Klaus,
The name of the tape is Mickey Thompson's Off Road Warriors. I think it came out in 1986. I just bought one off e-bay last week, it should be here in a couple days. Go to e-bay and type in "Off Road racing" and every once in a while someone will be selling it.

Racers Only

martininsocal

klaus-i don't know if you can get this video anywhere anymore. it is that old. the tile is mickey thompson's offroad warriors. i believe it was originally going to be titled the man in the iron cage. it was film shot by mickey to be his video biography, but wasn't finished before he and trudy were killed. at least they didn't waste the film already shot. i borrowed a copy from a rental tape that i rented years ago to use for school research, but can't use it for commercial purposes. i may be able to loan you my copy so you can do some research too. martin

p.s. i do need it back, last time i loaned it out, it was gone for almost as long as the pass around video...which still isn't back. martin

If your gonna go, go BIG

Waldo

Safehouse
Junior, the Crusty 2000 vid has some footage of Larry Plank in his Protruck playing around. It doesn't look like a race and it's only about 30 seconds long. Unless you are into motorcycles, it's probably not worth it.

Here is a list of some good videos for X-mas:

1) Quicksand & Quicksand II = killer Glamis videos. Has Leduc, Robby Gordon, and some pro mxers. www.xfactorvideo.com

2) Backyard wrestling = Crazy backyard wrestlers do some insane (you would not believe) stuff!! www.backyardwrestling.com

3) Any of the Crusty Demons of Dirt videos. www.fleshwoundfilms.com

4) Slednecks 1,2,3 & 4 = It might not be dez related but there are some sick ass snowmobile stucnt in these ones. I am not kidding here! The cover of the new Slednecks 4 has a guy doing a back flip about 50-60 feet up in the air. www.foxracing.com or www.xfactorvideo.com

BRAAAAAAAAP!

Jimmy8

One of the best off road videos I have ever found with just sick race footage ect. is the 1996 Parker 400 Trophy Truck tape. It was from when they used to run the TT's on Thursday, and they ran a few small loops and then one big loop. It has Robby G, the Simons, LeDuc, Rob Mac in his lowrider , Ivan and all the older TT guys. Great finish as well, where Robby runs out of gas with 3 miles left in the race, the Simons pass him, then he gets gas races to the finish line with no seat belts on and wins by 31 sec. It is by far the best off road race tape I have ever seen, and if we could get someone to do footage like this for races again, then the whole United States would love the sport. They must have had 10 helicopters flying around getting footage, because the ariel shots following them down the wash and the graded dirt roads is unbelievable. Good Luck finding it, you better ask around and see if someone has a copy you can borrow, but it will be well worth it, if you can find it.

"We've done so much with so little for so long, we can do anything with nothing!"

Klaus

Administrator
Two other good videos is the 1995 Fireworks Trophy Trucks Only by Ouch, Crash and Ouch. Unfortunaly the tape quality is not the best on those.

Video Arte makes good stuff. I bought the Baja 500 tape from them and it has a couple of clips in it. All the crashes and almost crashes in town under the bridge, a recap of the Baja 250 and some really old 70's Baja and at the end a Robby Gordon special... worth its $25.00 cover price. Very high quality in tape, filming and editing.

And don't forget dp.... hint hint.

By the way we will be at the Sandblast event this weekend with a booth. Also we will have rdc stickers for sale.

AllwaysRcn

Jimmy8--How about a copy of yours? hint hint

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by AllwaysRcn on 12/07/01 09:14 AM (server time).</FONT></P>

Jimmy8

The thing is, I dont even have a copy myself. I keep borrowing my buddies, and have yet to make a copy. I guess I will have to, but it is a great video none the less, and I have probably seen it at least 15 times.

AllwaysRcn

RE: Jimmy8
I know how that is. I wish I would have made copies of all the old stuff I've borrowed in the past. If you happen to get a copy and feel generous, PM me. I love old footage like that.

Rory

Crayola Killer
Martininsocial,
The Mickey Thompson movie called "Man in a steel cage" is a totally different film. It was never released or pulled out of theaters only after a few weeks due to some Hollywood type that said there needed to be a love story or something before they released it again. Only a few people have ever seen it and only fewer accually have a copy. From what I hear, if the Thompsons were ever to release it, it would cost them Millions in Law suits. BTW, it was a great movie, starts with Mickey's drag racing days and goes through his land speed records and then a HUGH section on off road racing. Anyone else ever seen it?

Racers Only

L&SMotorsports

So Rory, your the one who out bid me on e-bay, huh? It's a great tape, you'll enjoy it. I'm with you Martin, Mickey was my childhood hero, and while I understand he pissed a lot of people off, he was a great man. I went to the Thompson website that was posted here a few weeks ago, and e-mailed them to see if I could check out the old MT cars they have. They were really cool, and said anybody can stop off and check it out. I'm going to Portland for Christmas, and the Thompson shop is about 2 hours from there. So I'm planning on taking my son and checking it out. They don't have his old "sprint car" class 1, but have his original truck and some other unlimited cars. I'll take some pictures of what's up there.
As for movies, does anybody remember "The Dirt"? It was released in theraters in the early 80's, and was was cool. I have given the info on this movie a couple of times to a company that buys the rights to old movies, and puts them out on video. But I have never gotten a response.
Later

Jimmy8

What is Mickey T's site. I stumbled on it once, and have never found it again.