OHV Area in Bakersfield

BRBoudreaux

Reaction
Has been decided. 1000 acres, and I believe it was $2 million to work with...................

I'm waiting to get the head guy's number so I can contact him. Gonna lobby for a short course track (i.e. Prairie City).

I've already talked to a few people about a track (different OHV though) so once I talk to the guy, I'll post up more information, maybe this can be done.

Doug_Powell

Reaction
Cool! I think a short course down there would be great. I lived down there for a couple years as a kid and remember watching Roger Mears racing a stadium style truck on the old motocross track out by Oildale.

BRBoudreaux

Reaction
Nothing yet. I've got to call the head guy up there and have some words with him and see if he would be receptive to the idea. Apparently it is his call and from the info I've gotten on his "vision" for the sport and apparently it only involves 4Lo

martininsocal

Reaction
Guys- I race at Hollister Hills for a VORRA short Course race and it was not a great venue. I was just there a few weeks ago, and the place is still not great for a chrotcourse venue due to terrain and hills. It is mostly single track(which made it almost inpossible to pass anyone) and because of that, the racers started 2 at a time with 15 second intervals. The ability of spectators to see is almost impossible due to the terrain and oak trees, and there si very little flat ground to build a true track on. I wish it were different, but thats the truth.

Martin

J_Dog

Reaction
I went there years ago for one of the VORRA races and Iagree with martin. The spectacting was not good, you could only see a small portion of the track. I have not been all around the Hollister OHV park to see if it would work anywhere else in there. It would be great if they could get these OHV areas to have racing at the parks. The VORRA races at Prairie City OHV (Sacramento) are great.

curt

Reaction
Oh I don't know, Hollister has the old outdoor national MX track that could be slightly modified out front of upper ranch with spectating areas and parking already established.....Another place to get people interested in is Carnagie, they bought a bunch of land and already hold a number of different events a year including the National Hill Climbs. A track could be put in a bunch of places at either end of the park. I stiil think someone should make a run at Altamont Speedway to do one of our races the same weekend as the Monster Truck show, the turnout is huge.It wouldn't break my heart to see us run 7-10 shortcourse races a year with just enough desert to keep our right of use in tact for northern Nevada.....Curt

billymanfroy

Reaction
When Jeff Elrod organized that race at Hollister in '97 it was also a pretty limited track, but there was huge potential if we could get the rangers to agree to a dedicated course. I've looked at it a few times and I'm sure we could come up with a reasonable track if we had their cooperation. Plus, my guess is they got ~$2 mil also so maybe we could go nutty with the graders and MAKE some flatter ground.

martininsocal

Reaction
When I raced there in '91 or '92 (I think that is when it was), we started on the big bike track and then went out into the hills. Other than 1 section of the course where there were 2 different routes up a hill, it was all single track except for the S/F area. You won't get to grade in there, that is one of the CEQA deals, the locals and the environmentalists would file suit before a blade hits the ground. One reason Hollister works is because they have done a lot to preserve the area and only put in single track routes.
What about Merced and other places that have been raced at before? There used to have short course races at the Fair Grounds there, Tulare, and I think at the MX track in Porterville. And Mears did the Rumble races in Bakersfield. There is also the race track in Buttonwillow that has lots of land and could be a possibility.

curt

Reaction
There's only one problem with a race in Bakersfield, it'll only attract the trucks and racers so it will be the same eventual downfall of desert racing...lack of paying spectators. Short course racing is supposed to "bring in the masses" people who come to watch and spend their cash in the little beer booths to offset the expenses and create a decent purse without a large entry fee which is basically paying for the privilege to run and enough money to make it sporting. Their has to be an income available for someone to manage it because when we did the Hollister race we realized that that there we're bunches of niggling little details like having someone at the gate all day collecting the door fee etc...You can only survive so long on volunteers, you need to pay people for their time to get the dependability over a long period of time. The biggest benefit of short course is you can hold it in a city where there is a buying public for the product you're trying to sell but it's small enough that it will fit in the available confines. This isn't Nascar, you can't draw enough people by trying to make them drive an hour or two to see your product. At Prairie City we have a great shortcourse and its been there a thousand years but it's still very difficult to get a regular following of fans since we don't race anywhere near regular enough for people to remember its that great door to door racing this weekend in the dirt! Curt

J_Dog

Reaction
Has anyone ever approached the people at Sears Point (oops, I mean Infineon Raceway)? I know they have a good size chunk of land. It would kind of be like the Protrucks running at Laguna Seca. It seems like, for short course at leat, you could do well bringing in the crowds with an established race venue. As long as it was conducive to off-road racing.

Curtis Guise

Administrator
Reaction
Another place that might be good for a short course race is at Sand Hill Ranch in Brentwood (Nor Cal). I know the owner and his son. I used to work at the sons bike shop when I was in High school. They have run motorcross races there forever, including circle track races. And now Phil (the Son) runs mountain bike races, dual slalom, etc. etc.. The place is huge and you could build a nice course there. If Rich was interested I could get him in contact with them to see if it was a possibility.

NORCALf150

Reaction
yea sand hill would be a really great set up plenty of room around there, maybe use the huge hills on the motox, u get the pucker effect when you click 4th gear off the top on a bike imagine a truck, another place to look into would be argyll park off 113 near vacaville the owner is a major okie and anything to put a little money in his pocket he would go for its another place with plenty of room they already have a motox track a nice kart track and a circle track that they just recently put some money into..

BRBoudreaux

Reaction
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
the owner is a major okie

[/ QUOTE ]

Umm, like dude or something...............................

Hope ya meant that in a good way

curt

Reaction
What I'd like to see in a shortcourse series.....
Consistant scheduling- 8-10 events a year so spectators just know there is racing this weekend instead of having to be watching a calendar.

Saturday Races- Don't compete with Nascar and NFL for spectators, there's no way small time racing can compete with these hugely followed weekly series.

Low entry fee- $100, expenses and the rest of the purse from the gate, purse needs to be in the $1000 range paying the first 3 postions up to 6 trucks and an additional place for 7/10/13/16th trucks. Payout schedule 6 trucks 50%/30%/20% then a flat $100 to each purse payee added at the above truck levels. Basically %100 purse payback plus $400 from the gate take.

Good Contingency Program- To offset some expenses, its the race promoter's responsibility to get this taken care of, for the series to last the racers must be supported in keeping expenses under control or they won't be able to afford to race for the long term.

Heavy promotion- Utilizing radio programs (free rides/previews at the tracks for the DJ's etc) and flyers in speed shops, 4x4 parts shops, wrecking yards.

Discounted entry fee programs for the racers who help promote the events-Make 10% DISCOUNT coupons with team#, team gets 20% of the gate fee value towards entry fee's when coupon is used promoter and purse gets other 70%. Team brings in 50 people their entry is free, promoter gets a couple of free salespeople.

Offer rides as promotional as necessary- Have to be careful with this one due to liability.....

We've talked about all this before, but again the problem is who's willing to step up to the plate to be the promoter? Cause its a lot of work and headaches and until you can get the crowd count above say 1000 people, it's a nonpaying job.

Curt

martininsocal

Reaction
Kurt- Where were you when we ran at PASS(Perris)? The promoters paid back 125% of the entry, the facility was great, racing under the lights on a Saturday Night was awsome, THE BATHROOMS WERE CLEAN!, etc, etc... Where were the racers?( OK Dennis, I know you 11 guys really came out in force, and provided the best action out there, bar none) Car turn out was slim and Spectator turn out was slimmer. Besides that, many ideas you have are good. I would pay back deeper, like 1 spot of every 3 cars and if you have more than 18, you run 2 qualifying heats, a last chance qualifier, and a main.

Martin

curt

Reaction
Martin, didn't you email us your rules package last year? If so, the problem we had was our truck wouldn't fit in the class....Motor was too big and I thinks there were a couple of other issues as well....

Since we're on the topic of shortcourse, I'd like to see an easy rules package that promotes a reasonable amount of fairness between the brands......
2 Classes
4cyl 3.0l or less displacement-open motor rules, do whatever you want except turbo/supercharger
14" front travel (since thats the biggest you can buy/build on an a-arm truck reasonably)
??? " rear travel allowing either long leaves or 4-link (should be whatever the long deavers can get)
stock motor location
stock frame (except 6" rear axle cutout for the rangers)
3000# minimum 51%front minimum
Fuel cell/normal safety equipment

V6 at ??? dispaclement
balance same as above

Control the weight and placement
Control the displacement
Control the wheel travel

Now you've controlled the evenness of the makes in an enforceable manner.

All the rules I've seen are biased mostly for the I-Beam Ford in off road racing and there are 4 or 5 other makes avalable for use in this sport. Biasing it for Ford is bad for the sport since there's could be plenty of other money available by allowing everyone a reasonable chance to win.....Curt

martininsocal

Reaction
Billy- I don't think it was my rules package, we have talked on here about what kind of rules could be out there, but I have never made a rules package(but I do have opinions about what they could be). Your package isn't too bad, except in a short course situation, I don't think a leaf spring will be able to run with a 4 link after each has been tuned properly. Either have leafs or a 4 link. I like the rear of the CORR lites, simple 4 link with direct mount coil-over shock on the axle(14") which limits travel, but allows for tunability. Limit front travel to 12"s, since many mintrucks with A-arms can getthat without resorting to custom or after market front arms, but allow them to switch to coilover instead of T-bars. For motors, I would say limit it to pump gas and maybe just a single carb (no more than 2 venturis) to help keep power down($$$$). For the 6 cylinder class, make it like 7 open, whatever goes goes as long as there is a frame, motor from the same factory as the body, and have a weight and maximum width(to be determined)