OHV area in the Cajon Pass area

mgobaja

RDC Crypto
The area full of dirt roads between the HWY 189 turn off and Oak Hills often has people riding / driving around on them, whose property is this ? Legal public riding area ? Trails for trucks and buggies ?

craigincali

RDC Crypto
It is an OHV area. Must have green sticker or plates. If you get off the 15 going north,it is the exit where McDonalds is. Go straight parallel to the freeway on the dirt road. Thays the entrance. BLM is there alot.

mgobaja

RDC Crypto
It looked wider for the bit that passes under the 15, just thinking baout going exploring a bit this weekend. Or maybe up to some fire towers in the mtns

KevinT4R

RDC Crypto
Baldy Mesa road (part of the trail system in question) is a lot of fun! It's two-track with several rutted and whooped-out sections. The bike and quad lines zig zag back and forth across the main route. I've seen a lot of bike and quad riders there even on weekdays so be extra-careful if you run your Ranger there.

Fourstroker

RDC Crypto
You need to purchase an adventure pass to ride there. You can get them at the gas station next to the McD's

burninfuel

RDC Crypto
Many years ago, 1980 we went out there and found a state hi-way all graded and no asphalt, big sweeping turns and just raw land. Did the state ever pave it ??? From about Miki D's to silverwood, or a un-used offramp before

Last edited:

Pee Wee

RDC Crypto
You need to purchase an adventure pass to ride there. You can get them at the gas station next to the McD's
If I remember right from my Dual Sport days green sticker vehicles don't need an Adventure Pass or licensed vehicles are okay as long as they don't stop in the National Forest, also any illegal alien at any location dumping trash and diapers is perfectly legal.

pgarfinkle

RDC Crypto
If I remember right from my Dual Sport days green sticker vehicles don't need an Adventure Pass or licensed vehicles are okay as long as they don't stop in the National Forest, also any illegal alien at any location dumping trash and diapers is perfectly legal.

Fourstoker has it right. An adventure pass is needed for your parked vehicle, just like Glamis, Dumont, Wildomar and many of the mtn bike trails around so cal. We rode up there a few months back after the heavy rain and the pass was $5 for a day or $30 for a year. You can get them at the gas station right there. I think Big 5 sells them as well.

Fourstroker

RDC Crypto
There is actually 3 different places to ride on Cajon.

1. Exit before McD's. Trailhead is right off the offramp.
2. The one mentioned above that goes from there all the way to the back side of Phelan and furthur west. It about 20 miles one way and has multiple marked trails to get through the same area.
3. Take the McD's exit and head towards Silverwood. The trailhead is up off that road.

HI_DEZ_DAVE

RDC Crypto
Many years ago, 1980 we went out there and found a state hi-way all graded and no asphalt, big sweeping turns and just raw land. Did the state ever pave it ??? From about Miki D's to silverwood, or a un-used offramp before

You are probably refering to the Cleghorn Fire Trail (Exit Cleghorn Rd. east of I-15) not a state hwy. but a nice fire road that goes all the way to Silverwood Lake. Trails are well marked for A & B trails (easey/ hard) Lotta Jeep clubs & weekend atv, utv mc traffic during good weather months. Way fun to rally in the winter months.

chickenlips

RDC Crypto
We ride those single tracks all the time. GREAT secret. SHHHH. Xtra careful of bikers up there. The patrol is 90 % of the time under the overpass. You can park there and unload. I have seen before when a rider off loaded his bike, started it to warm up. Ranger in truck pulls up as guy is in cab of truck putting on gear, bike idling. Starts to write ticket. Rider sees this gets out and shows him adventure pass. Ranger hands him ticket and says "No RED sticker bikes allowed". Green STEEKER vehicles only.

KevinT4R

RDC Crypto
I was just up there today in my 4Runner. There are plenty of legit whoop sections that would be a lot of fun in a fully built truck. Mine's semi-built, so I had to slow down more often than I would've liked to.

Fun place...just be careful of bikes and quads.

It looks like Red Sticker bikes are OK from Oct. 1 to April 30.

CARB document below:

http://www.parks.ca.gov/pages/1234/files/2007 carb revised riding seasons.pdf

YFZBOB

RDC Crypto
That's an old route way before the 15 was built. If you exit Cleghorn, you can pick up the old route that runs west of 15.

More about it here:cool:

Bro_Gill

RDC Crypto
The area is mostly known as the Cleghorn. Years ago, the USFS was going tro cut trail access because they no longer wantedto fund the maintenance of the trails. They asked for volunteers to provide the leg work and the enforcement and in exchange, said they were going to expand the trail system so that green sticker vehicles could run all the way from Cleghorn to Pitown without driving on the pavement. They were also going to open up some paved sections of roads into Arrowhead and Fawnskin so that folks running the trails could go into these towns and restock, spend the night, spend money, etc... It was all a sham to get folks to donate their time so the feds could spend the money elsewhere. When push came to shove, they said they couldn't get permission to have green sticker vehicles cros in front of the Silverwood dam or to cross Highway 18 from Jacoby Canyon to the Cactus Flats area below Big Bear because Caltrans wouldn't allow it. Then they started to actually reduce the amount of trails that were open to green sticker vehicles and eliminated the connectors to John Bull and the Deep Creek to Holcomb green sticker routes andmade those street legal only. If the vehicle is street legal, you won't have any trouble running any of the forest service road Mike.

* As far as the Adventure Pass goes, you only need it if you park your vehicle in any area that offers exapnded services (i.e. porta potties, shade canopies, picnic tables). If there are no improvements, then you can stop and park without the pass. The problem is, you may still get a ticket, but they have been thrown out of court for years and even the U.S. Supreme Court has heard teh argument and told the USFS they can't charge for simply stopping in the forest, they have to offer something extra to receive pay for it. Be careful as there will be 2 waytraffic on all thes roads this time of year. I suggest Holcolmb Valley and head up to the Delamar Fire Look Out, then lunch in Fawnskin at the Cafe.

Ricks Kicks

RDC Crypto
Only In California Can You Dump Illegal aliens