• Forum membership has its advantages....

Oil Cooler Plumbing Question

shrive81

How's it going gents... So this may be a simple question but I have a oil cooler and trans cooler that are mounted in a buggy and are mounted vertically... They are the CBR oil coolers with the two 4" fans. The inlets on the are located on the bottom and top. I was told by someone that the best way to plumb them was to have the inlet (hot oil from motor and trans ) on the bottom and the outlet ( cooled oil ) out of the top. this helps slow the oil down or fills the cooler up. Is this the correct way or wrong or does it even matter... Any advice would be great..

green787

How's it going gents... So this may be a simple question but I have a oil cooler and trans cooler that are mounted in a buggy and are mounted vertically... They are the CBR oil coolers with the two 4" fans. The inlets on the are located on the bottom and top. I was told by someone that the best way to plumb them was to have the inlet (hot oil from motor and trans ) on the bottom and the outlet ( cooled oil ) out of the top. this helps slow the oil down or fills the cooler up. Is this the correct way or wrong or does it even matter... Any advice would be great..
Yes you are right, but you plumb it this way to purge the air out the cooler... and thus have no cavitation... Air rises...