Oil Cooler - Type 1 VW

swiftracing5

Reaction
So we had some problems with our last cooler and are looking to get something better and stronger. Any suggestions? Its a 2275cc behind a busbox on a mild 5 unlimited chassis. We have a doghouse but just need to keep it cool in the long summer days in lucerne and baja. Also any mounting suggestions since we run a full 65 shell and have the spare back there. Thanks here a picture of the car too.

Attachments

partybarge_pilot

Reaction
Ditch the dog house and run a PWR cooler with an electric fan on the full flow side. Also make sure you have the later wide fan.......

07FJRog

Reaction
setrab cooler with fan.
you should have room under your spare????

Tipracer

Reaction
seen them mounted on the window opposite the fuel filler...never had any problems with the oil cooler they sell at race-ready, pricey but like I said never had any problems.

swiftracing5

Reaction
Thanks guys. So before we had the air blowing in to the cooler, would it be more beneficial to pull the hot air out or what?

DBMETALWORX

Reaction
This is what works for us... We use a 36 hp fan shroud, no doghouse cooler!! A single stage dry sump pump, w/ a homemade tank. The tanks peterson makes are $3oo or less, you can find them online or in circle track mag. The pump was, i think $150? The cooler is an art carr, which is a setrab as far i can tell. It's 10" x 14" x 2"w/ a fan. Make sure there is lots of side clearance on your connecting rods, the oil needs to get out.. Too tight makes lots of heat!!!!!!!! Stock clearances are way too tight!! I personally don't like the idea of mounting the cooler in the rear window area, cuz tree limbs will take em out. I prefer mounting it in the center, behind the seats, up high. Hope this helps..

joe1369

Reaction
Thanks guys. So before we had the air blowing in to the cooler, would it be more beneficial to pull the hot air out or what?
Keep the air going the same direction, if you are getting any flow across the cooler without the fan, then suck it through, maybe a personel preference or a mounting location situation, sucking, blowing, mounting, this is RDC?????:p

swiftracing5

Reaction
Yea i like the idea of mounting it under or next to the spare, orrrrr in front of it around the back window and pulling air away from it.

07FJRog

Reaction
Keep the air going the same direction, if you are getting any flow across the cooler without the fan, then suck it through, maybe a personel preference or a mounting location situation, sucking, blowing, mounting, this is RDC?????:p
yup, I agree

FullsizeFun

Reaction
Why not run the Doghouse cooler + a PWR cooler with a fan? The doghouse doesn't hurt anything so why not leave it on the engine?

partybarge_pilot

Reaction
Dog houses take air away from the cylinders. An electric fan on a remote cooler will work much better. Also, not all the oil goes through a stock cooler.

joe1369

Reaction
Dog houses take air away from the cylinders. An electric fan on a remote cooler will work much better. Also, not all the oil goes through a stock cooler.
Also does the stock cooler not kill oil flow, its a big restriction, if the engine case is full flowed, I think the remote set-up is best, I think more oil in the cooler, lower oil temp, lower cylinder head temps, less chance for detonation, engine will last longer. JMHO:cool:

partybarge_pilot

Reaction
Also does the stock cooler not kill oil flow, its a big restriction, if the engine case is full flowed, I think the remote set-up is best,
Since not all the oil passes through the stock cooler, it's not a restriction. Full flowing the case does nothing for the flow potential, all it does is route 100% of the oil through the cooler and filter (which hopefully you have).

joe1369

Reaction
Since not all the oil passes through the stock cooler, it's not a restriction. Full flowing the case does nothing for the flow potential, all it does is route 100% of the oil through the cooler and filter (which hopefully you have).
Thanks for the clarification. :D

Wendell #527

Reaction
Remote is best for sure. I used to overheat my Type 4 but I went with a teledyne and put a cowl on the side of the car directing air into the front of the teledyne. I wired the fan to be on all the time---no thermostat. Since then it runs cool.