OIL QUESTION

mustafa

Reaction
I have an 01' F250 with a V10 and the manual recommends 5-20 wt. oil. The viscosity is almost the same as water. What would be the advantages/disadvantages of going
to a heavier grade oil? Would my mileage decrease? I do light towing with it (under 3000 lbs.).

He who lives by the sword, gets shot by those who don't.

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
More drag in the system...lower performance, lower gas mileage, hotter temps, to name a few. I am not sure how dramatic these may be but those are some of the things that could happen.

Kris

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dmsrace.com>www.dmsrace.com</A>

FABRICATOR

Reaction
This can get worse than any shock wars, but it's doubtful we'll hurt any of the oil companies!
Most of the newer vehicles call for very thin, multi viscosity oils. Be careful with changes as some require them for the warranty to remain in effect. Some vehicles actually monitor the condition of the oil through sensors and the computer will tell you when the oil should be changed. Part of it also has to do with mileage and other environmental concerns. Engines are also required to run at higher temperatures these days. Who knows how bad they really need them? The owners manual usually lists several variations for different uses and climates. I wouldn't stray too far.

<font color=orange>The best ideas are the ones that look obvious to the casual observer.</font color=orange>

IDRA_CRB

Reaction
A partner of mine (we used to be mechanics together) is now an instructor for Ford. He sez do not go to a heavier oil. These engines are built to much tighter tolerances than previous versions.

It's quite possible that portions of your engine would not receive proper lubrication if a heavier oil is used.

It's a good idea to carry some with you (especially in Baja and other remote areas) as many retailers do not carry it yet.

Reese

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
Reaction
run 5-20 weight.
-Chris

2000 v6 4x4 TRD 5-Speed Tacoma