Okay, Let's critcize my drawing...

sirhk100

Reaction
Okay, Let\'s critcize my drawing...

I've been a little bored and doing some drawing inbetween stuff here at work. I've done the rear part of the cage of my future truck. What do you guys see that's obviously wrong? And how can I get that tire outta there?

Opps, and I just realized I didn't draw in the bends on the side tubes that come up along side the tire...

Caution, it's a haul ass 3 view drawing from AutoCAD, I don't need a lesson on how to draw... Thanks!

Khris

'92 Ford Exploder (AKA Dezert Limo cause it's loaded)
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by sirhk100 on 04/23/03 01:32 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

Attachments

• 6-53503-cagewithtire.jpg
    6-53503-cagewithtire.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 391

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
Re: Okay, Let\'s critcize my drawing...

Cant really tell much from that, but make your junctions have the tubing in the same plane and all joined in the same location at a junction...IE dont make a junction but have the tubes an inch apart...make them all fit in tight.

Kris
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.barneysprecision.com/fabproducts.htm> Fab Parts</A>

hoeker

Reaction

the rear shocks should be spread wider, outside the frame if possible, also the bar the shocks mount to should be reinforced or redesigned. you are pushing on it sideways trying to tear at the welds.

why not run the cage around the tire with a single bar hinged across the top to hold it in?

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.rosshoek.com>www.rosshoek.com</A>

Some are born great, some achieve greatness,
and some have greatness thrust upon them.

sirhk100

Reaction

Thanks for the info, that's what I'm looking for is advice on the general idea in the photos, not real details...

Khris

SpareChangeRacng

Reaction

Man that brings me back...
I used to do that when I had spare time at school or work. Looks just like my old drawings too. I think my best one had a picture of a ranger w/ the bed taken off inserted as a raster image in the background - that way it kinda looked like it was on a real truck. Steve

mattrick8888

Reaction

if it were my truck, the only thing i would change would be the upper shock mount. i would run two straight tubes across the cage, one from the down bars from the cab and the other across the main bar of the bedcage. then build a bitchen mount in the middle of those two bars out of sheetmetal. however i am not a fabricator so my idea just might suck.

sirhk100

Reaction

That would be cool... I get the idea of what you're saying. I could plasma out some bitchin sheet metal shapes here at work and use all the dimple dies in the world. I'll keep that in mind.

I personally like the look of the top tube of the bed cage getting narrower but I also want my spare tire sitting in there flat. I want to figure out how to do both and still be able to get the tire in and out... I've got awhile before I even get the truck so I figure I can fool around with tons of designs on paper before I'm even tempted to start hacking!!!! Might as well have something to look at in front of me when the time comes.

Khris

DANKFAB

Reaction

That is exactly what I did for my truck. Draw it out first!!! I spent almost 2 years playing with hundreds of design concepts and talking to fabricators. Go look at trucks that are well built by professionals. Their designs and gusseting usually tell a story of how that cage layout started and got finished correctly.I ended up hacking out my bed frame rails and went with a complete tubular chassi to allow almost 10 extra inches of up travel. i see you aren't going to that extreme, so just making sure your cage is braced from all stress points is all you gotta do. Hoek had a good point about the shock mounts too.

"Carpe Diem" Sieze The Day!

mattrick8888

Reaction

next time you see jasons truck take a closer look at it. i think its pretty much what you want to do. its a pretty basic design that is used alot, but can easily be changed to be your own if you want to.

ntsqd

Reaction

I'll second both Kritter and Ross' comments.
Bring all of the merging tubes to one place, don't allow any offsets. Stress loads are like water, they really don't want to go around sharp corners which is what an offset tubing joint is. Moving the dampers closer to the tires is a good thing.
You almost have a pretty nice point to mount the dampers now. It's close to where they mount now, but is where all of those tubes come together in the side view. Make that a single cluster of tubes and put the damper mounts on that joint. Avoid introducing loads in the mid-span of a tube. Bring them in at a junction of several, if not many tubes.

Don't ever run a tire taller than the inside span of your frame rails and you can drop the tire out the bottom using a Toyota spare tire winch.

TS

I used to swerve around my halucinations, now I drive right thru them.

sirhk100

Reaction

Thanks for the feed back... I'll mess around and change it up a little.. I'll repost eventually and see what you guys think. Thanks for the comments.

Khris

toyotaguy

Reaction

you forgot something.....how are you going to get anywhere or use the truck without GAS.

looking for info on quality tacoma long travel.....any ideas?

elcaprerunner

Reaction

While we are at it, how about some critiquing (SP?) a couple of my drawings that I do by hand on graph paper. FIrst my truggy......

P.S. Ignore the number, I thought it would be cool to draw a class 10 truggy, but that would never work.

H.O.R.E.
Hemet Off-Road Enthusiasts

sirhk100

Reaction

I didn't plan on running a cell because of smog issues. Unless there's a way around that... I havn't looked into it though... Hmmm somthing to kill some time today I guess.

Where's the hand drawn class 10 truggy?

fishd00d

What A Joke
Reaction

Khris dont worry about it. Just talk to me about it this weekend.

Go Big Or Go Home

gary

Reaction

here's my 2 cents...
there's a cross tube on the frame that the stock tank mounts to...it's pretty much right in the way of where you wanna mount the shocks. you won't be able get too much forward angle on 'em with the stock tank/cross tube there. it might vary from year to year, or depending if you have an xtra cab (i see xtra in the drawing) or longbed or whatever...but on a standard cab/bed, it's in the way. especially with the suspension at full droop...the shocks will swing forward and contact it.
my solution (if ya wanna call it that?) was to put the cell right behind the cab, but i made the framework for it also kinda fit the stock tank...so when smog time rolls around this october, i'll be removing the cell and putting the stock tank in it's place. this depends on what cell you run, as dimensions vary, but the tall 32 gallon jaz cell is prety close in size. so as long as the smog guy doesn't mind the tank being relocated, i think i'm okay....
or maybe i'll just pm dankfab... ;)

sweetdevil

Reaction

ok, I'm confused...
To run 1450 in MDR you have to have a fuel cell, but to get it smogged, you have to have a stock gas tank? I know there is nothing "street legal" about the "Street legal class" but am understanding that wrong?

<font color=red>Heaven Doesn't want me, and hell is afraid I'll take over</font color=red>

sirhk100

Reaction

Nope you got it right... I'm guessing they all either swap tanks when it's time for smog, have a friend, or run dealer plates like I think one racer does...

That's what i figure is that you just swap tanks. If I run a cell I'll be putting as much of the stock equipement back on in hopes that maybe I could just cover up the cell and the guy would just check the cap vacuum and the fill hole size...

Khris

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction

Putting the tank up behind the cab makes the CofG higher increasing risk of rollover, if you put it in the back you do have more changes to account for due to amount of gas changing in the tank and the amount of leverage it has on your suspension but it is nice and low and can be quite predictable with some seat time. Also the cell would be cheaper since it can be of a simple shape.

Kris
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.barneysprecision.com/fabproducts.htm> Fab Parts</A>

DANKFAB

Reaction

thats what really sucks about my setup.I have not been able to get smog'd for 3 months now. I have a 96 S10 with a 91 Blazer tank and sender(I had to get a Camaro pump to have enuf Psi) I kept all the smog stuff too, the charcoal box and sensor, stock air box and hoses, hadn't put my headers on yet, so that was ok BUT because I have my ABS disconnected the OBD2 cannot complete the circuit and they won't even test my vehicle! I went through allthat crap to keep a stock setup to pass a visual when I could have been investing in a fuel cell. Hind sight is always 20/20.

"Carpe Diem" Sieze The Day!