OLD CRANDON S.O.D.A. SERIES PICTURES

class 8 ford

Reaction
Here are some pictures that should bring back memories for some!!! JACK FLANNERY, JON KAEMPF, GREG GERLACH, SCOTT TAYLOR, FRANK HOOD, RAY JANUSZ, AND ADAM BARTHOLEMEW, MITCH DUMASK img060.jpg img056.jpg img057.jpg img052.jpg img053.jpg img054.jpg img055.jpg img058.jpg img059.jpg img061.jpg img062.jpg

Attachments

• img060.jpg
    img060.jpg
    336.2 KB · Views: 875

harleys dad

Reaction
what has the fate been on all those truck, like Taylors ranger. I remember that truck.

class 8 ford

Reaction
unsure if any are around at all? My Ford #803 was a Red Dog sponsored truck last I saw it.img063.jpg here's Scott Taylor's Rough Rider class 7 at Lake Geneva, Wi. think Art Schmitt is behind him in a Nissan,

harleys dad

Reaction
89 90 I won crandon in 51600, Michelle Friday rode with me and could not see out of the car. She sat back and put he feet on the dash. Blue Baja giant 1 on the doors. A lot of Bajas raced at that time, over 20 including Scott taylor Chuck Johnson Johnny Grieves I think in Mike Brews car. Was not the most challenging track but post race tech shure was with fist fights and all kinds of excitement. Ended up having to pull the engine apart and piling it inside the car for the trip home to California, coming down Cajon pass my friend Bob said you know Glenn Helen is today, so we exited the 215 and went to glenn helen put the engine back together on the tail gate of my truck missed qualifying so I started about 54th(at that time 51600 was huge in california) long story short I won Glenn helen and had to take the darn engine apart again for tech. Life of racing limited cars back then but a very profitable week of racing. I got over 2000 dollars in protest money alone at Crandon and over 5 grand for the win and won over 5 grand at Glenn hellen. Not bad for a Baja bug that did not exist as a race car a week before was built from the ground up, a bare pan and body in 4 and a half days to go to Crandon, infact I started building the cage on thusday did the suspension over the weekend loaded it on the trailer monday night and left tuesday morning around 1 am and drove straight threw to Crandon in about 46 hours only stopping for gas and wired and spray canned it true blue crylon in the pits with no sanding involved lol. It had no wiring at all on the trip to Crandon brakes were not finished and no fuel lines no nets belts a lot had to be done. Armstrong tires were late sending me the money to go so up till thurday before I started building the car I had not believed we were going! Yes there was very little to that car but all the hard work payed off!.

class 8 ford

Reaction
I'm sure you could put one together today with your eyes closed after that! I know the feeling of a race vehicle not quite ready to go and a race is coming up ! But we always made it to the track. My biggest fear was tech inspection as you usually had someone different each time with their own ideas as to how things ought to be done.Put a picture of your Baja on here .I remember the Friday's, didn't they operate an offroad shop?

harleys dad

Reaction
I will get my son to put one on here, can build a baja but computer dumb lol. I met the Fridays at that first Crandon race they were pitted next to us and Michelle talked her way into the car. I had no one to ride and the plan all along was to find some one small and she fit the bill. She was real small. Nice folks. I do believe they operated some kind of off road shop. My son is going to post a picture. I was not going to tow my desert 516 all the way there even though it was lite it was not a short course car. The one I built to take to Crandon was destroyed in 1992 at the Mint 400 by Lee Weustoff of Milwaukee he raced Soda all the time in that time period. and was in the opening scenes on espn the entire year on the off road racing shows they put on tumbling threw the desert.

Last edited:

offroadracer516

Reaction
The first two are from crandon. The last pic is after winning Willow Springs :)

Attachments

• 10984024_822967944423182_6408520393305143464_n.jpg
    10984024_822967944423182_6408520393305143464_n.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 711
  • 10987441_822967894423187_2210463935621965687_n.jpg
    10987441_822967894423187_2210463935621965687_n.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 696
  • willow.jpg
    willow.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 750

harleys dad

Reaction
A week before those pictures were taken that car didnt have a roll cage in it lol that beautiful (LOL) true blue crylon paint was sprayed the day before and my friend bob painted the 1 on the side with a paint brush. They let me run with just that 1 on the door if you notice no 5** numbers on the car. I won that number racing out west and they let me use it at Crandon both years. We raced at the same time as class 10 and we went by 95 percent of them as is obvious in the picture and lapped 70 percent of the 516 cars. It got very heated after the race a lot of yelling a fist fight it was cool lol. The Circus Circus baja came from Las Vegas we lapped it and he started world war 3 in post teck. The only ones happy were me and Michelle lol but the engine came out both heads came off and cylinders. Not the only time a fist fight took place over that car, it won the HDRA desert championships at Willow springs in 91 televised on espn against a huge entry and the same crap happened at that race. When you beat people they dont like it, when you destroy them they get down right angry!.And with the entry the class had there some one was bound to be unhappy or more. The big sticker on the roof is a FAT performance sticker, first time a FAT engine was run in Crandon and soon after FAT started doing all kinds of engines for that part of the country. My engine came apart so many times racing short course we quit using any sealer on it, it was easy to put back together lol The right picture is after winning Willow springs, not Crandon

Last edited:

harleys dad

Reaction
I thought that was what it was called, didnt know them very well, real nice people and Michelle was only a kid at the time, I think only 13 or 14 when she rode.. Saw her again in 97, a completely different girl. Only met her dad that first Crandon race I went to.

harleys dad

Reaction
The class 6 photos above is fantastic. Do they still race at that location now? The good ol boys race at Crandon looked like a ton of fun, run it till it stopped and walk back. Looked like a wreaking yard at the end!

class 8 ford

Reaction
That was at Bark River, Mi. in 1987. I won the class 6 race that day. Races are still held there. The Good Old Boys race was my first offroad race. I finished fourth in 1985, against 65 other cars! There was a Cadillac hearse in the race who was taking people out, we stayed away from him and he finally broke down. The next year I had a class 6 , We were hooked. That Chevrolet Caprice was a very good car. We had four 1 st. places,! a 2nd and a 5 th. [lost engine] in 1987 !