old Mike Smith bumps

dcman008

Reaction
I'm looking at buying some old Mike Smith bump stops, but they look like they need to be rebuilt.
Dose anyone know who could rebuild them or better yet where I could buy parts for them?

Attachments

dcman008

Reaction
Not sure how well that would go, but i might as well give it a try.

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
probably standard seals...do it yourself.

randy68

#1 Enemy of Google
Reaction
I'm looking at buying some old Mike Smith bump stops, but they look like they need to be rebuilt.
Dose anyone know who could rebuild them or better yet where I could buy parts for them?
PM me yer info....

mikeyfrombc

Reaction
apart from having to recharge them with nitrogen( if the are gascharged) i,m sure they are pretty basic i used to rebuild my suspension forks on my old DH MTN bike yrs back , if they where nitrogen charged you just took them to a MX shop that had the recharging set-up .

dcman008

Reaction
apart from having to recharge them with nitrogen( if the are gascharged) i,m sure they are pretty basic i used to rebuild my suspension forks on my old DH MTN bike yrs back , if they where nitrogen charged you just took them to a MX shop that had the recharging set-up .
Its not the doing the rebuild that I had issues with, it was finding the parts. One of my friend went threw hell trying to find parts for his lighting rods and I didnt want have to do the same.

Reaction
One of my friend went threw hell trying to find parts for his lighting rods and I didnt want have to do the same.
Tell your friend to check with Jim Conner Racing, he has/had a bunch of parts for those shocks.

dcman008

Reaction
Tell your friend to check with Jim Conner Racing, he has/had a bunch of parts for those shocks.
He called JCR but had no luck getting the check valves. Thanks for the suggestion.

dcman008

Reaction
The shafts look bad, pitting, rust?
I have not picked them up yet, but I was told the rusting and pitting isn't bad. If he pits are to bad and I start having issue then I'll have work out new shaft or if I can pop them in the lathe clean them up.
If all else fails I've gotten 3 or 4 offers for them, just from posting questions on here and DR.

mikeyfrombc

Reaction
Its not the doing the rebuild that I had issues with, it was finding the parts. One of my friend went threw hell trying to find parts for his lighting rods and I didnt want have to do the same.

well what parts do you need ?? i have a connection on a Nascar team , the guy tests their shocks all day and rebuilds them between races he has sources for oddball seals and such .

now if the rods are pitted they can be fixed without rechroming , i worked in a HYD Cyl repair shop for 18yrs and you would be amazed at what a really good industrial chrome shop can do . i had one guy fix the ram cylinder on my press , i was gonna replace it and he said give me 10min and it will look new , we wasn,t lying . they have tricks of the trade one is using a special hammer it fills in the dents and such and then they repolish the rod and she looks new can,t even see the damage .

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
its a bumpstop...its got a piston, shaft, rod seal, static seal, wiper seal, schrader, rod guide, bump cap, rod end, wearband. All seals can be easily sourced and shaft and aluminum parts made on a manual lathe if need be.

If you need help I will help you.

dcman008

Reaction
its a bumpstop...its got a piston, shaft, rod seal, static seal, wiper seal, schrader, rod guide, bump cap, rod end, wearband. All seals can be easily sourced and shaft and aluminum parts made on a manual lathe if need be.

If you need help I will help you.
Thanks for the offer, I will let you know if I need anything made.