• Forum membership has its advantages....

Old Off Road media.

harleys dad

One thing you will notice is the number 184, MT didnt pick that number by chance, that is how many class 1 cars were in the race it was entered in most likely MORE! I was lucky to see it race and pit at El Chinero at a Baja race, it was over heating big time and would have been the first car there but MT had to slow to keep from burning it up. MT jumped on the back and got the cap off nearly blowing hot water all over him. It was the 2nd car to El Chinero and seamed like it had a zillion HP when it left wid F open. If only it had suspension to cope with the HP but it was fast make no mistake. The picture of it jumping is where all photo shoots were done then was at saddleback park jumping into the bowl! 109 inch wheelbase was huge in 76 as well as the 36in tires! MT always thinking!!

Last edited:

harleys dad

If I started on it I wouldn't be able to rave NORRA for 5 years, so its in line behind the Grasshopper and some other stuff that will be race-able a bunch sooner.
Is it in 1 piece or do you have to make parts of it like Rory did?

Rory

Crayola Killer
The Marines buggy is more complete than CH4. All of the suspension is still on the Marines buggy along with the original rear end and transmission. A lot of the guess work is pretty much done for the Marines buggy but I will agree it is in worse shape than CH4 was in when I picked it up. The fire damage from the California fires that threatened MT's house and burned up part of his race shop did a number to half of the Marines buggy but it can be fixed. With that said, I'm pretty sure every suspension piece he has for that car will need to be replaced (at least he has the old ones for templates).

I'm sure Jeff is going to do a stellar job on the Marines buggy, I can't wait to see him get started on it....then I can point and laugh at him like he did to me 1/2 way through my build....LOL. 36" rear tires in 1976.....WOW! To give you an idea, BFG didn't make a 35" tire for Off Road until Steve Kelley debuted them on the Miller American class 8 in 1985 (could have been 1986) and 37" BFG's arrived in 1991 with the Frank "Scoop" Vessels class 1 Nissan truck.

harleys dad

Today the marines car might look small but in the 70s it was huge, same with the PJ blazer which I consider the first Trophy truck. If you look in the color section of the 1976 Baja 1000 on trackside you can see both in pretty good detail.

T Pacheco

Last edited:

T Pacheco

Old thread, but I thought I would put this here where it'll be easy for people to find later.
This is an article from the winter '67 Saab dealer newsletter, reporting on Olle Andersson and Ingvar Lindqvist's first go at the Mexican 1000. As you may know, Ingvar returned in '68 and won the 2-wheel drive production class, then did it again in '69 and '70. Andersson would later return in a Volvo 142 which placed second in the same class in '72. Their first attempt in 1967 wasn't so successful:

Some pages from Rod & Customs January 1969 issue, covering the '68 Mexican 1000. Of all the articles I've found on the event, this one has the most and best pictures.

Some of the odder entries:

I had the pleasure of speaking with Sinclair before his passing, and he was still proud about his participation in this event. It's definitely not a story many can top.