Old off-road pics

Jammminjay

Reaction
Re: Old off-road pics-new photos from 1962

Here's some pictures I got from Billy Roberson of his dad and crew from a Baja run in 1962.
In the pictures are Dave Elkins(rider), Bill Roberston Jr(rider),Billy Robertson Sr(Billy's grandfather), Walt Fulton from m/c magazine and Mike McCormick.

Check out Billys grandfather fueling the bikes under the wing of the plane smokin' cig.

These guys were tough riding those old Hondas what must felt like 10k miles.

I was going to change the fork oil and soften up the rear shock 2 clicks on my WR this weekend before went riding because I think it will make it handle better for the 2 hours I'm on it....now maybe I'll only change it 1 click in honor of these guys.

Quote from Billy-
My father was my co driver at the 92 1000 25th running to La Paz .
He was my co dog to El Arco.
Steve Holliday took it to La Paz. from El Arco
We finished 2nd CL 1
Simon & Simon 1st
Holliday & Robertson 2nd
Walker Evans 3rd
That was my dads last race
Billy

Jeff
This is amazing

David K

Reaction
Have I posted my Super-8 of the 1973 Baja 1000 in this thread? Maybe, but for anyone who hasn't seen it, a few minutes of the racers passing by, east of Ojos Negros just beyond where the blacktop ended then (I was 16 filming this. Period music added):

Curtis Guise

Administrator
Reaction
Website
www.offroadaction.com
Have I posted my Super-8 of the 1973 Baja 1000 in this thread? Maybe, but for anyone who hasn't seen it, a few minutes of the racers passing by, east of Ojos Negros just beyond where the blacktop ended then (I was 16 filming this. Period music added):

That's awesome. And reminds me about the vintage footage I have on my Dezert People Youtube channel that I don't think I posted in here.

Part 1: (no audio)
1973 NORRA, Baja 500
1973 Ensenada 300 (Santo Thomas)
1973 SCORE Riverside
1974 Whirly-Bird / Bonny & Clyde 350
1974 SCORE Riverside
1974 Barstow
1974 Parker 500 on CA side

Old Truck Guy

Reaction
Willow Springs short course race. Start of the race..second jump. Jack Flannery got crossed up over jump...came across entire track and T-boned the door panel of Dads Truck taking him out of the race.

The bad part was, a ride in the right seat was auctioned off for charity but that accident ended their ride in about 45 seconds.

-Kash
That was a great event. Jack was the best at assaulting a mound of dirt at unrealistic angles and speeds. I remember talking to Bill Mears and wife at WS as we watched from behind the fence. It was so cool that they watched the race along side of us mortals. They were so approachable. I remember your dad, Wells and Nelson innovating class 8.
In said event, I wanna say that Rick was in the red Honcho, while Roger was in the Nissan that Savage twisted the f out the rules to build in a successful campaign to beat Manny's Stroppe ranger.

About Flannery, Jack was a brute. I loved watching him overdrive that old f-150 trying to beat Walker at Riverside in the mid 80's.

How many of you remember him in '84 or '85 launching off of that jump just before making the left onto Thompson's Ridge? That was at least a 100 foot launch going as fast as the truck would go leading up to the mound. Landed it, but later broke, putting on one helluva show before pulling out. I still have it on 8mm film somewhere.
Even Walker never tried that feat.

Flannery and Le Duc were instrumental in tying together midwest short course with SCORE short course.
They definitely made Wisconsin proud.
Sorry to get off topic. Just wanted to share those memories.

sb4pro

Reaction
That was a great event. Jack was the best at assaulting a mound of dirt at unrealistic angles and speeds. I remember talking to Bill Mears and wife at WS as we watched from behind the fence. It was so cool that they watched the race along side of us mortals. They were so approachable. I remember your dad, Wells and Nelson innovating class 8.
In said event, I wanna say that Rick was in the red Honcho, while Roger was in the Nissan that Savage twisted the f out the rules to build in a successful campaign to beat Manny's Stroppe ranger.

About Flannery, Jack was a brute. I loved watching him overdrive that old f-150 trying to beat Walker at Riverside in the mid 80's.

How many of you remember him in '84 or '85 launching off of that jump just before making the left onto Thompson's Ridge? That was at least a 100 foot launch going as fast as the truck would go leading up to the mound. Landed it, but later broke, putting on one helluva show before pulling out. I still have it on 8mm film somewhere.
Even Walker never tried that feat.

Flannery and Le Duc were instrumental in tying together midwest short course with SCORE short course.
They definitely made Wisconsin proud.
Sorry to get off topic. Just wanted to share those memories.
I think this was probably one of Jack’s coolest crashes .

Jammminjay

Reaction
Did anyone here collect the SCORE dash plaques from the older days of racing? I often didn't get to Ensenada or the registration area before the race to buy one, but when I did between 1974 and 1981...

Obviously, my 'Contestant' plaque from my co-driving the 1979 Baja 1000 is my favorite!
David if you would ever be willing to sell some of those or part ways I am a huge offroad history nerd, I would LOVE to have one.

Jammminjay

Reaction
What do you guys know about this Porsche? Looks like it is a 5 car but with struts? This was at the 1988 Mint 400. Does anyone know more about it?

Screen Shot 2021-07-20 at 11.03.09 AM.png

DuaneH

Reaction
Jammminjay....Pretty sure the Porsche was built and raced by Rich Minga, and I am pretty sure he raced it in Class 5 Unlimited