Old off-road pics

offroadracer516

RDC Crypto
Website
www.race-dezert.com
More pics from our great friend Bill Thompson from Carrera photo. Big air and and a big win at Glen Helen for my dad. King Dave Hendrickson. I am almost positive this is the race they stopped at coming home from Crandon. My dad had just won Crandon. They were driving back home with the motor torn down from post race tech in Crandon. A buddy that was with him said you know there is a race at glen helen this weekend too? At the time 516 was getting big entries every where they raced. So my dad decided to stop on the way home. They put the motor back together. And went on to win Glen Helen too. What a week that must of been. Sadly I was to young to remember. But the pics are there. The #1 is on the door for a reason.

Attachments

• adsasdsaddsadsdaasd.PNG
    adsasdsaddsadsdaasd.PNG
    913.8 KB · Views: 0
  • asdadsddasdsdads.PNG
    asdadsddasdsdads.PNG
    693.9 KB · Views: 0
  • adasdasdasddasda.PNG
    adasdasdasddasda.PNG
    1 MB · Views: 0
Advertising supports this site

Curtis Guise

Administrator
RDC Crypto
Website
www.offroadaction.com
Cow race photos was shooting a lot of MDR races 2000-2002, we were running the Los Amigos 8 truck then (Eric Heiden) DOR. I have a lot of photos from COW.

Yeah I hit up Kelly. He changed his business name to RnR photos. He said he shot all of the MDR races but its all on film buried in storage.

ACME

RDC Crypto
Pro-spectator.com has also been around a while, but not quite the early MDR days...

maybe try go-desert.com LOL

Last edited:

TJ_Gambino

RDC Crypto
Found these in a box of Mint 400 stuff from the 70’s.

Attachments

• F772B285-49B6-4D7E-AE0B-2C91F417CDFE.jpeg
    F772B285-49B6-4D7E-AE0B-2C91F417CDFE.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0

Jammminjay

RDC Crypto
Never forget the off-road motorhome that was built by Bill Stroppe to go race at the Mexican 1000 in 1969. Yes, a motorhome racing in Baja.

Condor Coach Corporation approached Stroppe in 68' to build them a race motorhome for Baja for an odd-ball marketing attempt to reach off-road racers instead of the typical outdoorsmen.

It had a Ford 460 big-block making 400hp, 4 wheel drive, a roll cage, and was able to reach speeds of 90 mph. But that was it; it wasn't just an empty box, no. Condor made sure it was still a functioning motorhome, complete with a toilet, kitchen, and even a bed surrounded by steel roll-cage tubing with nine hoops. Apparently, 250 ft of steel tubing was used to make the roll cage.

The Baja Condor was christened 'Debbie Special'. On its main voyage at the 69' Mexican 1000, it finished the race 70 hours after the race winner and 42 hours outside of classification—Debbie was a miserable failure.

That same year Bill Stroppe's other project was the winner: the Ford Bronco piloted by Larry Minor and Rod Hall.

There isn't too much information on the Condor Baja, but we know it continued to race throughout the years and even raced Pike Peak hill climb. Our friends at Road & Track wrote an incredible story on it in 2014, and photos are very difficult to find. It was also posted about it a while back in 2010 on Off-Road Action

If anyone knows the whereabouts of the Condor Baja is or even a story about it, let us know.

546b3d2602f3f_-_0011969_condor_baja-lg.jpeg

Mint-400_02.jpeg

Bro_Gill

Live. Laugh. Love.
RDC Crypto
I got to talk to some of the guys involved with this years ago. Don't know about Baja, but I do remember them saying that for the Mint 400, they installed a 5 point harness for the toilet. Must have been a fun program. I remember this thing being for sale years ago from an old RV sale lot, was being stored in East L.A. if I remember right, like El Monte or LaVerne or something.

Matthew Camp

RDC Crypto
My dad and uncle told a story of coming to a stop not far from them in the mint 400 , they ran over to lend a hand and they were stopped making sandwiches for lunch and offered my dad and uncle !

RDC Crypto
Here are some pictures from Indian Dunes near Santa Clarita from `79 or `80.
The first two are Arciero & Sons. #3, The good old land-rush starts. #4&5 just some cool Bajas.
Anybody else have any pictures from Indian Dunes before they closed ? I would love to see what anybody else has.
I raced there in I think 78, I'd also love to see some pics from there since I lost mine to a fire.

Jammminjay

RDC Crypto
Does anyone know anything about the 1990 Class 3 Baja 500 Winner Nissan Pathfinder? I know it was Balch/Deetz. Where is it now? Not much information on it, despite winning the 500.

Screen Shot 2022-02-21 at 3.35.56 AM.png

Jammminjay

RDC Crypto
Did anyone here collect the SCORE dash plaques from the older days of racing? I often didn't get to Ensenada or the registration area before the race to buy one, but when I did between 1974 and 1981...

Obviously, my 'Contestant' plaque from my co-driving the 1979 Baja 1000 is my favorite!
Are these for sale yet?