Old or new 9"

NorCal_Prerunner

Reaction
Old or new 9\"

Is it better to get an old 9" rear end and build it up, or purchase a new, built one. Pros and cons? It will be used on a 4 link setup, running a V6. And yes, I am on a budget. Thanks in advance.

jnie

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
Re: Old or new 9\"

DIdnt you just post that you are going to run Deavers? JSut curious. Get a new one if you can afford it. Currie makes nice ones.

Kris

"A man with a watch knows what time it is; with two watches, he is never sure" Joseph E. Shigley

TRDshaunTRD

Reaction

if buying an old 9" and building it up inside and out, it shouldn't be an issue of reliability vs. a new one as long as you support the stock housing. I have known a lot of people who have had good luck with old rear ends from junkyards. I would just gusset the rear to make sure the housing doesnt break. But in your case, you would only be saving the cost of the housing, so you may want to buy new since you would be replacing everything anyway. If you buy new, you could get a stock one, prerunner rear, or even a full floater. If it was me, I would get an old one, change the gears, and ride the hell out of it. And if it breaks, you know where you need to gusset it, and you would be having just as much fun as if you had a new one. Good luck with your project!

"Those who risk nothing are nothing."

RacerX

Reaction

I have a 9" housing if anybody needs it.