Old school desert racer restro

Trail Duster

Reaction
Hello Desert Racers,
I found this '77 Dodge Ramcharger SE 440 desert racer in Yerrington Nevada and bought it immediately.
The guy I bought it from said it was a father and son project they gave up on. So now my son and I are going to restore it to it's former use as a beginner truck.
I am hoping for tips, parts and some information on this truck as a starting base to help my son into the sport with the intention to save this truck, use it as a support vehicle later and for my son to upgrade to a competitive truck of today's more modern standards later on as his skills advance.
I would appreciate any help in helping my son Steven Jr. to move forward into the awsome sport of desert racing of which he enjoys watching the races a lot.
He's a good kid looking for something exciting to be a part of and I see this sport to be one of the best to be a part of because of the quality of people that are a part of it. And the fact we live in Silver Springs Nevada smack dab in the middle of the desert fun zone!
So if you have any thoughts, old parts for sale or idea's to help this project along please feel free to contact us so we may help contribute to such a great sport. We will look forward to hearing any positive messages to moving this project forward. Thank you.

Attachments

jeepspeedcom

Reaction
Looks like the perfect start for a father and son Jeepspeed Outlaws Class 2700. Go to www.jeepspeed.com for rules. Spend your money on some good shocks and cage. Call Mike at 714 719 2696 or email mike@jeepspeed.com who can advize on rules and parts. Hope to see you in the desert.

Bert is my name

Reaction
Please keep it period correct. Almost every other form of motorsport does this. If you do upgrades look for things like the one off shocks that guys like nye Frank or John Corrao (s.p.)of c.j. machine built. These trucks deserve to stay as close to period correct as possible /safe. Buy another vehicle to cut up so that future generations can see the evolution. They can't all be trophy trucks. Your truck is a perfect example of class 3/4 . Please keep it that way.

Bert is my name

Reaction
But. A low deck 500 inch mopar with Indy heads and a cam around 325 to 350 degrees would make for a mean ass ride.

crafty

Reaction
Check out the Vintage threads. Guys have a lot of knowledge and don’t mind sharing.

jeepspeedcom

Reaction
Please keep it period correct. Almost every other form of motorsport does this. If you do upgrades look for things like the one off shocks that guys like nye Frank or John Corrao (s.p.)of c.j. machine built. These trucks deserve to stay as close to period correct as possible /safe. Buy another vehicle to cut up so that future generations can see the evolution. They can't all be trophy trucks. Your truck is a perfect example of class 3/4 . Please keep it that way.
Jeepspeed Class 2700 is perfect for vintage style vehicles. 12" front travel. 14" rear travel. 2 shocks per wheel. 35" tires. So you could race this leaf sprung truck with virtually no changes and still be legal for NORRA

Trail Duster

Reaction
We so agree, keeping it period correct was our main goal on this Ramcharger.
My son agrees once he feels more confident we can move up into another truck with more suspension and more horsepower.
When I was younger I did the drag race thing. Nowadays it's not near as affordable. But desert racing is more feasible for us and we have a lot of free practice space out here.
I thank you all for the great feedback and information and I look forward to meet you all in the great sandpit real soon. Thanks again.

Attachments

baja_racer

Reaction
Happy building.......that's a nice find!!!

Bert is my name

Reaction
For some inspiration check out Mark Newhans gray ramcharger. Saw that thing on display at off road warehouse in el Cajon. It's gorgeous.