Old School (ie 1980s) Race Pics....

J Prich

Reaction
So here's some background. I got in to desert racing as a kid in the early 80s. My Dad hauled me out to Vegas every April/May from roughly 1981 to 1988 to camp and watch the Mint. We'd drive out to Vegas from CA early Friday morning, catch tech on Fremont, and then make our way out to the course Friday afternoon to stake our claim.

My pops is a bit of an amatuer photog and had been taken pictures for fun since the early 70s. We have craptons of pics from those Mint trips along with a few others (Riverside, etc). Anyway, having come across this site about two months ago searching for info about the "new" Mint it occurred to me that there are a lot of folks who are members of this community who might have been around then and might appreciate seeing some of the pictures that have been in boxes in our closets for two decades.

So anyway, I live in Vegas now and headed back to CA for the weekend to visit pops and stole all his old negatives. Some $350 later I got all those pics put burned to CD's so I could share them here. There are literally over 100 (hence the $350 price tag) so I'll have to upload them somewhere in mass and post the link but in the meantime I wanted to share a taste of what is there.

Normally I'd tell a person they were out of their mind if they paid $350 for some damn pictures but I was really excited about the prospects of sharing some of these memories with people who might have similiar memories so really I'm just looking to maximize the exposure of my dad's pics in the hopes of some of you getting some joy out of it. I forgot how many amazing pics there are.

So anyway, with all of that said, here are a handful of black and white pics my dad shot at the 1983 Firecracker 250 in Barstow. Enjoy!

Jason

Attachments

J Prich

Reaction

scottm

Reaction
That's awesome! You have a cool dad.
When did trucks finally quit racing with windshield glass?

loufish

Reaction
I got into off road racing in the mid-late 70's....

Thank you for sharing those photos, got a real kick looking back...!

J Prich

Reaction

J Prich

Reaction
This is just the Firecracker stuff. I've got 50+ from Riverside in 83 to include Walker Evans, Ivan Stewart, John Adams, John Baker Rod Hall, etc. Both off road and short course trucks. After that I'll tackle the Mint stuff. I've got a few dozen B&W and oodles of color from 83, 85, and 87/88 I think. There's some Dave Shoppe, Ivan Stewart pre Toyota days, and I think there might even be a Mickey Thompson in there but I'll have to double check that.

J Prich

Reaction
Blows me away to see how far technology has come. GPS wasn't even a wet dream then. So many guys with open face helmets and a pair of googles, etc. I'll tackle the Riverside stuff tomorrow evening and then I'll start sorting through the Mint stuff.

BobBower

Reaction
Blows me away to see how far technology has come. GPS wasn't even a wet dream then. So many guys with open face helmets and a pair of googles, etc. I'll tackle the Riverside stuff tomorrow evening and then I'll start sorting through the Mint stuff.
Wow. thanks for bringing these images out to be seen. I might be one of those guys who might have been in one of those race cars from Barstow in 1983. I'll tell ya right now that Adams was one of the smoothest drivers out there. He made that Warren Baird prepped Jeep feel gentle.

Thanks for taking the time and $$ to share these little chunks of our heritage. If you are on to Riverside in 1983 perhaps you might look for some shots of the Randall crash on Thompsons Ridge.

BB

J Prich

Reaction
The Riverside shots are limited by geography. I was all of 9 in 1983 and I remember we met up with some friends who stayed the weekend in the RV jungle. We were on the backside of the course where we could see the land rush start. I don't remember much of the buggy stuff and most of my dad's pics are the trucks. I do remember Rod Hall and Walker Evans going at it for a few laps until Hall's truck broke right in front of us. He climbed out and waited for Evans to come by, gave him the one finger salute, and headed back to the pits. If your familiar with the track I'm sure you'll recognize where we were based on the camera angles.

I've got some pictures of Don Adams signing a poster that took up some wall space in my room well in to my late teens. Lots of fun stuff.

prdracefab

Reaction
So here's some background. I got in to desert racing as a kid in the early 80s. My Dad hauled me out to Vegas every April/May from roughly 1981 to 1988 to camp and watch the Mint. We'd drive out to Vegas from CA early Friday morning, catch tech on Fremont, and then make our way out to the course Friday afternoon to stake our claim.

My pops is a bit of an amatuer photog and had been taken pictures for fun since the early 70s. We have craptons of pics from those Mint trips along with a few others (Riverside, etc). Anyway, having come across this site about two months ago searching for info about the "new" Mint it occurred to me that there are a lot of folks who are members of this community who might have been around then and might appreciate seeing some of the pictures that have been in boxes in our closets for two decades.

So anyway, I live in Vegas now and headed back to CA for the weekend to visit pops and stole all his old negatives. Some $350 later I got all those pics put burned to CD's so I could share them here. There are literally over 100 (hence the $350 price tag) so I'll have to upload them somewhere in mass and post the link but in the meantime I wanted to share a taste of what is there.

Normally I'd tell a person they were out of their mind if they paid $350 for some damn pictures but I was really excited about the prospects of sharing some of these memories with people who might have similiar memories so really I'm just looking to maximize the exposure of my dad's pics in the hopes of some of you getting some joy out of it. I forgot how many amazing pics there are.

So anyway, with all of that said, here are a handful of black and white pics my dad shot at the 1983 Firecracker 250 in Barstow. Enjoy!

Jason
I think tim casey still owns his dads la paz party mix truck 408

TROPHYSEDAN

Reaction
very cool. keep them coming.

randy68

#1 Enemy of Google
Reaction
Thanks!!!!
Can't wait to see what else you've got.
Priceless, indeed!