• Forum membership has its advantages....

Old School Rob Naughton

Steve_Naughton

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-CgbEFFMyM"]YouTube - Robert "Fig" Naughton - Vintage 1985 Supercross[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxkVUw0jdQU"]YouTube - Rob Naughton '95 X-Games Downhill Mountain Bike[/ame]

Mary Kay

PRINCESS
Hey Rob, love the sweet one hander when crossing the finish line:D

GunnSlinger

Captain Backpack
......i was born in 1985....

lol cool to see some OLD videos of Rob, he is definitely one of my favorite drivers!!!!!

speedfun

Lary is the best i remember him at Costa Masa speedway wearing a white Tux jumping on the guard rail
I will now date myself -- I lettered in High school motocross class of 1976 :eek: those were the days saddelback park oweya
OK start with the old guy jokes and the rocks baaaaahahaha

Bridges

Senior Replay
sweet footage, thanks for sharing
was running Indian Dunes and Saddle--back in those days...
The days of the "O-Show"

Fourstroker

Awesome videos. How mnay guys do you know that have won a SX race, an X-Games Gold Medal and a major off-road championship. A few that have won 2 of the 3.

Nash!

Lary is the best i remember him at Costa Masa speedway wearing a white Tux jumping on the guard rail
I will now date myself -- I lettered in High school motocross class of 1976 :eek: those were the days saddelback park oweya
OK start with the old guy jokes and the rocks baaaaahahaha
Rick, No old guy jokes...I actually have more respect for you now.:D Growing up, I'm sure I was the only kid in my class who knew who Broc Glover was.

Pro2-54

Bobby Earl
Sweet pants. Pink leopard print spandex? I bet you still wear those under your race suit.
Bruce, wasn't it you who bought all my old spandex off ebay?

That year I rode for Foes Fabrication who actually got his inspiration for mountain bike suspension while working in the Off Road industry. This is from an article about Brent Foes:

"Foes, now 48, became enthralled with the suspensions of off-road vehicles while racing motorcycles professionally in the 1970s.
He started tweaking the machines he rode so they would better absorb bumps and jolts. By the early 1980s, his handiwork had attracted the attention of Nissan, Ford and Dodge, which contracted him to build suspensions for their off-road racecars. Professional drivers Rick Mears, Roger Mears, Steve Millen and Jack Johnson began winning races like the Baja 500 and Pikes Peak Hill Climb in machines cushioned by Foes' suspensions."

By the way, that was not Pink Leopard spandex. It was Red Yokohama tire print spandex as Yokohama was one of our sponsors that year. I also won that race with a Fox air shock tuned by no other than John Marking, so I have been winning races on Fox shox for 14 years now.
I also started my relationship with Maxxis the following season racing Mountain bikes on Maxxis tires, so that is 13 years with them.

I get a kick out of watching these old vid's especially the announcers and the phrases they used, "Kalos is on him like a dog on a piece of meat", "the champagne, glory and gold" Etc.....But I know there are a gazillion more, so for all us old timers out there what where your favorite announcer quotes and phrases from the good old days?

CMI CHUCK

Remember this one "Like a Krishna on an Airport Traveler" or "The Mud The Blood and the Beer". Larry Huffman the Super Mouth Rocked!

Nash!

Remember this one "Like a Krishna on an Airport Traveler" or "The Mud The Blood and the Beer". Larry Huffman the Super Mouth Rocked!
Oh yeah... those were good. I remember watching Anehiem in like 86' and Larry said "Those ruts are so deep I think I just saw a German soldier stick his head out!"

Yeah the "Krishna on an Airport Traveler" was one of my fav's. No doubt!

speedfun

Rick, No old guy jokes...I actually have more respect for you now.:D Growing up, I'm sure I was the only kid in my class who knew who Broc Glover was.
awe heck thanks.:eek: one day we should have a few beers and pit race:) sounds fun:D

DanDan

I saw Roger DeCoster racing in St. Louis in '77. I remember Jammin Jimmy Weinert in the Coliseum. I was at Saddleback when the Hannah/Magoo double was doubled the first time. I was standing at the top of the hill when Howerton was knocked off his bike and tried to get hold of Hannah as he was going down. I saw Moates win the USGP at Carlsbad.

Gene-Gene the Dancin Machine gave me a roll of tickets for beers at Costa Mesa for being one of the loudest guys in turn one.

Glover was a young pup.

Yes! I am an old fart.

Edit: I shouldn't mention the old days at Costa Mesa without giving props to Gene Woods for being a contender every time he rolled up to the line. Good times.

Nash!

I saw Roger DeCoster racing in St. Louis in '77. I remember Jammin Jimmy Weinert in the Coliseum. I was at Saddleback when the Hannah/Magoo double was doubled the first time. I was standing at the top of the hill when Howerton was knocked off his bike and tried to get hold of Hannah as he was going down. I saw Moates win the USGP at Carlsbad.

Gene-Gene the Dancin Machine gave me a roll of tickets for beers at Costa Mesa for being one of the loudest guys in turn one.

Glover was a young pup.

Yes! I am an old fart.

Edit: I shouldn't mention the old days at Costa Mesa without giving props to Gene Woods for being a contender every time he rolled up to the line. Good times.
Yeah, I would have fit right in Southern California in "Motocross Mecca" in the 70's, 80's or even the 90's. Sounds like you saw and did some cool things in a really cool era in moto.

I am always fascinated to talk to moto-fans/riders at the races as it's always neat to hear what era in motocross that person was really grasped by.( And you can usually guess how hold they are...:)) I am a little younger than you as I first got excited about it and started following it in the early 80's. I was really captivated by the whole Ward,Johnson,Baily, Hannnah, Glover era. I will never forget watching the Golden State Nationals at Carlsbad on ESPN and thinking holy cow, how the hell do those guys hold on to the bars at that place. For me it was visiting tracks like Millville,Redbud,and the Supercross at the Metrodome.

Watching that video of Rob's and even just hearing Larry Huffman’s voice for me is like hearing Chris Economaki call Indy for some people. It takes you back to those times in your life and puts a smile on your face.

DanDan,if you want to listen to a cool Podcast on your computer, check this out! (I am addicted...)

http://www.racerxonline.com/category/podcast.aspx

They are mixing it up pretty good as far as different era riders. If you are interested, they have one on O'mara,Ward, Bayle, and Barnett for now.(There was a Lechein one but I don't see it here.) Hopefully they get a few more of the older guys on there, they have great stories!

PS: I didn't think of you as an old fart till you mentioned "Gene-Gene the Dancin Machine"...lol (I watched The Gong Show too!)