Old School Trophy trucks

SDranger

In a thread on the shop board someone said that it has only been recently that all the trophy trucks were running a-arms. I've never seen one with anything else, but if there are/were trophys with a diffrent kind of suspension, does anyone know were i can find info/pics of them?
Thanks,
Paul

97 Ranger 4x4
02 CR125

bpthirteen

Mike Leslies Jeep Cherokee was 4wd and had a straight axle in the front. The Duralast F-150 was probably the best I-beam vehicle ever built. Curt Leduc raced his short course Cherokee at Laughlin once and it had Twin Traction beams. The F-150 that Robby and Vessals drove together had I-beams.

http://www.prepbyjake.com

AllwaysRcn

RE" The F-150 that Robby and Vessals drove together had I-beams"

ie: "The Hay Hauler"

"Quality has No Fear of Time"

Chris_Wilson

That I-beam Enduro truck was a legal class 8 when it won the TT championship
unless it had fuel injection which is not legal in class 8. But the rest of the truck
was legal class 8.

AllwaysRcn

Dave G would know this for sure- But I believe all they did was "un-strap" the front end (put on longer limiting straps) to give it more than the 15" allowed in class 8.

DougM

Actually the Vessells/Gordon wasnt the Hay Hauler it was Roseanne.
After Robby sold it to Marty

AllwaysRcn

Thats right. I forgot about Roseanne. I'm thinking of the Gordons Hay and Feed one that was before? Roseanne. (not a TT also). Sorry!

Tony_Barraza

"Old" TT's with A-arms:

•Ultra Wheels-(then Herbst, NOW PCI)-built at the end of '90 for Class 1
•Simon & Simon (now Juan Carlos Ibarra)-built in '91-'92 for Class 1
•Craftsman Cherokee (Originally-owned by Larry Maddox, driven by 1.) Jack Johnson 2.) Steve McCeachern. THEN owned/driven by Curt LeDuc)-built in '92-'93 for Class 1
•ALL of Walker's Class 1/8's turned TT/TT Dodge's
•Robby Gordon's La Victoria/Havoline Ranger (Mike Smith-built, then RCR owned/driven NOW living in AZ)-built '92-'93 for Class 1
•Frank "Scoop" Vessels Unlimited Nissan (Bill Savage-designed, four-wheel independent suspension)-built '91'-'92 for Class 1 (attempt to challenge PPI/Ivan/Toyota Class 1)
•Roger Mears' Single-Seat Chevy (then Juan Carlos Ibarra)-Debut '95 season
•Nelson & Nelson Chevy "Butch" (Class 8 turned TT, driven by Ragland THEN Jimmie Johnson NOW owned by Penchansky Bros.)

That should do it for the early stuff. Did I miss anyone?

"Get Creative!"

Tony B.

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
Tony never ceases to amaze me with his endless expertise in the history of off-road racing!

See ya in the dirt!

martininsocal

tony - you forgot the letner TT. and the hay hauler was not a gordon owned vehicle, that was the old('65) ford owned by Jim Venable, originally his ride, then he let stan gilbert drive it to a thrid overall at a mint 400 and then put robby in it, the rest is history. the original t0mag nissan was built by savage for jack johnson to drive, it was the death blow to the fullsize class 3 and 4 vehicles based on production vehicles...

If your gonna go, go BIG

Waldo

Safehouse
Wasn't the old Swift truck rebuilt after that horrible crash at the 500. I know they rebuilt it after their endo at barstow. Anyone know where it is?

BRAAAAAAAAP!

Curtis Guise

Administrator
correct me if I am wrong but the cherokee that Curt Leduc ran all the time in the old days in TT had a solid front axle didn't it? different than what someone said about the cherokee that he raced in Laughlin once with twin traction beams...

Waldo

Safehouse
I remember him running a 2wd Cherokee TT most of the time. However, a couple times he raced a 4wd Cherokee at Laughlin and Winter SODA/CORR at Glen Helen. Both of these trucks were owned by Clive Skilton. Clive owns Don-A-Vee Jeep and Kia and probably more. I don't think Curt ever owned these vehicles.

BRAAAAAAAAP!

Gabe Lara

Swift's Explorer ran the Nevada 2k if my memory serves me right.
I remember ORC had some pics of it on their site.

-Gabe

pciscott

Mighty mouse the Nye Frank truck was the truck Rob MacCachren won the Trophy Truck points in. It now sits in the Garage of Todd Clements of Wide Open Baja Adventures. Someone should snap this baby up that wants to race Trophy Truck. I can attest to the fact that old trucks work good when prepped right. Barry Beacham at RPS is doing a great job for me, in fact I nominate him for Score mechanic of the year. In 1989 when my Dad bought me a Mini Mag for my 21st birthday, I would have never dreamed that I would ever race in the top class with the Top Dogs! Now all I need is an overall win. The problem is some of these DOGS BITE! Good luck to everyone racing the Nevada 1000, I will be sitting this one out. Have fun and be safe!

God Bless America

Scott Steinberger Trophy Truck #7

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
I remember it the same way. Looked kinda funny! I remember it with a-arms, but I could be wrong.

See ya in the dirt!