• Forum membership has its advantages....

On Topic Old TC race kit thoughts

I recently picked up this old 92 4x4 Toyota out of a junkyard for super cheap.

IMG_0622.JPG

it came with an old TC race kit, uniball at the frame, upper and lower uniballs, and full hiem steering with the TC idler. I emailed TC about it and they claimed it was an old kit ran on a class 3 4runner, this one to be exact
IMG_0795.JPG

the weird thing about this kit is the coilover and supporting shock is mounted off the upper
IMG_0916.JPG

the upper seems super sturdy and I'm not concerned much about it, but do you guys think the spindle will hold? I won't be racing the truck but I also don't want a time bomb on my hands. I know these spindles are forged and that the 4x4 torsionbar was ran off the upper so I assume it can take the loading. Anyone have any input? Also here is some more pictures of the truck
IMG_1095.JPG
IMG_1199.JPG
IMG_1096.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

partybarge_pilot

As long as you don't try to run a bumpstop off the top of the spindle it will be fine. As long as there are no cracks in the arms, that kit should have plenty of life in it.

You may want to cycle it, looks like you will not get all the up travel possible. I have angled the bumpstops on the frame quite a bit on those to use all the angle on the uniballs.

partybarge_pilot

Also, T-bars are a bad idea on extended arms. When the adjusting bolt lets go, it shoots through the floor into your ass. If you must run them, weld a 1/4" plate to the bottom of the floor above the bolt. Also weld caps over the ends of the sockets on the a-arm end to keep them from splitting. Wraping the adjuster arms will also help keep them from spreading/bending.

As long as you don't try to run a bumpstop off the top of the spindle it will be fine. As long as there are no cracks in the arms, that kit should have plenty of life in it.

You may want to cycle it, looks like you will not get all the up travel possible. I have angled the bumpstops on the frame quite a bit on those to use all the angle on the uniballs.
Thanks party barge, I was about to PM you on DR to ask about it haha. And your very right about the uptravel, right now the rotor is actually hitting the front of the lower about an inch before full bump. Ive been looking for a way to get a small thickness rotor in there but I think I'm going to be grinding the kit. Which is iffy to me, because obviously the kit didn't bind when it was raced.
IMG_1016.JPG
here's a pic for visualization. (The bolt was loose but it's the same when tightened) the front of the lower starts to dig into the rotor like I was saying. I'm going to try a smaller misalignment spacer and if that doesn't work, breaking out the grinder.

partybarge_pilot

I am not sure that is the correct lower spacer. A shorter spacer will give you more clearance.

Also, there were differances in rotor position between strait axle and IFS. But I forget which one is which LOL. It's been a while.

Edit, should have read your whole post LOL. stopped before I got to the spacer part.

Yeah that's what I'm thinking, hopefully the spacer will allow enough clearance. I'll look into the rotors as well.