Older Sway-A-Way parts

Bebop

Reaction
Hi,

I'm looking for a pair of wearbands for some older 2.0 sway a way coilovers.

AFEPower sells them as part of their $200+ master rebuild kits.

I just need 2 piston wearbands not the whole deal.

It's impossible to get AFEpower on the line. I sent emails multiple times.

Who can I call and get 2 wearbands from ??

Thanks

JWHracing

Reaction
I have a pair of 2.0 sway away coilovers on my baja. I ended up having a set of fox pistons machined to fit the SAW shock shafts, so it uses a Fox wear band. If I were to do it again, I'd just buy a set of Fox shafts the appropriate length, new Fox pistons, and then use Fox valving shims since they cost a fraction of what the SAW stuff costs these days. If I remember correctly, my wear bands look more like a piece of plastic/pvc than the typical bronze/PTFE coated.

Shockseals.com does list the dimensions for the 2.0 Fox on their site. Maybe it's close enough to work.

brad inch

Reaction
you will really like how the fox pistons and parts work in your shocks, they will get rid of the harsh ride with the same size shims.

Bebop

Reaction
I have a pair of 2.0 sway away coilovers on my baja. I ended up having a set of fox pistons machined to fit the SAW shock shafts, so it uses a Fox wear band. If I were to do it again, I'd just buy a set of Fox shafts the appropriate length, new Fox pistons, and then use Fox valving shims since they cost a fraction of what the SAW stuff costs these days. If I remember correctly, my wear bands look more like a piece of plastic/pvc than the typical bronze/PTFE coated.

Shockseals.com does list the dimensions for the 2.0 Fox on their site. Maybe it's close enough to work.

That's a good idea, but too complex for what I'm doing.
I also have some Fox 2.0s on the bench and the wearbands aren't remotely close to the SAW ones unfortunately.

you will really like how the fox pistons and parts work in your shocks, they will get rid of the harsh ride with the same size shims.

I really wish I understood more about piston design. What is the reason the SAW are know for their hard ride ?

brad inch

Reaction
That's a good idea, but too complex for what I'm doing.
I also have some Fox 2.0s on the bench and the wearbands aren't remotely close to the SAW ones unfortunately.

I really wish I understood more about piston design. What is the reason the SAW are know for their hard ride ?
the oil goes though the piston to close to the shaft and trys to bend the shim in the middle ,the fox piston lets the oil push on the outer part of the shim.makes bending the shim easier. spend the money and you will be happy

Bebop

Reaction
the oil goes though the piston to close to the shaft and trys to bend the shim in the middle ,the fox piston lets the oil push on the outer part of the shim.makes bending the shim easier. spend the money and you will be happy

Cool, that makes sense ! Thanks !

I may end up spending the $.

Bebop

Reaction
I finally was able to talk to someone at AFE. They have the wearband and just sold a few to me. Took a long time to get to someone but they were very nice and shipped them promptly.

If someone ends up later on this thread for the same reason, the part# is 52036-001. Cost is $5.00ea.

@MCM MOTORSPORTS That's a good idea. I'll keep that in mind if I ever have the needs for another one and AFE can't supply them.