• Forum membership has its advantages....

Oldish Race Videos

Rory

Crayola Killer
Thanks Matt, much appreciated. It would be nice to see some more old videos uploaded to YouTube for viewing.

scottm

It's amazing to see the truck development between the 1988 Nevada 500 video and these from 1996. Robby's truck found the formula.

Josh 8

Thank you. That's good stuff there.

John F2000

Not sure what it is about the older broadcasts, but I have to admit I think they did a better job than most of the current desert events on tv. Or I am just getting nostalgic and like watching the older races.

Phoenix0783

Not sure what it is about the older broadcasts, but I have to admit I think they did a better job than most of the current desert events on tv. Or I am just getting nostalgic and like watching the older races.
I think a lot of it is in the announcers and I think they were better back then.

offroadracer516

The video coverage was so much better back then. Why they are trying to re invent the wheel with this new crap focused strictly on a few classes is beyond me! Thanks for sharing. Hope to see more!

JayQC

Just stumbled on this in the recommended videos, might as well drop this here

John Clark

Man, sad when i remember being at a lot of theses races as a 21 year old co-driver.
Watching robby pass us in that " Hay Truck"

JayQC

The video coverage was so much better back then. Why they are trying to re invent the wheel with this new crap focused strictly on a few classes is beyond me! Thanks for sharing. Hope to see more!
Honestly I like them better too, but I can't figure out why, so it's probably nostalgia.

BUT, with that said, it's obvious that the announcers and crews are very experienced in all kinds of sports. Multiple angle replays of great passes, "let's look at it again from the chopper", oh look Robby Gordon has broken down and boom we got a microphone and a presenter on the ground in the middle of the desert and oh here's Rod Hall honking at us too while we interview Robby. Bottleneck jam on the summit? We're there with cameras and presenters, I mean damn guys, really on top of it with that coverage.

But then again, I think about the Mint 4000 coverage with Masekela and I struggle to find something the old guys did that Red Bull isn't doing as well, apart from maybe landing on course during the race and interview stopped racers. I'm really impressed with that dedication to be THERE by ESPN.

I think that the old footage being so gritty just fits so well with the nasty races that guys who don't mind a little sand in their Tecate feel right at home watching those.

Last edited:

JayQC

'86 Baja 1000

Check out the channels who posted the videos in this thread, they have other great ones too.