Onboard jacks

rickf

Reaction
Has anyone plumbed their onboard jack system to work with a regular airhose?
Why not?
Is the pressure different?

It seems like it would make pitstops a ton quicker if we could just stab a airhose on rather than mess with a jack.

V-Town

Reaction
What type of jack system? Most air hose is only good for 250 psi.

Tipracer

Reaction
They run off a power steering pump....lots of pressure. It is my understanding that the air type jacks used with formulla type cars will not work off road because of the length of travel required, as well imagine the volume/pressure requirements of an air system with the capability to lift through 3 feet plus of suspension and another foot of silt....

Forty1Racing

Reaction
All german motorsports has a system runs off the power steering.

rickf

Reaction
They run off a power steering pump....lots of pressure. It is my understanding that the air type jacks used with formulla type cars will not work off road because of the length of travel required, as well imagine the volume/pressure requirements of an air system with the capability to lift through 3 feet plus of suspension and another foot of silt....
10-4, I thought some were running Nitrogen systems.

Tipracer

Reaction
I guess you could use nitrogen, I think it is at 3000 psi(not to sure though), but the volume required to move a cylinder with the capacity to lift an off road vehicle is huge...lots of variables...there are some teams using air types jacks to lift their cars/trucks in the pits...the advantage is these systems are very quick and I am almost 100% positive they are using nitrogen but the feasibility of having these systems built into the car is very small....

JEFFRPM

Non Sugar Coated
Reaction
A 45lb nitrogen bottle with a regulator set at 200psi and a 3" diameter air jack 4' long and a control valve to operate it will lift a TT without any problem [and get it unstuck] Arnold has 2 one on each side.

az11race

Reaction
We use a small co2 bottle plumbed with the kevlar lined Earls plumbing hose set at about 300-350 and it lifts our truck fine and our truck is well over a TT for total weight. The co2 bottles are filled to 2000 psi and it lasts for several flats. However when it gets hot out you need have them filled at about 1500 or the heat will build pressure and blow the pressure valve. Thats all i have

01_el_tiburon

Bait Fish
Reaction
Got a buddy whos thinking of using a hummer h1 or h2 siscor jack with an impact gun on a class 7.

Reaction
We have a hydraulic system on-board the RaceShock Coyote that operates independently from the engine and lifts either side of the car in seconds, fits easily behind the passenger seat approx. 12" x 8" x 6" pump & res., two 3" by 24" rams.

retroblazer

Reaction
We have a hydraulic system on-board the RaceShock Coyote that operates independently from the engine and lifts either side of the car in seconds, fits easily behind the passenger seat approx. 12" x 8" x 6" pump & res., two 3" by 24" rams.
Any chance you could take a picture of your set-up? If I'm not mistaken, Bunderson had a nitro/air jack as well.

rickf

Reaction
We use a small co2 bottle plumbed with the kevlar lined Earls plumbing hose set at about 300-350 and it lifts our truck fine and our truck is well over a TT for total weight. The co2 bottles are filled to 2000 psi and it lasts for several flats. However when it gets hot out you need have them filled at about 1500 or the heat will build pressure and blow the pressure valve. Thats all i have
This was the kind of thing I was interested in. While an airhose fitting could be plumbed into this system for pit use, the pressures required would be higher than typical pit air pressures.
I looked at PAB's set-up yesterday (at Bean's new shop) and there's a lot of steps to go through that would make it slower to use during a pit stop.

I saw one of the teams that had a air jack (not sure if it was a one-off or not) that had a suspension air-bag as the lifting mechanism in place of the traditional floor jack mechanism that looked pretty cool.

Andy Mac

Simply Stunning
Reaction
This was the kind of thing I was interested in. While an airhose fitting could be plumbed into this system for pit use, the pressures required would be higher than typical pit air pressures.
I looked at PAB's set-up yesterday (at Bean's new shop) and there's a lot of steps to go through that would make it slower to use during a pit stop.

I saw one of the teams that had a air jack (not sure if it was a one-off or not) that had a suspension air-bag as the lifting mechanism in place of the traditional floor jack mechanism that looked pretty cool.
The Voss Team uses that suspension air-bag jack system. Looks pretty cool...

D-rek

Reaction
A 45lb nitrogen bottle with a regulator set at 200psi and a 3" diameter air jack 4' long and a control valve to operate it will lift a TT without any problem [and get it unstuck] Arnold has 2 one on each side.
Quick math and I come up with this only being able to lift 1350 lbs. I find it difficult to believe that this small of a jack is going to lift half of a 5000+ lb truck.

jo maoma

Heisenberg
Reaction
just to clarify, 3" x 3.14 = 9.42 x 200psi = 1884 lbs of force. obviously two of
them aren't going to lift the truck into the air but it seems reasonable to think
one could lever two wheels of the ground for a tire change...

D-rek

Reaction
just to clarify, 3" x 3.14 = 9.42 x 200psi = 1884 lbs of force. obviously two of
them aren't going to lift the truck into the air but it seems reasonable to think
area= pi*r^2 radius is 1.5 gives 1350....

jo maoma

Heisenberg
Reaction
area= pi*r^2 radius is 1.5 gives 1350....
right you are, missing from my calculations was copious amounts of caffeine... :D

...of course i still don't get 1350.

JEFFRPM

Non Sugar Coated
Reaction
Correct you are they were mounted behind the cab to change one rear side tire or the other or to get the truck unstuck. The tire changes in the pits were done with a POS floor jack we were in the developing stages of an air jack that would pickup the entire front or rear to change tires. The only team that pulled that off at the time was cal wells running the toyota deal with ivan driving . To this day NOBODY has used this to save time in the pits [BTW as close as the TT's are running these days SOMEBODY has got to start thinking out of the box] that trick that arciero pulled off filling the truck WHILE MOVING was absolute BRILLIANCE