ONE LAST RACE - A fitting memorial to Ray Newton

WideOpenMotorsports

Reaction
He wasn't flashy and he wasn't always a winner, but he raced them all!

Ray Newton, affectionately know as "RJ" passed away on Sat. Oct. 4th after winning his class in the CODE Mexicana Logistics 300.

RJ spent a lifetime racing in the desert. SCORE, SNORE, MDR, CODE, MORE...
he raced them all. He was a class champion, a fabricator, inventor and a great friend. I raced against him, I raced with him, he shared his expertise and taught me more about racing than I thought I could ever learn.

In the final lap of his final race, RJ out drove a much faster V8 powered car in this four cylinder 12 car to win the class. Always running on the ragged edge, RJ did whatever it took to get the car home. HAMMER DOWN was his motto and he lived it.

He raced 1999 Baja 1000, as well as, the Baja 2000.
Was a class champion in challenger and class 1/2-1600.
He defended our country in the armed forces.
He was a class man through and through.

For those who knew him, they know I speak the truth.
Godspeed RJ, your friends and fellow racers will miss you.

RJ is survived by his loving wife of many years, Norma.

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 343
  • 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 336
  • Picture 4.pdf
    561 KB · Views: 229

Old School 8

Reaction
Rest in Peace, Newt.

Ray was a long time Off Roader, racing out of the TUF Off Road stable, here in Tucson. I just talked to him on the phone a while back, and I think he just retired a little while ago. Really sad news for our local Off Road racing community.

BigBoyBlue

Reaction
I didnt know him, but he sounds like a class act.

God Speed. RIP

randy s

Reaction
these times are never easy to deal with. it's too bad. hate to hear it.

MikeLeung

Reaction
Tony, I got the news yesterday and I can't tell you how sad it made me feel. Ray and the TUF guys were one of the first people I met racing over 12 years ago and he was always willing to help me and others.

Were you co-riding with RJ at the CODE race?

MikeLeung

Reaction
We at CODE Offroad would like to extend our deepest sympathies to Ray's family and race team. We where surprized when we did not see them at the awards ceremony on Sunday and are so very sad to hear the news today.
We had the honor and pleasure talking with Ray Friday at Contingency before race day and talking about the course and the race car for this race.
Ray raced in class 14 Sportsman buggie with number 1407 on Saturday and won his class with a total of 8 entries by more than 6 minutes over second place and while doing this won the Sportsman Overall for fastest in the Sportsman division.
Nuestro mas sentido pesame para toda la familia y equipo.

CODE Offroad

Posted on the other RJ tread

Old School 8

Reaction
I will make some calls today, but if anyone else finds out about a memorial service, can you post it here ? Thanks.

WideOpenMotorsports

Reaction
I was not riding with Ray on Saturday, but I was in the pits. He drove a very fast third lap in efforts to win.

He was a great man and will be sorely missed.

A memorial service is in the works. When I find out specifics I will post them here.

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    311.5 KB · Views: 271

WideOpenMotorsports

Reaction
•••••••••••••••••••• MEMORIAL SERVICE FOR RAY NEWTON •••••••••••••••••••​

Saturday October 10th @ 1:30pm

Fire Fighter's Union Hall
2264 E. Benson Hwy
Tucson, Az

520-889-2329​

Old School 8

Reaction
There are a few Tucson racers that have Rays car back in Tucson tonight, and are in the process of cleaning it up, to have on display at his memorial.

steelman

Reaction
There are a few Tucson racers that have Rays car back in Tucson tonight, and are in the process of cleaning it up, to have on display at his memorial.

I was informed of Ray's passing on Monday. Ray and Larry from Tuff-Offroad were the first guys to build me a motor when I started racing. We have lost too many people this year!! God speed RJ!!

Mike,
Let me know if you need any help prior to Saturday- 520-940-3321

WideOpenMotorsports

Reaction
Thanks for all of the kind words. Ray was a great guy who always put others first.

Please pass the info on his memorial service to anyone who knew him.

jowoog

Reaction
wow just read this ,..... god speed RAY . really sad to hear this . ..

TufmotorsportsWife

Reaction
I would like to thank all of Ray's friend's for their love and support. I would also like you to know that we want everyone to attend in casual attire and in leiu of flowers please make a donation to your favorite charity. Thank you Norma