One Seat or Two Class 1600/10/12 > 400 Miles

yamaducci

Reaction
I have been wondering about the opinions and experiences that surround a single seat buggy compared to a two seat buggy; especially for long races. There is a Pro / Con list that come with each. After Racing in a two seat car, I can see the disadvantages of a single seat like no help at all when you need it to fix a broken car, push out of a silt bed, change a tire and lets not forget NAVIGATION. A driver is supposed to drive and a navigator stares at the Nav screen much of the time. I have seen many cars off the track or in a ravine particularly in the last rocky section of V2R. Was the driver looking at the screen when he shouldn't have been? There has been a long standing joke that single seats are faster but run off more cliffs. Is it true? Or are singles ultimately slower because they lose time looking at NAV?
What are some Experiences / Advantages / Disadvantages of either.
I look at it form a perspective of driving from East Coast all the way to the desert for the longer races. Longer races would make the drive worth it but when I get there I may not have the co-drivers or crew I need to support a two seat car. Thoughts

Astro

Reaction
Weight is a big advantage between 1 and 2 seat and competition is so tight that a flat takes you out of contention whether you change it or your co-driver does. I like 2 seat other than that. It would be nice to even up the 1 and 2 seat 10 cars.

Jacob7672

Nimrod de Ashcraft
Reaction
As far is 1600 cars go I believe there is only a 50 pound difference in minimum weight between single seat and 2 see cars. Yet you run a little less restrictive carburetor with the two seater. If you can build your 2 seat car to be right at the weight limit (which is possible) then you have a better power to weight ratio along with all the other benefits of having a navigator.

In class 10 it doesn’t matter if you’re racing by yourself or not you have the same power plant rules so I think it can be an advantage to have a single seater because of weight. It’s been a while since I’ve raced 16 and the rules may have changed but I’m pretty sure that’s still true.

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert

Astro

Reaction
As far is 1600 cars go I believe there is only a 50 pound difference in minimum weight between single seat and 2 see cars. Yet you run a little less restrictive carburetor with the two seater. If you can build your 2 seat car to be right at the weight limit (which is possible) then you have a better power to weight ratio along with all the other benefits of having a navigator.

In class 10 it doesn’t matter if you’re racing by yourself or not you have the same power plant rules so I think it can be an advantage to have a single seater because of weight. It’s been a while since I’ve raced 16 and the rules may have changed but I’m pretty sure that’s still true.

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert

Don't forget the weight of your co-driver when actually racing.

offroadracer516

Reaction
A two seat won Rage and Bap. A single seat got 2nd at Rage and bap. And my two seat got 3rd at Rage and Bap. 55 1600's at Rage. 35 or so At bap over the weekend. 1550 is the weight limit for single and two seat cars. Restirctor plate makes a difference in the power. Its all personal preference. I can race and drive both but I like that two seat life.

Attachments

• 27867799_1055520904587737_6881057369469578412_n (4).jpg
    27867799_1055520904587737_6881057369469578412_n (4).jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 104

harleys dad

Reaction
I own both single seat and 2 seat, there are some like my son who like being alone and racing with out worry about hurting the passenger.. I have put many more miles in a 2 seat but love driving the single seat. Down side to a single seat is having to pay all expenses by yourself in most cases and most of the prep

ErikIrvine

Reaction
Me & my buddy (THE Zac Riesh) love us some single seats. We raced 185 miles of the Baja 1000 this year in Tyo's car. The car had all the creature comforts, LeadNav, Lowrance, and we pre-ran our entire section. I couldn't imagine doing it in a single seat. We bickered and argued half the time and held each others hands and cried the other half. It was tough, but two brains definitely made better decisions than one.