• Forum membership has its advantages....

ONX Off road

S of SMD

Ok Im a GPS Donkey Geek.. just Loaded ONX Off road. cant find any "User Guides for Donkeys" user guides. Can you make a map in Google Earth and load to ONX Off Road ?? Seems like this is the"new" GPS Standard.. for Off Road??

tlivingston

ADVERTISER
Ok Im a GPS Donkey Geek.. just Loaded ONX Off road. cant find any "User Guides for Donkeys" user guides. Can you make a map in Google Earth and load to ONX Off Road ?? Seems like this is the"new" GPS Standard.. for Off Road??
Hi!

1. You do have a user guide inside your app "inbox" I will add a video here showing how to view it.

2. Yes, you can create a KML or GPX file in Google Earth and then import it to onX Offroad using the desktop or laptop option. Here is how to import those files:

Let me know how else we can help. Thanks for using onX Offroad!

Here is another helpful video...

dhjeepgeek

What does this offer that Leadnav doesn't have. It appears to be more for hunting than desert racing. I am not trying to crap on the product,
I am interseted. I have been looking into Leadnav. If one is better than the other and the cost is comparable. It looks easy to load files. How about loading your own icons or notes.

S of SMD

I started using Lowrance when they 1st came out.. about 100 dog years ago.. Then when Leadnav came out I thought next great thing, spent thousands $$ on ipads, loaded there tracking apps on multiple units @ $100's per unit subscription etc but could NEVER get all to work together the same time, BUT it was and to me still a challenge to master if your an occasional user who only uses once every few months and not everyday, Just don't have time to take multi or all day classes to master . Leadnav is better today user friendly wise but it took a LONG time.. OX Off road real new but I think worth a try to see if they quickly and user friendly fix deficiencies. But millions use there Hunting app and easy to use. We shall see ..

MTPyle

Can I add a race gps file to the OnX app? And overlay on top of the open trails?

Wanting to go out and play in areas that are race course and open.

Mike

MTPyle

Answered my own question by actually reading this thread in more detail. Haha sorry

Mike

johndjmix

The thing about leadnav that always bugs me is when you touch the screen it comes out of tracking mode and "track forward, cauing the map to spin around. If there was only a "lock north" button on the screen it would be SO much easier.

Dont get me wrong I love leadnav, and use it in our chase vehicles. Heck, 2 years ago...baja 1000, leadnav is how i found a trail in the middle of baja sur to cross to the coast and beat the race vehcile there with my raptor. But it has its place.....great for chase, not so good in the race vehicle.

--John

tlivingston

ADVERTISER
What does this offer that Leadnav doesn't have. It appears to be more for hunting than desert racing. I am not trying to crap on the product,
I am interseted. I have been looking into Leadnav. If one is better than the other and the cost is comparable. It looks easy to load files. How about loading your own icons or notes.
Hey - thanks for your interest. Our big brother/sister is onX Hunt. We've been the #1 hunting app for 10 years. We are taking that mapping data and years of knowledge and built onX Offroad. We are 100% committed to the offroad community and building an app that helps all of us do fun stuff in the dirt!
  • onX Offroad is only $29.99 per year. Less than a tank of gas. :)
  • Easy to upload files, as shown in the video above.
  • We have a large set of pre-loaded icons that you can choose from for your waypoints.
  • You can also add notes to every waypoint that you add.

Big Whitey

Since I haven’t even looked at the app yet my only question is, does it talk to you like LeadNav does?

tlivingston

ADVERTISER
The thing about leadnav that always bugs me is when you touch the screen it comes out of tracking mode and "track forward, cauing the map to spin around. If there was only a "lock north" button on the screen it would be SO much easier.

Dont get me wrong I love leadnav, and use it in our chase vehicles. Heck, 2 years ago...baja 1000, leadnav is how i found a trail in the middle of baja sur to cross to the coast and beat the race vehcile there with my raptor. But it has its place.....great for chase, not so good in the race vehicle.

--John
Hi John,

I made a short video for you on our tracker view. If you tap the crosshairs (lower left) the screen will zoom to your location. Tap the crosshairs again, and it will light up the viewing cone. This shows where you are pointed.

You can also enable or disable pinch to rotate on our map in map settings.

Watch here:

MTPyle

OnX was amazing for our trip to pre run the SS300 course. We camped in the middle of the course and was able to use the app to navigate thru trails to get to different parts of the course.

We were riding dirt bikes and could not just do the entire course in 1 day. It took 3 days to run the entire course. We had the race course overlaid on the app so we could use open trials to get back to our camp from the course and then back again the next day.

Only issue we had was one trail that showed on the app as a open trial has not been used for 20 years. That made for a fun couple miles thru cactus and desert. Haha actually was a highlight.

Overall OnX was great.

Mike

tlivingston

ADVERTISER
OnX was amazing for our trip to pre-run the SS300 course. We camped in the middle of the course and was able to use the app to navigate thru trails to get to different parts of the course.

We were riding dirt bikes and could not just do the entire course in 1 day. It took 3 days to run the entire course. We had the racecourse overlaid on the app so we could use open trials to get back to our camp from the course and then back again the next day.

Only issue we had was one trail that showed on the app as an open trial has not been used for 20 years. That made for a fun couple miles thru cactus and desert. Haha actually was a highlight.

Overall OnX was great.

Hey Mike! I'm glad it went so well. Thanks so much for the positive feedback, I shared your post with my entire onX Offroad team. :) Please reach out if you have any questions. We're happy to help.

Anger Issues

Howdy, my GPS experiences in race trucks and chase trucks have all been limited to Lowrance products, in fact I prefer the older simple devices like the Baja 540c. Our budget does not allow for movie screen-size GPS, so these devices work well. This year, however, after seeing OnX hunting app, I dove into that wholeheartedly and found it absolutely invaluable... marking camp, truck location, trails I found, and even icons for animals, cabins, whatever. I look forward to the off-road app for just playing around this summer. I want to load the BOR Jackpot race and compare it (while testing) to the functionality of the Lowrances I own.

My question, however, is: What device can this be viewed on, which will withstand the abuse of a no-windshield race truck or side-by-side, and how would it be mounted? My small crappy cell phone is less than desirable, hell the screen is broken half the time. Even when chasing in the Raptor, I don't want to hold a device in my hand. I am guessing someone will say tablet... or get a better phone. You can't tell me people mount their $1000 i-phones in their SxS?

Either way I look forward to using it. Although the Lowrance units are completely sealed and durable, I am not drilling holes in my Raptor dash. Furthermore, they are expensive and not really user friendly.

Ken

y2kbaja

I've been happy using MotionX for the past 5 years, the last 3 have been without my GPS. I love it. Unfortunately MotionX isn't supported anymore. I'll have to give OnX a try once I can't use MotionX anymore.

MTPyle

Y2K,

I have used MotionX for years also. To be honest Motion is a better offroad GPS app overall. OnX strength is the open roads and the detail on where you can ride. But OnX does not have great gps features that are intuitive. For instance OnX shows area air temp on the screen and no speed. I could care less about the temp in the area but would love to have speed and more trip info. Maybe OnX has that option but it was not easy to find.

For me the OnX should have all the vehicle GPS stuff on the main screen standard. things like Heading, speed, trip, time, average speed, etc.. On the OnX I kept hitting the temp while trying to hit the button above it.

But the trial info on OnX is critical for offroad.

Mike

Kirk_Babbington

I still prefer my Lowrance unit and audio call outs from LeadNav in the race car.

I use Gaia GPS for everything outside of the race car.Customaizable display that can show things like current speed. Lots of map sets available. I think it is the best GPS app on the market.