• Forum membership has its advantages....

onX Offroad

tlivingston

ADVERTISER
Howdy, my GPS experiences in race trucks and chase trucks have all been limited to Lowrance products, in fact I prefer the older simple devices like the Baja 540c. Our budget does not allow for movie screen-size GPS, so these devices work well. This year, however, after seeing OnX hunting app, I dove into that wholeheartedly and found it absolutely invaluable... marking camp, truck location, trails I found, and even icons for animals, cabins, whatever. I look forward to the off-road app for just playing around this summer. I want to load the BOR Jackpot race and compare it (while testing) to the functionality of the Lowrances I own.

My question, however, is: What device can this be viewed on, which will withstand the abuse of a no-windshield race truck or side-by-side, and how would it be mounted? My small crappy cell phone is less than desirable, hell the screen is broken half the time. Even when chasing in the Raptor, I don't want to hold a device in my hand. I am guessing someone will say tablet... or get a better phone. You can't tell me people mount their $1000 i-phones in their SxS?

Either way I look forward to using it. Although the Lowrance units are completely sealed and durable, I am not drilling holes in my Raptor dash. Furthermore, they are expensive and not really user friendly.

Ken
Hi Ken, I hope you have a great experience trying out onX Offroad!

You can add the Jackpot race files to your account via the web map import feature. Here is the login link: onXmaps Web App
Here is a video on how to import:

You can download the onX Offroad app to any Apple or Android based phone or tablet. Just find the onX Offroad app (the black and white X icon) in the Apple app store or Google Play store.

Links directly to the app are here:
I recommend sturdy water and dustproof case for your phone or tablet. There are also lots of great mounting solutions out there. If you don't want to drill into the Raptor dash, have a look at Ram Mounts suction cup system.

tlivingston

ADVERTISER
Y2K,

I have used MotionX for years also. To be honest Motion is a better offroad GPS app overall. OnX strength is the open roads and the detail on where you can ride. But OnX does not have great gps features that are intuitive. For instance OnX shows area air temp on the screen and no speed. I could care less about the temp in the area but would love to have speed and more trip info. Maybe OnX has that option but it was not easy to find.

For me the OnX should have all the vehicle GPS stuff on the main screen standard. things like Heading, speed, trip, time, average speed, etc.. On the OnX I kept hitting the temp while trying to hit the button above it.

But the trial info on OnX is critical for offroad.

Mike
Hey Mike,
Thanks for the feedback! I have passed this along to our development team. We are constantly working on improving and adding new features. This feedback is great. Building this app by off-roaders for off-roaders! :)

We pull local weather which helps many of us for planning purposes. For instance, you're in Orange County CA and planning a Moab trip, you can see what weather to pack for.

In response to driving features...

Have you tried our tracking feature? Bottom right of the app.
Tracking:
  • Drops breadcrumbs as you drive. This feature can help you get home. Also, if you're pre-running this feature can be helpful later (at camp or home) to analyze different race line options.
  • It also shows the time of the trip (or lap).
  • Distance traveled
  • and Average speed.
For example look here at my blue recorded tracking and creative race lines at The Mint. ;)

Screen Shot 2020-03-27 at 12.10.03 PM.png

MTPyle

Cool. I didn’t try and use the tracker feature. I guess that seems pretty simple and logical now. Haha.

You would think for a guy that works in the tech field I would have looked at all the features. I am getting old and impatient, I just want everything to work the way I want automatically. Hehe.

I just zip tied my iPhone to my handle bars. I wish I had a mount that I could have removed the phone easy. I would have got a lot more good photos of our trip.

I will say the feature that shows which way you are headed is nice. It saved me from going too far down the wrong trail a couple times. Only thing was if I moved the map manually it would default to have that feature off, then I would have to hit the crosshair button to get the heading feature on. That’s where I kept hitting the weather button. I would yell out I don’t care about the f-n weather. I am outside I know what the weather is. I don’t think anyone could hear me though. Hehe.

Thanks for the tip on the track mode. If BITD cancels the official pre run we may go back and do it again. We didn’t get notes this time.

Mike

Speedster

Mike,
Get the Mob Armor cradle for your phone. Quick & easy to get phone in and out, yet will not fall out accidentally. Then, go on Ram Mounts and get the parts to attach directly to your bars via clamp, or numerous lever perch, brake master cover & triple clamp adapter mounts for a super clean look. Shop Motorcycle Phone Mounts | RAM® Mounts they have numerous pages of mounts, so don't just look at the first page before making a decision :)

dhjeepgeek

Which ever system I go with it will need a few things.
The current speed shown. Speed zones will require that. Not all organizations use tracking that give you your speed.
Easy to import race files.
Leave track of where I have been, Bread crums, I guess that's called My trails on my GPS. Basically be able to make my own trails.
Ability to have me as up. I don't want to have to figure right is left when heading down the screen. I don't care if the map moves. As we don't usually drive in close circles.
The ability to import Google earth or other satellite back ground.
It needs to be reasonably priced.
Which one of these does all that.
LeadNav, onX, Moab Armor. ???

Zambo

Hands down the biggest problem I have found using a tablet in a race car is that the screen isn't bright enough. Its usually compounded by the fact that the app developers use terrible colors that don't contrast well enough and aren't optimized for viewing in sunlight. As soon as any dust gets on the screen and you get even a bit of glare everything washes out. Then you got to wipe the dust off and it messes with your present position or some other setting since the whole screen is a touch screen.

There are so many things that could be done with an app to make a purpose built nav system from scratch, but so far every app is just a slightly different take on the same old nav idea that is really of limited use. Let me just give one example: In leadnav you can either zoom in and out with two buttons, or you can pinch and zoom. When you are bouncing around in a desert race car, good luck doing either of these methods without screwing something up. If the app was built so the majority of the screen was "dead" to touch input and the zoom buttons were 4x bigger, located at the bottom, and separated from each other by enough space, you could solve this problem. And I can add dozens of other similar problems to the list. All of them could be solved if the app was designed with a deliberate eye toward how the app will actually be used, but so far nobody has cracked the code. One day somebody will and racers will ask what took so long.

MTPyle

I don’t think we would ever use a IPad and an app to race with. I use an iPad with ForeFlight to fly with and it’s not reliable enough. They over heat and lock up. Stick to the purpose built GPS units for race day. iPads are great for pre run and trial rides.

Mike

Speedster

My experience and thoughts exactly. Ipad's touch screen also super sensitive to dust, humidity, water droplets etc. In the race truck on race day, we run it as backup and often when I look over at it, it's doing all sorts of stuff besides what I would expect/need it to do, because it thinks the combination of dust and moisture is fingers on the screen.
Nice tool for recon work though.

Zambo

So many possible uses for a mobile device that would work great in a race car. Trying to mimic a fishfinder isn't really one of them.

tlivingston

ADVERTISER
Which ever system I go with it will need a few things.
The current speed shown. Speed zones will require that. Not all organizations use tracking that give you your speed.
Easy to import race files.
Leave track of where I have been, Bread crums, I guess that's called My trails on my GPS. Basically be able to make my own trails.
Ability to have me as up. I don't want to have to figure right is left when heading down the screen. I don't care if the map moves. As we don't usually drive in close circles.
The ability to import Google earth or other satellite back ground.
It needs to be reasonably priced.
Which one of these does all that.
LeadNav, onX, Moab Armor. ???
Hey dhjeepgeek - to answer your questions on behalf of the onX Offroad app:

You can import files (KML or GPX) and then import to onX Offroad using the web map import. Here is the how to video for import.

Using onX Offroad, one you turn on tracker the breadcrumbs will drop and track your driving. Tracking will also provide the time, distance, and average speed. Here is a How-to video link

Here is another video illustrating the crosshairs (you) rotating and how the screen rotates. The blue cone shows where you are pointed. Top of the device is always pointed forward.

Yes, we have awesome satellite imagery. Have a look!

Yes, we are reasonably priced. Less than a tank of fuel! Start your free trial. No credit card. No strings attached. Download the onX Offroad App for free. After your 7-day free trial, subscribe for only $29.99/year.

tlivingston

ADVERTISER
I don’t think we would ever use a IPad and an app to race with. I use an iPad with ForeFlight to fly with and it’s not reliable enough. They over heat and lock up. Stick to the purpose built GPS units for race day. iPads are great for pre run and trial rides.

Mike
MTPyle - We have heard a few small craft pilots have tried onX Offroad for flying. Have you ever tried it as backup navigation?
With only onX Offroad running and plugged in, we have not had a tablet or phone overheat and lock up. I'd love to hear your feedback on that after a trial of onX Offroad.

tlivingston

ADVERTISER
Hands down the biggest problem I have found using a tablet in a race car is that the screen isn't bright enough. Its usually compounded by the fact that the app developers use terrible colors that don't contrast well enough and aren't optimized for viewing in sunlight. As soon as any dust gets on the screen and you get even a bit of glare everything washes out. Then you got to wipe the dust off and it messes with your present position or some other setting since the whole screen is a touch screen.

There are so many things that could be done with an app to make a purpose built nav system from scratch, but so far every app is just a slightly different take on the same old nav idea that is really of limited use. Let me just give one example: In leadnav you can either zoom in and out with two buttons, or you can pinch and zoom. When you are bouncing around in a desert race car, good luck doing either of these methods without screwing something up. If the app was built so the majority of the screen was "dead" to touch input and the zoom buttons were 4x bigger, located at the bottom, and separated from each other by enough space, you could solve this problem. And I can add dozens of other similar problems to the list. All of them could be solved if the app was designed with a deliberate eye toward how the app will actually be used, but so far nobody has cracked the code. One day somebody will and racers will ask what took so long.
Hi Zambo,

Check out the different map view options on onX Offroad. It's easy to toggle between views of topographic maps, satellite imagery, and a hybrid of both satellite and topo. Here is a how-to video:

MTPyle

MTPyle - We have heard a few small craft pilots have tried onX Offroad for flying. Have you ever tried it as backup navigation?
With only onX Offroad running and plugged in, we have not had a tablet or phone overheat and lock up. I'd love to hear your feedback on that after a trial of onX Offroad.

I think I have plenty of backups for backups. Hehe I also have Garmin Pilot app to backup Foreflight.

Mike
IMG_0645.jpeg

Jerry Zaiden

I have been using the ONX app now for a few weeks and so far so good. I am really digging it for the trails and roads that are already loaded in it. Very easy to use for sure. So far I have used it with my Raptor exploring the local deserts. I also just used it ridding my motorcycle around Cougar Buttes this past weekend.

In this screen capture I added a way point "Camp" very simple to do. As you can see the blue dot was where I was at the time of the screen capture. This is just a simple way to use the app for for basic info with imagery to see where I am at a given time. I know this area well so I was not to concerned with being prepared. But when I go exploring I can add all kinds of overlay data.

The really cool feature of this app for overlanding, exploring, etc is the fact it shows open trails and roads or closed trails and roads. You can also show trails and roads for Dirt bike, 50" trails, 4x4 trails, or full roads. I highley recomend this app for general off-road Moto, SXS, or 4X4 use.

EDIT ** I also like the weather overlay data and the fact you can touch the screen for the info of a certain area.

Attachments

osborne

I will admit I am electronically challenged. I have tried backcountry navigator, avenza and a couple others. I can never get a background map to stay working. The tracks I load are there but background maps always disappear. I tried on x today. No luck. After spending hours trying to make tracks show on map, my wife figures out the trial version wont even do that. Bought the app. Loaded everything in my tablet. Took off, had to fuss with it to get it to follow us, then every time u touch the screen it goes back to not turning when you do. Had topo and sat background that i downloaded, but neither show any of the other trails as we pass them. As i said Im not good with this stuff, but I am beyond frustrated with this. Im sure im missing a couple key steps.

tlivingston

ADVERTISER
I will admit I am electronically challenged. I have tried backcountry navigator, avenza and a couple others. I can never get a background map to stay working. The tracks I load are there but background maps always disappear. I tried on x today. No luck. After spending hours trying to make tracks show on map, my wife figures out the trial version wont even do that. Bought the app. Loaded everything in my tablet. Took off, had to fuss with it to get it to follow us, then every time u touch the screen it goes back to not turning when you do. Had topo and sat background that i downloaded, but neither show any of the other trails as we pass them. As i said Im not good with this stuff, but I am beyond frustrated with this. Im sure im missing a couple key steps.
Hi Osborne,

Thanks for giving onX Offroad a try. Let's see if I can help you out by answering a few of your questions...
  1. "Turn on the headlights" by tapping the location crosshairs button twice. The app will always point forward to the top of your phone or tablet showing the direction that you are moving. Now, if you tap the map somewhere else or move the map, the "headlights" will turn off. This allows you to move your map and find something. Simply tap the location crosshairs button twice to turn on the directional "headlights" again. I'll add a short how: to video below.
  2. Above you mentioned "neither show any of the other trails as we pass them" As you drive, you should see on the map open trails and roads as you drive along on either satellite, topo or hybrid maps.
  3. Did you download offline maps before you left cell service?
  4. We're here to support you! We're here in Montana if you have any other questions you can always call our support line: (406) 545-2055

sredish

3 needs in a mobile (ipad style) nav app: 1) ability to toggle and/or layer tracks and waypoints however you prefer to organize them, 2) the ability to measure distances via a ruler or line and 3) buttons big enough to hit while moving in a vehicle w/o hitting something else and screwing it all up.

I've also been a user of MotionX for the past 8 years, since it first came out. I still run it and use it on a first gen ipad. I have so many thousands of miles logged with it, waypoints and everything south of the border (Baja and Sonora) built into it like a diary of my travels. Due to not being supported, I've been trying to migrate but it's hard to find one app that does what it does without either adding extra stuff or doing it more difficult. All my waypoints and tracks get backed up to Dropbox. I have all of baja save offline so I can continue to use it as I wish, the problem is, it's on a first gen ipad and the cables are getting hard to find and wear out easy.

Things I like about MotionX is it's super easy to add waypoints on the fly (literally a quick double click), it has a really easy to deploy ruler which I find hugely invaluable in the back country when locating and referencing things, calculating time to certain things and identifying your location to others in regards to distance, the layer and toggle ability of waypoints and tracks is perfect, with MotionX it's super quick and easy to get the info you want and nothing else and I like how overall simple it is, big buttons, easy to use, what you need without all the extra crap.

I'm also a pretty fluent user of LeadNav. For me personally, I've mainly kept it as a backup with sat views and the race course on it in case I needed it, but rarely do. I think it's a little feature rich to use in a chase, support or recon rig; great for the race car which we've used a number of times in that regard.

So, do I go to onX or Gaia. I talked in detail with the onX guys at the Mint. Seems like a pretty good package. I also started trying Gaia. I haven't done the trial on onX but I started playing with Gaia and intended on feeling it out at Norra. One of the problems with Gaia is all the buttons are small, hard to hit and finicky; not much of a problem when you're walking or still but moving in a vehicle bouncing down dirt roads, this can be a trying task. I feel once you have Gaia setup to start rolling, it should work pretty good just try to keep the button pushing to a minimum while on the move.

In re to Gaia: Adding waypoints w/ MotionX, you can double tap a spot and throw a waypoint in, move it around and save super simple; with Gaia, you have to hold your finger on the spot you want to add. If you move your finger while doing this, it'll just move the map, so you can imagine the difficulty in trying to add a waypoint on the move; nearly impossible. The measuring tool technically doesn't exist but you can use the "area" tool to grab a measurement but kinda cumbersome on the fly. Gaia also has a lot of smaller details in the toolbar when all I'd really like is a big speedo readout and maybe a bearing. I like that Gaia will stay in the orientation you want once you set it. I like that you can super quickly toggle topo and sat and whatever you've dowloaded. I like that you can toggle on and off which routes and waypoints you want or don't want at your leisure. You may not want all those Baja Mission waypoints on while following race tracks but they're there if you want em. In re to Gaia, the worst thing overall is how to add to the library of waypoints and tracks. Maybe I haven't figured it out fully, but the interface on the browser is super cumbersome, no drag and drop into the folder you want; you have to upload, then add to folder, but if you do it wrong, you end up with two copies, they get split up and it's really hard for me to see the folder contents in a browser. I found it easier to upload on the browser then go to the ipad to move them where I want; absolutely horrible file / folder setup, like almost made me quit using it. But, overall Gaia interacts for the most part how I'd expect MotionX to, just a little differently.

I haven't tried onX but I'd like to. Main thing is all the maps have to be downloaded and I don't have enough ipads to put them all on and I also don't have enough storage on my ipad air to put both on and download the offlines i need. I considered just staying with LeadNav but at the annual fee I need to keep it where I want it, I can do Gaia or onX and accomplish the same in my personal rig. onX seems to focus a lot on national forests and parks so I think that's what pushed me to Gaia while I realize the mapping is generic and I'm sure it'd do what I want. I'm just not sure how the file folder setup is on onX, does it have a ruler and can you toggle waypoints.

(Sorry for the long post, this is an important subject for me)