• Forum membership has its advantages....

onX Offroad

Kirk_Babbington

Hi Zambo,

Check out the different map view options on onX Offroad. It's easy to toggle between views of topographic maps, satellite imagery, and a hybrid of both satellite and topo. Here is a how-to video:

The more I dig into your app, the more I like it. I hope your team keeps adding on features that support what we do, and it sounds like you are invested in doing so, this could end up being the only GPS app I use.

tlivingston

ADVERTISER
The more I dig into your app, the more I like it. I hope your team keeps adding on features that support what we do, and it sounds like you are invested in doing so, this could end up being the only GPS app I use.
Thank you Kirk! We think it's a pretty great product too! We continue to working hard to add more trails, map info, and awesome app features/tools. I think onX Offroad works great now but also excited for the future.

Fifty

I cant wait to try this out when I get my truck back. A while ago I was looking at lead nav (I have to spend wisely and a ipad could be used for the kids when not on the trail, where as a gps lowrance unit sits and collects dust)

Having been in the .mil and Leo, played with all the secret squirrel types, ended up almost 1 and 3/4 inches shorter than when I started and have more titanium in my body than on my truck... The seal team delta six operator rambo attitude that they had was just so off putting. I couldnt stand reading their website for details and when I called their company (a few times because I am a slow learner with computer stuff) I wanted to reach through the phone and slap the person and asked if they could reduce the act. "what act?"

Anyways, this looks like a product/service I could actually enjoy using. Are there suggested hardware recommendations, ipad vs android tablet and tablet vs laptop etc? processing power and memory of those units?

Time to start reading up and watching how to videos...and then look for a mount for the truck. Harris makes a mount that swings in front of the dash for the border patrol. Then I just need to bolt a mount for whatever computer device to the harris mount.

MTPyle

If you get an iPad (which personally I think is best) make sure you get one with internal GPS. We use one with cell feature and that has all the bells and whistles including Barometric sensor so show density altitude.

We also use a Dual gps Dual GPS This connects bluetooth to the iPad and has much better GPS accuracy than the internal GPS. But again I like to have a iPad with GPS as you cant always use the portable Bluetooth GPS. We use the Dual for our leadnav also.

I used the OnX on my iPhone X and it worked pretty well. It got some bad gps info every once in awhile but it was mostly when we would go in and out of cell coverage so the phone was freaking out.

Mike

tlivingston

ADVERTISER
3 needs in a mobile (ipad style) nav app: 1) ability to toggle and/or layer tracks and waypoints however you prefer to organize them, 2) the ability to measure distances via a ruler or line and 3) buttons big enough to hit while moving in a vehicle w/o hitting something else and screwing it all up.

I've also been a user of MotionX for the past 8 years, since it first came out. I still run it and use it on a first gen ipad. I have so many thousands of miles logged with it, waypoints and everything south of the border (Baja and Sonora) built into it like a diary of my travels. Due to not being supported, I've been trying to migrate but it's hard to find one app that does what it does without either adding extra stuff or doing it more difficult. All my waypoints and tracks get backed up to Dropbox. I have all of baja save offline so I can continue to use it as I wish, the problem is, it's on a first gen ipad and the cables are getting hard to find and wear out easy.

Things I like about MotionX is it's super easy to add waypoints on the fly (literally a quick double click), it has a really easy to deploy ruler which I find hugely invaluable in the back country when locating and referencing things, calculating time to certain things and identifying your location to others in regards to distance, the layer and toggle ability of waypoints and tracks is perfect, with MotionX it's super quick and easy to get the info you want and nothing else and I like how overall simple it is, big buttons, easy to use, what you need without all the extra crap.

I'm also a pretty fluent user of LeadNav. For me personally, I've mainly kept it as a backup with sat views and the race course on it in case I needed it, but rarely do. I think it's a little feature rich to use in a chase, support or recon rig; great for the race car which we've used a number of times in that regard.

So, do I go to onX or Gaia. I talked in detail with the onX guys at the Mint. Seems like a pretty good package. I also started trying Gaia. I haven't done the trial on onX but I started playing with Gaia and intended on feeling it out at Norra. One of the problems with Gaia is all the buttons are small, hard to hit and finicky; not much of a problem when you're walking or still but moving in a vehicle bouncing down dirt roads, this can be a trying task. I feel once you have Gaia setup to start rolling, it should work pretty good just try to keep the button pushing to a minimum while on the move.

In re to Gaia: Adding waypoints w/ MotionX, you can double tap a spot and throw a waypoint in, move it around and save super simple; with Gaia, you have to hold your finger on the spot you want to add. If you move your finger while doing this, it'll just move the map, so you can imagine the difficulty in trying to add a waypoint on the move; nearly impossible. The measuring tool technically doesn't exist but you can use the "area" tool to grab a measurement but kinda cumbersome on the fly. Gaia also has a lot of smaller details in the toolbar when all I'd really like is a big speedo readout and maybe a bearing. I like that Gaia will stay in the orientation you want once you set it. I like that you can super quickly toggle topo and sat and whatever you've dowloaded. I like that you can toggle on and off which routes and waypoints you want or don't want at your leisure. You may not want all those Baja Mission waypoints on while following race tracks but they're there if you want em. In re to Gaia, the worst thing overall is how to add to the library of waypoints and tracks. Maybe I haven't figured it out fully, but the interface on the browser is super cumbersome, no drag and drop into the folder you want; you have to upload, then add to folder, but if you do it wrong, you end up with two copies, they get split up and it's really hard for me to see the folder contents in a browser. I found it easier to upload on the browser then go to the ipad to move them where I want; absolutely horrible file / folder setup, like almost made me quit using it. But, overall Gaia interacts for the most part how I'd expect MotionX to, just a little differently.

I haven't tried onX but I'd like to. Main thing is all the maps have to be downloaded and I don't have enough ipads to put them all on and I also don't have enough storage on my ipad air to put both on and download the offlines i need. I considered just staying with LeadNav but at the annual fee I need to keep it where I want it, I can do Gaia or onX and accomplish the same in my personal rig. onX seems to focus a lot on national forests and parks so I think that's what pushed me to Gaia while I realize the mapping is generic and I'm sure it'd do what I want. I'm just not sure how the file folder setup is on onX, does it have a ruler and can you toggle waypoints.

(Sorry for the long post, this is an important subject for me)
Hi sredish,

I think you will find many of the features you appreciate about the other products mentioned are available with onX Offroad. You can toggle between three basemaps with a single tap (see video above), use the Line Distance Tool (ruler) to measure between points, import waypoints as .kml or .gpx files from other apps and devices easily. With Offroad still being in its infancy, there are features and tweaks to come with the goal of creating a stable, easy to use platform that provides the necessary information without the fluff that will clutter the experience. Give onX Offroad a try and provide any wants or needs that could improve your navigating or planning use to our support team.

oneleglance

Hi sredish,

I think you will find many of the features you appreciate about the other products mentioned are available with onX Offroad. You can toggle between three basemaps with a single tap (see video above), use the Line Distance Tool (ruler) to measure between points, import waypoints as .kml or .gpx files from other apps and devices easily. With Offroad still being in its infancy, there are features and tweaks to come with the goal of creating a stable, easy to use platform that provides the necessary information without the fluff that will clutter the experience. Give onX Offroad a try and provide any wants or needs that could improve your navigating or planning use to our support team.
So I downloaded onX to my phone to play with and will load on my Android headunit in the chase rig.
It looks like I need medium resolution maps to get the info I want but is it really only 10 miles wide per download? That would mean 20-30 dowloads per trip min? The 100 mile low res just doesn't have enough detail.

When will Baja maps be aval? Can we get all of Baja without going 10 mile squares at a time?

It would help to NOT have the lower buttons next to each other, when bouncing in a vehicle it is hard enough to press the right button, there are 4 corners maybe make use of them all...and bigger buttons.

Picking trails by vehicle is good, but it would be nice to filter by difficulty also, chase rigs can't go on just any trail.

More thoughts to come as I play with it.

tlivingston

ADVERTISER
So I downloaded onX to my phone to play with and will load on my Android headunit in the chase rig.
It looks like I need medium resolution maps to get the info I want but is it really only 10 miles wide per download? That would mean 20-30 dowloads per trip min? The 100 mile low res just doesn't have enough detail.

When will Baja maps be aval? Can we get all of Baja without going 10 mile squares at a time?

It would help to NOT have the lower buttons next to each other, when bouncing in a vehicle it is hard enough to press the right button, there are 4 corners maybe make use of them all...and bigger buttons.

Picking trails by vehicle is good, but it would be nice to filter by difficulty also, chase rigs can't go on just any trail.

More thoughts to come as I play with it.

Hi oneleglance, Thanks so much for all of your feedback and suggestions! We really appreciate all of them. I have forward these along to our development team.

Currently, the 10mile medium resolution is my personal favorite option for downloading info. I usually download larger low rez 100mile and then also tile medium resolution 10mile downloads. We know that the 10mile is a bit limiting and time-consuming. Our team is working to make a new solution!

Technically Baja is available right now. But it's not 100% complete. Our goal is to officially announce onX Offroad in Baja this Fall. Preferably before the San Felipe 250.
Let me know if you have any other questions. Thanks, Ted

M_Solms

Hi oneleglance, Thanks so much for all of your feedback and suggestions! We really appreciate all of them. I have forward these along to our development team.

Currently, the 10mile medium resolution is my personal favorite option for downloading info. I usually download larger low rez 100mile and then also tile medium resolution 10mile downloads. We know that the 10mile is a bit limiting and time-consuming. Our team is working to make a new solution!

Technically Baja is available right now. But it's not 100% complete. Our goal is to officially announce onX Offroad in Baja this Fall. Preferably before the San Felipe 250.
Let me know if you have any other questions. Thanks, Ted
It would be nice if there was a way to add all the download areas and leave it while they download automatically. Maybe a checker board overlay to cover the area you want and start the download and it downloads all the squares without manually selecting them.

YumaJustin

It would be nice if there was a way to add all the download areas and leave it while they download automatically. Maybe a checker board overlay to cover the area you want and start the download and it downloads all the squares without manually selecting them.
Can you make the upload feature allow larger files? I use LeadNav and nearly all collections are bigger then 2MB. I can do it with individual routes but that can take awhile with just one collection let alone 20-30.

CNEEL89

I have been using OnX Hunt for a while now, and live the app. I’m currently diving into Offroad, and so far really like it. I just have a couple of things.

I like using my lowrance for nav, and have been using google earth to find waypoints and plan routes since the lowrance was on a kayak! I have a whole bunch of waypoints and trails, that don’t store in a fashion that’s very well organized in OnX. Since I have so many files already in google earth, and you’re able to see different waypoints and images in the individual apps, I’ve been using OnX lately to plan routes, then putting them into earth so that they go with my existing waypoints for any given area and I can check the route for additional points of interest or in greater detail.

the issues I have are: while it is very convenient to use my iPad or phone to make lines, it really sucks when I lock my iPad or switch apps and the whole line goes away. Very frustrating having to start all over, and some of those trails take a while to make as I’m sure you’re well aware. The other issue is that, I color code my trails to match all of my existing files in earth, but when converting to kml it changes all lines to white, which is frustrating, maybe I’m ocd.

At any rate, I live the app for planning and sharing with friends, and I’ll definitely continue to use it as such, and as a back up gps on trail, but it sure would be nice if these couple of things could be taken into consideration. It’s also a possibility that I have no idea what I’m doing (wouldn’t be the first time), and that there’s a quick fix!

Either way, keep up the good work!
Thanks