Op-ed on why Rally America should rig the XGames...

I wonder what makes you say that. Not being a smartass, I am just honestly wondering what you mean by Ford's win being the best thing to happen to rally in America.

I would say that Max Attack! is the best thing in America for rally, but that's my opinion.

Eli

spalind

I wonder what makes you say that. Not being a smartass, I am just honestly wondering what you mean by Ford's win being the best thing to happen to rally in America.

I would say that Max Attack! is the best thing in America for rally, but that's my opinion.

Eli
Well...anything that might bring true competition to the top end of Rally America races is a good thing in my opinion...It cannot continue to be a Subaru owned/operated/managed advertising entity and be regarded as a legitimate competitive series...If Subaru wants its own series it should go out and create one as VW did with its Jetta TDI series...

On a more grassroots level, I completely agree with you. Max Attack is a great series and really works well to promote the 2wd, privateer efforts....

Well...anything that might bring true competition to the top end of Rally America races is a good thing in my opinion...It cannot continue to be a Subaru owned/operated/managed advertising entity and be regarded as a legitimate competitive series...If Subaru wants its own series it should go out and create one as VW did with its Jetta TDI series...

On a more grassroots level, I completely agree with you. Max Attack is a great series and really works well to promote the 2wd, privateer efforts....

Thanks for the post. Agree to disagree. :D

Subaru has not 'bought' Rallying in America at all and Rally America is certainly NOT bought/operated/managed by Subaru- they are a sponsor and they have contingency funds. The fact they are typically up top is a result not only of their excellent cars, but also that they have a factory rally team and no one else currently does.

That being said, there is plenty of competition in the American series. There are tons of non-Subaru guys that throw it down with the Factory Subaru team with good results at every event. ACP, Tanner (this year), all the polish guys and all the Irish guys in Mitsubishis - to name a few. And hell, you have John Lane in a 30-year old Volvo handing people their ass on a regular basis - he won Wild West Rally overall last year.

I dont fault Subaru for sponsoring and offering contingency in Rally America/NASA events - Mitsu also used to do the same as did Hyundai. Mitsu actually still does this in Canada.

Eli

spalind

Thanks for the post. Agree to disagree. :D

Subaru has not 'bought' Rallying in America at all and Rally America is certainly NOT bought/operated/managed by Subaru- they are a sponsor and they have contingency funds. The fact they are typically up top is a result not only of their excellent cars, but also that they have a factory rally team and no one else currently does.

That being said, there is plenty of competition in the American series. There are tons of non-Subaru guys that throw it down with the Factory Subaru team with good results at every event. ACP, Tanner (this year), all the polish guys and all the Irish guys in Mitsubishis - to name a few. And hell, you have John Lane in a 30-year old Volvo handing people their ass on a regular basis - he won Wild West Rally overall last year.

I dont fault Subaru for sponsoring and offering contingency in Rally America/NASA events - Mitsu also used to do the same as did Hyundai. Mitsu actually still does this in Canada.

Eli
Good to have someone to talk Rally with here...OK...I was using a bit of hyperbole when I said that Subaru "owned" Rally America...technically they don't...BUT RA's East Coast office is located in the same office building, in east middle of nowhere Vermont, as Vermont Sports Car, Subaru has poured TONS of cash into their factory teams and as a sponsor of the series in general. Without Subaru's cash support of the factory teams and their cash support of the series in general, RA would be hurting big time and certainly wouldn't have scored its appearance in the Xgames...

Now on to the competitors...ACP, Foust and L'Estage are non-factors...as well as they occasionally run, non of them are running the full series schedule, neither is Bill Bacon and his Mitsu. I'm not sure about Andi Mancin and others but given their lack of factory support it might not be likely--therefore...the ONLY real competitors for the annual championship are the factory efforts of Block and Pastrana. Is ALL of this Subaru's fault?? No...but they shouldn't act like its a level playing field and that they have come out on top because they have the better drivers and equipment either...

Yes, good to talk rally on here, I agree.

But the competitors that are not Subaru factory drivers are not 'also rans'. ACP, Tanner, and Mancin are 1-3 pts off KB and ACP was in the lead earlier this year, IIRC. Certainly TP and KB are NOT in the position ever to just walk away with the championship, nor have they ever been. I point to the Rockstar effort over the last 3 years.

Rallying would not end if Subaru pulled out, which is what your post implies. Rallying has been around a long time, has withstood plenty of years without factory sponsors, and there is a relatively healthy scene today (I point to NASA which has no such factory infusions of sponsorship..).

As for the XGames comment - I'll dive into that another time. :)

spalind

Yes, good to talk rally on here, I agree.

But the competitors that are not Subaru factory drivers are not 'also rans'. ACP, Tanner, and Mancin are 1-3 pts off KB and ACP was in the lead earlier this year, IIRC. Certainly TP and KB are NOT in the position ever to just walk away with the championship, nor have they ever been. I point to the Rockstar effort over the last 3 years.

Rallying would not end if Subaru pulled out, which is what your post implies. Rallying has been around a long time, has withstood plenty of years without factory sponsors, and there is a relatively healthy scene today (I point to NASA which has no such factory infusions of sponsorship..).

As for the XGames comment - I'll dive into that another time. :)
No...no...certainly Rally would not end if Subaru pulled out...Rally America though?? My point is more that RA has hitched itself to one sole manufacturer along with the majority of its top drivers...its always dangerous when you put all your eggs in one basket...