• Forum membership has its advantages....

Opened my Fortin and This is what I saw.

masterfabr

Fortin 1.jpg
Fortin2.jpg
Fortin3.jpg
Fortin4 fallout.jpg
Fortin5.jpg
Redline Heavy Shockproof. Trans sat for 4 years in a climate controlled shop all that time. Anyone familiar with this?
Fortin 1.jpg
Fortin2.jpg

masterfabr

Water contamination?
Not a chance,IMO.Zero sign of rust anywhere and after 4 years it would have separated out,at least I'd think so. One person told me it would have returned to original consistency if I'd have not opened it and just ran it. I don't have a clue if that would have been the case tho.

GEARDOC

Water contamination is the only thing that causes Redline to gel up. The redline will prevent rust from forming. The water entered the trans before storage. The usual cause is fording a water crossing and having the vent line below the water. The hot trans entering the water and rapidly cooling creates a vacuum and pulls the water into it. The fact that the oil is clumpy means the water was in the trans and running for a while. Otherwise it would just be oil and water separated. Trust me. I've seen this before. Do not run the trans without removing the contaminated oil and replacing with fresh. Also reroute your vent line so it is above any possible water crossing height.

GEARDOC

P.S. It will not return to normal consistency.

43mod

if its all looking good and no wear from lube issues I would be very happy. Water would have turned it towards white/ pink and have rust issues.

masterfabr

In no way will I argue with geardoc but I do have a couple questions. From redlines site,Heavy Shockproof is non soluble in water. It also shows HSP having a lower specific gravity than water. My question is how water could be kept in suspension for over 4 years and not have settled out to the bottom of the case.Should not the redline been floating on the water since it is not water soluble by then? Just looking for how that can be. What is your recommendation for flushing out the gear stack area of the box? I have,of course removed all traces of it from the r&p/differential area already.

GEARDOC

I don't know the chemical properties of the redline and the HSP etc. I just know what I see. As for flushing it, I would try putting in some petroleum based gear lube of a lower viscosity. Like 75-90. Jack the rear of the car up so the rear wheels are off the ground. Run the car in gear for a few minutes. Drain the oil and see what comes out. Do this a few times. If the sludge doesn't clear out, it might be necessary to bring it in so we can tear it down and clean it out.

masterfabr

I'll do that . Thanks,as always, for your info. Very much appreciated. One last question,what's the approx lube capacity of the FRS5?

GEARDOC

6-6.5 qts. Plus the oil cooler capacity. The cooler will probably be the most difficult to clear.

masterfabr

redline definitely confirmed geardocs assessment. They also said that separation and gelling can occur without moisture ,with time. Thanks geardoc!