• Forum membership has its advantages....

Operable doors in any race series?

TwistyItch

I'm only dreaming at this stage, but would like to get a UTV and use it for fun and maybe once in a while enter a race. From what I have been able to tell, operable doors are not allowed in most or all race series and a lot of race cages eliminate that possibility. Are there any race series that allow operable doors to exist at all even if fixed closed with pins. etc? NORRA seems to be an exception but that is a rally race so I guess it's understandable.

When I buy a UTV, my wife will want to drive that for fun and I can't image her pleased about climbing in and out of the window all the time. So is it possible to have operable doors but use a bolt-on side panel that prevents the doors from being operable if I race the UTV? Or is there a different solution?

BITD, NORRA, SCORE are the primary concerns for me.

Thanks for the help.

So is it possible to have operable doors but use a bolt-on side panel that prevents the doors from being operable if I race the UTV? Or is there a different solution?
I'm pretty sure you can't do that. You would need a welded solution. Having a "dual sport" UTV (meaning you can race it and play in it) is not to difficult to do but your wife is gonna have to climb over stuff to get into it. You should probably come to a UTV race and see the vehicles you will be racing against. These are all purpose built for racing. It might make you rethink what you want to do. Your going to spend a lot to just make your ride race legal and kill a lot of the recreational trail rider comforts to do so.

from the BITD rulebook

All rollcages must be designed and constructed with one front vertical hoop, one rear vertical hoop, two interconnecting top bars, two rear down braces, one diagonal brace and all necessary gussets. The two top interconnecting bars must be placed as far to the outside of the top part of the front and rear hoops as possible. Rear down braces and diagonal brace must angle a minimum of 30 degrees from vertical. At the bottom of the diagonal brace there must be a cross member of the same tubing material and dimensions as the hoop. All rollcage components (hoops, braces, gussets, etc.) must have a minimum of 3-inch clearance from the component to the vehicle occupant’s helmets when occupants are seated in their normal riding positions. All portions of the roll bar or bracing that might come into contact with the vehicle occupant’s helmets must be padded. All portions of the roll bar or bracing that might come into contact with the vehicle occupant’s helmets must be padded. Rollcages must be securely mounted to the frame or body. All intersecting points must be gusseted and braced. Cab or body mounted rollcages must be bolted through the body structure and be attached by use of a minimum two 0.1875-inch thick doubler plates (one on each side of body structure). Bolts and nuts must be at least 0.375-inch-diameter s.a.e. Grade 8 or equivalent aircraft quality. Welding of cab or body mounted rollcages to body structure is strictly prohibited. Rollcage terminal ends must be attached to a frame or body member that will support maximum impact and not shear or allow more than 1.5 inches of movement in the cage terminal end. All vehicles including those with stock steel doors must have at least one side bar on each side of vehicle that will protect occupants from side impact. The side bars must be of the same tubing material and dimensions as the rest of the rollcage. The side bars must be as close to parallel to the ground as possible, be located to provide maximum protection to the occupants, and be securely welded to the front and rear hoops. The location of the sidebars must not cause difficulty in entering or exiting the vehicle. Gussets constructed of 0.125-inch x 3-inch x 3-inch flat-plate or split, formed and welded corner- Definitions and General Information 26 tubing, or tubing-gussets made of the same material and thickness as the rollcage may be used. Gussets must be installed at all major intersections, including diagonal and rear down braces, where single weld fractures can affect occupants’ safety. In the stock classes (8100) on vehicles with rear leaf spring suspension you may add a plate to the front leaf spring outboard mounted hanger if a main roll cage mount is terminated at that point. The plate may only be place in the “V” of the hanger and be welded in place to the hanger only. The plate itself may not attach directly to the frame of the vehicle except for the roll cage attachment bolt that passes through the plate, the roll cage terminal end and the frame. The plate may only be large enough to allow for a good brace for the roll cage mount. Plate design and installation must meet with Best In The Desert Racing Association approval. The rear leaf spring hanger of the rear leaf spring may have a kicker bar attached to the flat horizontal portion of the hanger and extend to the main rollcage down brace. The main rollcage cannot directly mount to the rear hanger. The design of kicker bar must be such that you can unbolt it from the hanger. Kicker design must meet with Best In The Desert Racing Association approval. In the stock classes (8100) you may attach a main roll cage mount to the top of the front spring

TwistyItch

Thanks Dan200 and Ruckus. Dan200 your underlining the relevant section makes it pretty clear for me and I appreciate both your input. As for the actual machine, I spend a lot of time in the classifieds here and would buy something already set up - I guess I was hoping that I could modify the race cage and re-skin the car.

Wifey is a sport and even if she had to climb in and out, she'd be OK. I'm not (yet) as serious as you guys about it, but I gotta dream and I love offroad racing and the offroad racing community. I hope to make the Pahrump race, but I always go to the Baja 1000 races.

Thank you both for your input.

NIKAL

While not close to you. D38 which races in Plaster City, CA has several UTV classes. Factory doors are allowed in several classes as are factory cages in the sportsman class.

I have fully functioning OEM doors with lower inserts on my X3. I have also installed removable door bars made from 1.75 .095 DOM. When I am playing and the Fiance is in the car, the doors function and the bars are out. When it comes time to race, the bars go in and the doors bolt shut.

I'm pretty sure you can't do that. You would need a welded solution. Having a "dual sport" UTV (meaning you can race it and play in it) is not to difficult to do but your wife is gonna have to climb over stuff to get into it. You should probably come to a UTV race and see the vehicles you will be racing against. These are all purpose built for racing. It might make you rethink what you want to do. Your going to spend a lot to just make your ride race legal and kill a lot of the recreational trail rider comforts to do so.

from the BITD rulebook

All rollcages must be designed and constructed with one front vertical hoop, one rear vertical hoop, two interconnecting top bars, two rear down braces, one diagonal brace and all necessary gussets. The two top interconnecting bars must be placed as far to the outside of the top part of the front and rear hoops as possible. Rear down braces and diagonal brace must angle a minimum of 30 degrees from vertical. At the bottom of the diagonal brace there must be a cross member of the same tubing material and dimensions as the hoop. All rollcage components (hoops, braces, gussets, etc.) must have a minimum of 3-inch clearance from the component to the vehicle occupant’s helmets when occupants are seated in their normal riding positions. All portions of the roll bar or bracing that might come into contact with the vehicle occupant’s helmets must be padded. All portions of the roll bar or bracing that might come into contact with the vehicle occupant’s helmets must be padded. Rollcages must be securely mounted to the frame or body. All intersecting points must be gusseted and braced. Cab or body mounted rollcages must be bolted through the body structure and be attached by use of a minimum two 0.1875-inch thick doubler plates (one on each side of body structure). Bolts and nuts must be at least 0.375-inch-diameter s.a.e. Grade 8 or equivalent aircraft quality. Welding of cab or body mounted rollcages to body structure is strictly prohibited. Rollcage terminal ends must be attached to a frame or body member that will support maximum impact and not shear or allow more than 1.5 inches of movement in the cage terminal end. All vehicles including those with stock steel doors must have at least one side bar on each side of vehicle that will protect occupants from side impact. The side bars must be of the same tubing material and dimensions as the rest of the rollcage. The side bars must be as close to parallel to the ground as possible, be located to provide maximum protection to the occupants, and be securely welded to the front and rear hoops. The location of the sidebars must not cause difficulty in entering or exiting the vehicle. Gussets constructed of 0.125-inch x 3-inch x 3-inch flat-plate or split, formed and welded corner- Definitions and General Information 26 tubing, or tubing-gussets made of the same material and thickness as the rollcage may be used. Gussets must be installed at all major intersections, including diagonal and rear down braces, where single weld fractures can affect occupants’ safety. In the stock classes (8100) on vehicles with rear leaf spring suspension you may add a plate to the front leaf spring outboard mounted hanger if a main roll cage mount is terminated at that point. The plate may only be place in the “V” of the hanger and be welded in place to the hanger only. The plate itself may not attach directly to the frame of the vehicle except for the roll cage attachment bolt that passes through the plate, the roll cage terminal end and the frame. The plate may only be large enough to allow for a good brace for the roll cage mount. Plate design and installation must meet with Best In The Desert Racing Association approval. The rear leaf spring hanger of the rear leaf spring may have a kicker bar attached to the flat horizontal portion of the hanger and extend to the main rollcage down brace. The main rollcage cannot directly mount to the rear hanger. The design of kicker bar must be such that you can unbolt it from the hanger. Kicker design must meet with Best In The Desert Racing Association approval. In the stock classes (8100) you may attach a main roll cage mount to the top of the front spring
Per the BITD rulebook:

"The Rally Sportsman UTV can only race at 3 of the BITD races. Parker 250, UTV World Championships, and Laughlin Desert Classic. The Rally Sportsman class is designed for racers to participate in BITD without building a full race UTV. NOTE: This is not a separate Sportsman class. The Rally Sportsman UTV class vehicles are built using production Turbo or NA UTV’s, manufactured by registered companies, i.e. Polaris, Can-Am, Artic Cat, Yamaha, that issues Vin #’s. Companies must produce a minimum number of 1000 units of that exact model and configuration prior to being allowed to participate in this class, at any Best In the Desert Sanctioned Event. Please call Cory Sappington 602-769-6164 with questions. This class is a stock production class and all components must remain stock except for those modifications permitted herein. All stock manufacturer delivered components on the vehicle must be retained unless specifically allowed to be removed and documented herein. Manufacturer’s body, engine, transmission, drive train, chassis combination and seat configuration must be retained. 6 Point Aftermarket Roll-Cage. (No stock roll cages allowed) Polaris RS1 exempt Aftermarket suspension allowed but must utilize factory pivot points. Maximum tire size is 32x10.5x15. Tire must have manufacture size on tire and say 32”.
No multiple tires per corner permitted Front and rear bumpers are required
Side Panels / Doors Required (Doors must be secured to prevent from popping open) Window Nets Required and Roof Panel Required
One 2.5lb Fire Extinguisher Mounted On UTV w/ Quick Release.
5- Point Seat Belts Required 2” or 3” Wide Belts OK, 3” Preferred
One Piece Fire-Suit Required SFI.A5"

dbq61537

Both Lucas Oil Short Course Series, require...

Safety door bars on the Drivers side, and a fixed Door Panel...and it is highly advised, you have a window net...(I believe the old TORC rules required the net).

Sent from my iPad using race-deZert

TwistyItch

I have fully functioning OEM doors with lower inserts on my X3. I have also installed removable door bars made from 1.75 .095 DOM. When I am playing and the Fiance is in the car, the doors function and the bars are out. When it comes time to race, the bars go in and the doors bolt shut.
What race series allows this set-up? Can you post some photos or PM me some of what this looks like? Is your cage something you built or is that option available through a cage maker? This is exactly what I was originally thinking of.