Opinion Needed!!

fishd00d

What A Joke
Reaction
Greg needs you guys to post what you think about these videos...need more rebound?? More compression??? How do you guys think his truck is handeling....please let us know!

http://www.pencilart.com/photo/vids/rialto/gregwhoops2.wmv
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.pencilart.com/photo/vids/rialto/gregwhoops3.wmv>http://www.pencilart.com/photo/vids/rialto/gregwhoops3.wmv</A>

Go Big Or Go Home
United Jumping Truck Society
U.J.T.S. Manwhore

cleartoy

Reaction
Since it took so damn long to load the first pic, i didnt look at the others. It looked great to me. I would not change a thing.

Is he complaining?

85 Toyota xtracab 4x4(for sale)
94 Toyota stdcab 2x4
99 Yamaha YZ250

Got Sand??

Greg

Reaction
Not complaining, but there are some things that need to be adjusted, i think i have since figured it out but want others' opinions and then i'll explain what I know is wrong and hopefully show what to look for when setting-up your truck. Like "if you watch the way the front does this and reacts like that then you can determine what needs work". I figure instead of just talking about tuning, we can do real life "workshop" stuff.

Greg

cleartoy

Reaction
Sounds good Gregg. You goin to Ocotillo this weekend?

85 Toyota xtracab 4x4(for sale)
94 Toyota stdcab 2x4
99 Yamaha YZ250

Got Sand??

Jack

Reaction
The only thing it needs is numbers on the sides.....

TRDshaunTRD

Reaction
what adjustments can you make? Is your shock a double bypass, tripple...?? Just guessing here, but it looks like your front gets kicked up a little when hitting the face of a whoop, so I would guess that you could use a little less compression for that in order to keep your front end more level?? But on the big air, you might want to keep that compression high, or go with a lower compression with an air bump for those big jumps. So does this sound at all right? But you look like you are running just fine to me, and I wouldnt be to concearned about this little stuff untill you have numbers on the side!!

"Those who risk nothing, are nothing."

Steve_HKmtrsprts

Reaction
Is that gonna be the whoop section at the D-Day race. If so, YAHOO!!!

I had the same opinion as TRDShaun looks like rebound is fine but the front seems to bang hard I might thik about a bump stop if you cant adjust the shocks upfront anymore. My uneducated opinion. I am gonna be doing the same testing hopefully next weekend in Barstowe. I'll post vids as well..

Donahoe

Reaction
needs more rear rebound for one... looks like your rear end isnt reacting quick enough to the bump then its wight tranfering to late.

NEVER LIFT!!!!!

1992f150

Reaction
greg, i wonder how much is just weight balance? I noticed at the jump contest it would nose dive each jump.

Azusa: shame of the foothills

Greg

Reaction
Heres what has to be done; the front needs a little less rebound (especially the last 1/2 of travel, where both coils are working) and the comp. seems to be fine, by letting the wheels drop faster it will allow for more dwell on the comp stroke. As for the rear, i need a little faster rebound (need to drill holes in the pistons for that) and more comp damping in the early stages, that will keep the wheels from coming too far off the ground. One thing to note, the ratio of sprung to unsprung weight, the rear of my truck is very light so i have trouble maintaining control of the axle. If there were more weight back there i could run a heavier spring and that would speed the rebound up. Today i went out there and just made an adjustment to the front rebound (sped it up just a little) and that was a huge difference from how it was working in the video. I cant emphasize enough how important tuning is.
As for the whoop section being part of the course for the event on the 12th, no, its too far from the spectator area and most people have said its just too rough. I built it mostly for testing.

Greg

orvacian

Reaction
One thing that seems more important to me is how much you have to slow down during hard turns, why not get some kind of swaybar on the back? You can rail it through the whoops but you are loosing lots of time in the turns. It looks great through the whoops though!

Greg

Reaction
Two reasons its so slow in the turns; 1) there was no water on them at the time and they get REALLY soft, like driving through silt but a 60 ft radius turn. and 2) stock 225k mile 4.0, it just doesnt have a ton of power to push the back around. Yes a sway bar would help and that is on the "things to try" list.

Greg