Opinion Please: whats your idea of a "Good" lap length for a loop race.

What is a racers opinion of an ideal loop lap race length?

• Under 50 miles

Votes: 16 13.9%
  • 50-65 miles

Votes: 26 22.6%
  • 65-85 miles

Votes: 32 27.8%
  • 85-100+ miles.

Votes: 41 35.7%

• Total voters

prerunner1499

Reaction
As some of you know, we are in the process of getting a race going in Oregon. We have options for several lap lengths. We would like to solicit your input (as a racer) as to what is your opinion of the ideal lap length for a loop race.

Chase 2

Reaction
It kind of depends on the terrain, how long the race will be, and what kind of average speed expected. That is just for considering lapped traffic. Nothing worse than having the fast guys finishing the first lap before the last cars even get off the line. Other considerations include the number of pits available and chase access.

Jack

Reaction
Depends if it is an area that you can chase in or if it is a closed area.

prerunner1499

Reaction
A little more info: The area is available for easy chasing, there are several access points for broken vehicle retreival (north, south, east and west) and 2-or more very good visual locations. We have identified one easy main route for chasing that leads in to about the 1/2 way point. Total miles from main pit area to chase / alt. pit is +/- 15ish miles (have not measured yet)
Terrain varies from some moderately technical rocky areas (dubbed the Oregon Goat Trail) to moderate speed sweepers on dirt or gravel snaking through some very neat terain. Some good 2 track thrown in for whatever, and some very fast stuff. Fast gravel stuff would be kept to a miminum for safety. Kind of the perfect mix we think. We just need to know what you as racers prefer and why. We have our ideas, but need input from you the racers.
Thanks for your input and keep voting please.
Kevin

HDRA1

The Godfather
Reaction
you got alot of things to think of

how many entries (if say 25 to 45) you need to go at least 45 miles let the fast cars go every 30 seconds and slower classes every 15 to 20 seconds
safety medical crews access
course workers alot of them are not going to have 4x4's they need to get to road crossings check points and retrevial
pit areas must be able to be accessed by all kinds of trucks and cars cause you got to get port-a-potties ambulances media and so on out there
radio access to reach all spots of the course with a relay and someone to man the radio all day

if you have any questions send me a message

Super

Reaction
you got alot of things to think of

how many entries (if say 25 to 45) you need to go at least 45 miles let the fast cars go every 30 seconds and slower classes every 15 to 20 seconds
safety medical crews access
course workers alot of them are not going to have 4x4's they need to get to road crossings check points and retrevial
pit areas must be able to be accessed by all kinds of trucks and cars cause you got to get port-a-potties ambulances media and so on out there
radio access to reach all spots of the course with a relay and someone to man the radio all day

if you have any questions send me a message

I agree.

Chase 2

Reaction
If you have good access like you say then I vote for five 100 mile loops. A longer race will attract more people from a greater distance.

prerunner1499

Reaction
Good comments keep them coming guys please, thanks.

3 Amigos Racing

Reaction
I would think that a start up race in the NW would be more of a success if the miles were kept to a reasonable distance to get teams on baord at first.
Keep the level of support required to a minimum and reduce costs and people needed for both the teams and the promotor. Make it easy to get the entires to come out. Less than 50 mile loops ala SNORE, MORE, DRIVE and MDR.

prerunner1499

Reaction
Also, for our first race, we're just trying to figure out a sort of happy medium. What will draw racers, spectators to support the town of Paisley, and make it worth while for the small (sponsored by visa) racers like myself, and be worth the trip for larger more structured teams with alot of support. All comments are good and welcome, keep them coming, and remember to vote in the poll.

Jeepspeedster

Reaction
Come down and check out how Cassy (BITD) does Parker 135 mile loop layout.
It has a 10 miles of hard stuff followed by a 10 mile of easy stuff followed by a few miles of hard...

Love the course.

prerunner1499

Reaction
BUMP: would like to keep this on the front page,

MODS is it possible to make this a "sticky" for a few days.

TyBo1001

Reaction
For me it would all depend on the number and quality of the vehicles. If I am racing, I prefer the longer courses but as someone that has volunteered for a race association, it sucks to be waiting 3-4 hrs for a sportsman car to finish it's last lap after everyone has parked already. More milage =more volunteers and resources needed. Another item is fans, if you are wanting to make it spectator friendly, the shorter laps would make it more entertaining to watch. Friends and families love to see their race car keep coming by the pits. I would say, start with a shorter lap in the 50-65 mile range. Well that my .02...

Forty1Racing

Reaction
I like the shorter loops only because you can have the course mastered after the 1st lap! :D

Wasson Racing

Reaction
long would be cool. and lots of spectator areas also but seperate from the pit areas so people dont crowed the pits its hard enough to find a spot to pit. OH question who is puting on the event?