• Forum membership has its advantages....

Opinions on Total Chaos 2wd Uniball kit

cleartoy

Anybody have any experience with this kit? Ive seen it on a truck before, and it looks tough. The guy was complaining that he did not get full travel (11") wheras the company says 11-13". Thats in their range, but i guess when you spend $2700 you expect the most.

Reason im asking is I want to hook up my 94 Toyota 2wd, and am debating about buying this kit, or having the guy that does all my fabrication make 4" wider or so with Uniballs.

Thanks.

Got Sand??

BIG_FAT_LOSER

I do not have the kit, But their arms are already 3" or 4" wider and a uniball option is available. I was quoted a little aver 3 grand for the uniball kit at Kartek. Might be less if you get it direct. But as with the other products from Total Chaos, I have heard nothing but good things.

<font color=red>PAT KAPKO</font color=red>
"DISCO FEVER"

Mike_HKmtrsprts

It looks like a nice kit, is that 11" with a coilover or with stock torsions. Because I was told that Camburgs kit gets 14" with a coilover. Look around before you drop that kinda money.

sam_i

wait a minute - this was supposed to be your daily driver!!

I've started working on my 93 too - as much as the cold (here in wisconsin) allows me to......

good luck with the kit - keep us posted on what you do

samir

"..... damn Jimmy, that some ass good coffee"

cleartoy

The guy had the stock torsion bar. Thats a good point, i didnt think about that.

Yeah, if i buy a kit or have one made, i do not want to run balljoints. I believe Camburgs kit uses ball joints(they have a pic with the arms with Billstien bypass and some air bumps.

Duffco has a kit, with an upper Uniball, but i believe a lower ball joint.

THanks all.

Got Sand??

fishd00d

What A Joke
I beleve all the kits that are "bolt on" use a lower ball joint. I could be wrong though.

I have heard nothing but good about the Total Chaos 2WD kit also. My 4WD is great! I have heard of some problems with the duffco upper uniball (on a race truck :) ) breaking.

Personally I would go with the Total Chaos kit.

Go Big Or Go Home

JasonHutter

We have a unibal on the upper a-arm and balljoints on the lower arms. When we first started running this we broke a lower ball joint in half (basically pulled the ball out of the joint). What was happening is we were still using the stock type bump stops on the lower a-arms for up travel. We hit too hard and the lower arm stopped at the bump stop, but the tire wanted to keep going. The tire ended up in the clutch master cylinder before it stopped. To remidy the problem, we mounted hydraulic bump stops directly above the upper uniballs and built a pad for them to hit above the uniballs. We haven't had a lower ball joint blow out since (knock on wood), because everytime we hit the hydraulic bumps we are pushing the ball joint together instead of pulling it apart.

Jason
P.S. We still carry spares though!

I should clarify, we don't have the Total Chaos kit, just the same consept.

cleartoy

THanks for the info guys. That makes alot of sense. I had to re read what you wrote a few times Jason, but that is so logical, I almsot fell out of the chair. Sucks you had to learn the hardway, but now you are set.

Got Sand??

jeff

Somebody needs to contact Duffco Dan and tell him he needs to rethink his website page names. Spaces between words wreak havoc with most systems and his links all point to a local machine... not one connected to the net.

Example - long travel.htm
C:\My Documents\My Webs\Millennium4\images\franktoy3.jpg

I tried an e-mail link to tell him myself but it didn't work from my school machine.

Aloha

Jkrell

Dan over at duffco builds quality toyota suspension. Overall, he knows toyota's and toyota setup pretty darn good. He is currently building my toyota prerunner/racetruck (more of a prerunner but maybe I'll make a race or two in mdr class 1400) and it's coming out pretty good. I think we are going to try and tow it up to the Inland Prerunners sand blast this weekend for display in the Duffco booth. Come by and check it out. Also, dan will be racing his street truck that has his long travel kit on it in the stock class. Low horsepower but that truck should be pretty nimble with the short wheelbase and 31" tires. Time will tell, but I've got my money on him.

Jon Krellwitz

DuffcoDan

You are working with a Short/Long Arm suspension system. The limitations on wheel travel are from the short, upper arm topping out. There are a number of things that can be done to keep the upper spherical ball from topping out too soon. Just to name one, you can add height to the spindle, which might be hard to understand, but it lessens the camber change throughout the travel. This translates to more wheel movement. It is important that you do your homework on set-up. This is the key to getting that "extra" travel. If you don't know what to do then have a reputable shop do the set-up. You can expect 12-14" of travel with a three inch extended upper arm w/ spherical ball. At the limits of the travel (metal-metal) you can get up to 15". When the shock, bump stops, limit straps, etc. are installed it is safe to say there is approximately 14" of working travel.

TrucksR4Girls

My brother has that same kit, and im buying it also. He gets 12" out of it, and if you get a new spindle you can get up to 14!. Duffco says they offer 18" if you buy there spindle, BUT I know one of the guys who helped design there suspension and he says they use bad material! Total Chaos, or camburg would be the way to go, and there is always things you can do to get extra travel!

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
TrucksR4Girls

Why dont you read the post right above your's...from the man himself.

Kris

"Revenge is best served cold"

DuffcoDan

I would like to know where to get one of those tape measures that show 18" of travel on a Toyota with stock pivot points. That would be cool!

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
I agree with sbro. Incompitence at its best on TrucksR4girls part.

Kris

"Revenge is best served cold"